3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Manual vs CVT...?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 03:31 PM
5 Year Member
MFF, I will definitely test drive the new Fit if/when I decide to buy a new vehicle. Reviews indicate the 2015 is quieter, but it's the loss of potential fuel economy that disappoints me. At least half the 100k miles on my 2007 Sport MT are long interstate trips, so I'm quite used to the higher revs (and more noise than I'd likely experience in the new Fit).

Ultimately the test drive and dynamics of shifting these 6 closely spaced gears -- compared to other cars I will also test drive -- will be the basis for my decision.

Old 01-04-2015, 03:53 PM
Originally Posted by ten_year_man
MFF, I will definitely test drive the new Fit if/when I decide to buy a new vehicle. Reviews indicate the 2015 is quieter, but it's the loss of potential fuel economy that disappoints me. At least half the 100k miles on my 2007 Sport MT are long interstate trips, so I'm quite used to the higher revs (and more noise than I'd likely experience in the new Fit).

Ultimately the test drive and dynamics of shifting these 6 closely spaced gears -- compared to other cars I will also test drive -- will be the basis for my decision.
I've said in a few other threads that it's a shame that both 5th and 6th aren't a bit taller for the former and a lot taller for the latter. I think this car would easily get 45mpg hwy and also have a good boost in range for the tiny fuel tank.

But I said that after only driving it around on the flat roads of gulf coast Florida and I-95 up through North Carolina. After spending 2 weeks in the hilly and much more congested regions north of D.C. and Baltimore, I'm starting to understand why the Fit is geared the way it is. If it was taller geared then it is then I would have had to row a lot more while up in that part of the country.

The more time I spend in the car, and the more I get accustomed to it specifically, the less my initial dislikes seem to matter. I've been able to average over 50mpg for some of my more typical local driving routes that have speed limits under 50 mph and that's something I never expected to see with this car.

Old 01-04-2015, 04:27 PM
Originally Posted by cuemark8
I will admit hands down the FIT is by far the best in its category for cargo capacity and being able to haul stuff. Seats are like magic.

If having the cargo capacity is priority then get the FIT or consider a larger class of vehicle.

The new 2015 Volkswagen Golf offers a manual transmission. So does the Focus hatch in any trim level. The Subaru CX hatch offers it. Just some options that pop in my head. Probably all considerably pricier though.

This is about us diehards who prefer a manual transmission.
I currently have a 2011 VW golf TDI with a manual transmission. Really nice car that I've been spoiled with all the power and creature comforts of it. Even though my extended family is a die-hard honda family I was seriously considering going with another golf just because I enjoyed my TDI so much (a gas golf though).... but the reliability of VW scares me. I have considered the fiesta and sonic along with the fit for a while now. I just know that my wifes car will always be an auto (she can't drive stick) so if I go auto as well, I won't have a stick car for a while probably.

Old 01-04-2015, 05:17 PM
Originally Posted by Kluch
I currently have a 2011 VW golf TDI with a manual transmission. Really nice car that I've been spoiled with all the power and creature comforts of it. Even though my extended family is a die-hard honda family I was seriously considering going with another golf just because I enjoyed my TDI so much (a gas golf though).... but the reliability of VW scares me. I have considered the fiesta and sonic along with the fit for a while now. I just know that my wifes car will always be an auto (she can't drive stick) so if I go auto as well, I won't have a stick car for a while probably.
I would (and did) avoid the Sonic if possible. The resale values on them are going to be terrible in the coming years. Lots of rental car companies use them as their sub-compact model.

Before I decided on the Fit I did regular new and used inventory searches online for 2013, 2014, 2015 hatchbacks under $18K. There was a group of 22 2014 Sonics with less than 20k miles being offered by Enterprise for $10k - $12K each. I called and asked them how often they have that many for resale and they said at least twice a year for that one area, which was St. Pete, Florida.

Old 01-04-2015, 08:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Chazman
These are my reasons why I got the CVT version (& I'm a die-hard MT guy since 1978).

1. My daily commute is usually bumper to bumper traffic.

2. CVT Fit is revving about 1000+ rpm LOWER than 6MT Fit at tyipcal hwy speeds. Fit is already noisy and don't want the extra noise from the extra 1000+ rpm!

3. CVT gets better MPG than 6MT.

4. Many reviews out there saying that Honda did an excellent job of setting the CVT for the '15 Fit.

5. CVT is always at the RIGHT 'gear' for the right speed.

My 2 other cars are still MT so I don't miss too much.
Does the CVT actually get better MPG in the real world? EPA ratings couldn't matter less to me.

And CVT's are noisier than manuals under acceleration and sound like mopeds in doing so. Plus, Honda + non-manual transmissions is a recipe for disaster.

Old 01-05-2015, 09:53 AM
Originally Posted by mike410b
Honda + non-manual transmissions is a recipe for disaster.
Would you elaborate on this bold statement?

Old 01-05-2015, 11:00 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CreepyD
Would you elaborate on this bold statement?
Honda has a history of failures with their automatic transmissions.

Old 01-05-2015, 11:01 AM
After giving up on the 6-speed automatic in the G8 GT and going back to a manual in the Focus, I would've been crazy to then give up on the stir-it-yourself and get a CVT. I don't regret my decision for a second, although my daily commute is 5.5 miles long each way.

If I had to sit in stop and go traffic every single day, I think I would...reevaluate my life choices.

Old 01-05-2015, 11:20 AM
Any car company has a history of failures with automatic transmission.

If anyone keeps there vehicle to the point of failure or until "the wheels fall off" usually it seems when the transmission fails this the point the vehicle fails.
It's the straw that breaks the camels back!

Unless and engine blows up, usually the transmission will be that major piece of equipment that fails and ultimately causes someone to trade for another vehicle.

I firmly believe are engines and vehicles are made well. Oils are better than what they used to be. The tolerances with stuff is built to leaves little room for error. If and engine fails. Most likely it was used and abused and oil wasn't changed when it should have.

If you one of those who wants to drive a car forever the transmission truly seems to be the weak link in any vehicle.

Old 01-05-2015, 12:23 PM
5 Year Member

If anyone keeps there vehicle to the point of failure or until "the wheels fall off" usually it seems when the transmission fails this the point the vehicle fails.

Unless and engine blows up, usually the transmission will be that major piece of equipment that fails and ultimately causes someone to trade for another vehicle.

I firmly believe are engines and vehicles are made well. Oils are better than what they used to be. The tolerances with stuff is built to leaves little room for error. If and engine fails. Most likely it was used and abused and oil wasn't changed when it should have.

If you one of those who wants to drive a car forever the transmission truly seems to be the weak link in any vehicle.
You obviously didn't google Honda transmission failures and look up the multitudes of Accords/TL's/Odysseys/etc., that had premature failures.

Or the ludicrous nature of code P0847 that pops up on the majority of 5AT Fits.

Old 01-05-2015, 12:29 PM
5 Year Member
After I picked up my Fit CVT, I tried the shift paddles on the steering wheel, I noticed that the RPM is around 3K with S7 at 65 MPH while CVT is hovering at 2K at the same speed.

Old 01-05-2015, 12:54 PM
I'll be 50 this month and have been very happily driving a manual transmission since 16 years of age except for maybe three years a couple of decades ago.

In November I finally had to part ways with my beloved Honda Prelude SH 6-speed, and I swore I'd buy an MT to replace it. Things moved very quickly when we found a dealership that had any Fits at all. I had already driven the EX CVT and was surprised how much I liked (er, tolerated?) the feel compared to some of the dismal reviews of CVT in general I had read.

Right before the deal was done on the CVT a trailer came in with an MT, so they offered me a test drive. It literally had not even been prepped or inspected by the dealership for sale. It still had the paper and plastic all over it. Anyway, of course I wanted to drive the manual before deciding, and I figured I'd go with the MT. You could have knocked my husband over with a feather when I drive the MT and passed on it. I don't speak the language of many of the other car experts on here, but I can tell you that it didn't have the power or fun factor I would want out of an MT, and it must be due to the 6th gear issue people are discussing. It just felt inadequate for an MT, although shifting it was very easy. That's all I can say.

Would I feel more hip with the MT? Undoubtedly. It's what I originally wanted. I'm not sure what surprised me more: my acceptance of the CVT or my rejection of the MT. And for the record, I haven't used the paddle shifters yet. I got the EX for the sunroof and consider all the other trimmings that come with that package pure gadgetry.

Old 01-05-2015, 01:53 PM
Originally Posted by mike410b

> Does the CVT actually get better MPG in the real world? EPA ratings couldn't matter less to me.

> And CVT's are noisier than manuals under acceleration and sound like mopeds in doing so. Plus, Honda + non-manual transmissions is a recipe for disaster.
> Personally dunno. But I believe so. There is NO WAY that manual (6MT) would get better MPG when the egine spining extra 1000+ rpm higher than the CVT at hwy speeds. Enging on CVT is turning at 22-2300 rpm at 65-70 mph whereas 6MT is turning at 34-3500 rpm at same speeds.

> It sounds like engine is making more noise than the CVT when accelerating.

My typical daily commute is bumper to bumper traffic, and the CVT is the way to go in my case.

Old 01-05-2015, 02:03 PM
but I can tell you that it didn't have the power or fun factor I would want out of an MT, and it must be due to the 6th gear issue people are discussing. It just felt inadequate for an MT, although shifting it was very easy. That's all I can say.
Most of the power and fun in the MT is at higher rpms north of 3500 - 4000 while using 2nd through 5th and preferably on a non-straight 35 - 50mph road. If you were looking for power and fun in a 1.5 while in 6th gear then you were looking in the wrong place.

Old 01-05-2015, 02:47 PM
Another thing to consider when deciding whether to get the manual or CVT is trade in value. An automatic usually brings more in resale value. It's much easier to resell than deal with limited marked of manual transmission buyers.
If you don't drive a lot, or you trade in vehicles often, then CVT may very well pay for it's self.
The CVT will yield you better fuel mileage and may bring better resale value and may totally offset the premium price it commands.

So even if you one of those frugal people that's to cheap to pay for CVT It may not save you any money in the end.

Old 01-05-2015, 03:07 PM
Originally Posted by Alesa
I'll be 50 this month and have been very happily driving a manual transmission since 16 years of age except for maybe three years a couple of decades ago.

In November I finally had to part ways with my beloved Honda Prelude SH 6-speed, and I swore I'd buy an MT to replace it. Things moved very quickly when we found a dealership that had any Fits at all. I had already driven the EX CVT and was surprised how much I liked (er, tolerated?) the feel compared to some of the dismal reviews of CVT in general I had read.

Right before the deal was done on the CVT a trailer came in with an MT, so they offered me a test drive. It literally had not even been prepped or inspected by the dealership for sale. It still had the paper and plastic all over it. Anyway, of course I wanted to drive the manual before deciding, and I figured I'd go with the MT. You could have knocked my husband over with a feather when I drive the MT and passed on it. I don't speak the language of many of the other car experts on here, but I can tell you that it didn't have the power or fun factor I would want out of an MT, and it must be due to the 6th gear issue people are discussing. It just felt inadequate for an MT, although shifting it was very easy. That's all I can say.

Would I feel more hip with the MT? Undoubtedly. It's what I originally wanted. I'm not sure what surprised me more: my acceptance of the CVT or my rejection of the MT. And for the record, I haven't used the paddle shifters yet. I got the EX for the sunroof and consider all the other trimmings that come with that package pure gadgetry.
Ya, a couple months back I decided to test drive a new 2015 MT fit and from what I can remember I wasn't all that impressed with the gearing or feel of the manual transmission on the car. Haven't driven the CVT version yet as I just recently started thinking my vw golf TDI might not be the most economical choice right now. I probably need to test drive both again, but I distinctly remember not being wooed by the MT in the new fit, hence my choice with the golf.

Old 01-05-2015, 03:09 PM
The CVT will yield you better fuel mileage and may bring better resale value and may totally offset the premium price it commands.

So even if you one of those frugal people that's to cheap to pay for CVT It may not save you any money in the end.
Unfortunately I know this IS true. It's getting harder to sell MT cars these days, unless it's a sports car... I've talked to a few private sellers and I know they've personally had trouble selling MT cars. Bummer.

Old 01-05-2015, 10:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Chazman
> Personally dunno. But I believe so. There is NO WAY that manual (6MT) would get better MPG when the egine spining extra 1000+ rpm higher than the CVT at hwy speeds. Enging on CVT is turning at 22-2300 rpm at 65-70 mph whereas 6MT is turning at 34-3500 rpm at same speeds.

> It sounds like engine is making more noise than the CVT when accelerating.

My typical daily commute is bumper to bumper traffic, and the CVT is the way to go in my case.
My 5MT revs around 700-1000 RPM higher at a given speed than Ms.410'bs 5AT....and I get considerably better fuel economy. In fact, I probably get better fuel economy than many of the GK CVT folk on here. RPM at speed is a hugely overrated factor leading to a car's fuel economy.

Originally Posted by Alesa
I can tell you that it didn't have the power or fun factor I would want out of an MT, and it must be due to the 6th gear issue people are discussing. It just felt inadequate for an MT, although shifting it was very easy. That's all I can say.
The gearing in the new Fit is well matched to the car's powerband. You must be expecting something much more powerful than a 1.5l economy car or you were bogging the car all around.

If the car wasn't fun...its because of the car surrounding the transmission.

Old 01-05-2015, 10:42 PM
I like my manny tranny! vroom vroom! I have this 15 fit ex and a 07 Honda Ridgeline RTL so I have the best of both worlds. I live in Iowa! No traffic jams here! lol! Fun driving a manual in this state! gotta love it! And the Ridgeline is great in snow! Yippee!

Last edited by bbhondaguy; 01-05-2015 at 10:45 PM.
Old 01-06-2015, 10:40 AM

We still have our 1999 Corolla, 407K km. Engine started using some oil, but auto tranny is still running strong.
The Fit is meant to be corolla's replacement but now I have my doubts. We do keep cars for a long time.

Quick Reply: Manual vs CVT...?