3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2015 Fit EX would not start this AM

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 12:39 PM
2015 Fit EX would not start this AM

My car had a rough time starting this morning. I wonder if anyone else has had a similar issue?

It was cold this morning, when the car finally started the outside temp gage showed 15 degrees - which is cold, but not horribly! The first couple of tries the engine wasn't engaged at all. The next couple of times I heard the engine for just a second, then finally it started on the 5th or 6th try.

My guess is that this was an issue with the brake pedal not being depressed enough, maybe due to the cold weather.

Thoughts anyone? All you folks in the mid-west where it's a darned sight colder than here, any issues there?

Old 01-07-2015, 02:36 PM
5 Year Member
It was 3 degrees here, with a wind chill around -25 and mine started right up this morning without hesitation. No issues.

If the brake pedal was the issue, it would just boot up the radio and other accessories. If you didn't hear the starter engage at all and all the electronics came on, I'd suspect that was your issue.

When the engine finally did start, did it come right to life or did it sound slow/sluggish/hesitant? Did the starter have to crank a couple times?

Old 01-07-2015, 03:10 PM
5 Year Member
Have to be very specific.

Originally Posted by sheryllynn
My car had a rough time starting this morning. I wonder if anyone else has had a similar issue?

It was cold this morning, when the car finally started the outside temp gage showed 15 degrees - which is cold, but not horribly! The first couple of tries the engine wasn't engaged at all. (Not engaged? Like you heard the starter spinning really quickly and the engine was not cranking, or absolute silence occurred? Three things happen, the starter moves, the starter spins, the engine spins) The next couple of times I heard the engine for just a second (so it was chug chug chug, vroom, chug chug? haha) , then finally it started on the 5th or 6th try.

My guess is that this was an issue with the brake pedal not being depressed enough, maybe due to the cold weather.

Thoughts anyone? All you folks in the mid-west where it's a darned sight colder than here, any issues there?
I added some bold type inside of the quote above...

10 degrees on the gauge here in Southern Indiana, car started just like it was summer and 80. Idles higher when cold but I think that is in the programming.

As for the starter... When diagnosing there are key sounds.

Tic tic tic (electrical sound) = likely a dead battery or poor connection
Clunk or clank, = equals starter jumping out trying to engage a flywheel or flexplate but not spinning
Whirling (fast electric motor spinning) = noise made when a starter spins but not engaged with anything
Cranking = Noise made every time you start the car just before it idles
Idling = noise when it's running without your foot on the accelerator

Hope this helps

Old 01-07-2015, 04:36 PM
Does OP have a CVT or 6MT?

Also, OP needs to clarify what it means by "engine wasn't engaged at all" and "heard the engine for just a second".

My interpretation is that "starter was spinning but not turning over the engine" and "heard the engine turning for just a second and starter slipped and spinning only".

If that's the case, then OP is having the starter/solenoid issue.

Old 01-07-2015, 08:25 PM
5 Year Member
-2°F when I left this morning (Middle West), and she fired right up. No issues.

es

Old 01-07-2015, 08:34 PM
There was no clicking, whirring, spinning. The brake pedal only depressed slightly, and when I pushed the starter the radio etc came on.

When I heard the engine slightly, it was just that. I heard it start to turn over for less than a second, then silence (and again the radio was on). When it finally did start, it started right up, no hesitation.

Sorry I wasn't clearer, I don't speak "car" very well. From what people have written it still seems to me to be a brake pedal issue. Oh one more answer, the car has CVT.

Thanks for the input. The dealer told me they had never heard of this type of issue before, so I thought I'd check online. Glad to know it's not a common problem, but it sucks for me!

Sheryl

Old 01-07-2015, 08:43 PM
it was -1 F degrees and lower with the wind chill and no issues at the moment from this morning. I'll update if that changes tomorrow.

Old 01-08-2015, 05:59 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sheryllynn
There was no clicking, whirring, spinning. The brake pedal only depressed slightly, and when I pushed the starter the radio etc came on.

When I heard the engine slightly, it was just that. I heard it start to turn over for less than a second, then silence (and again the radio was on). When it finally did start, it started right up, no hesitation.

Sorry I wasn't clearer, I don't speak "car" very well. From what people have written it still seems to me to be a brake pedal issue. Oh one more answer, the car has CVT.

Thanks for the input. The dealer told me they had never heard of this type of issue before, so I thought I'd check online. Glad to know it's not a common problem, but it sucks for me!

Sheryl
Hi Sheryl. You have an automatic ie CVT. You do not need to step on brake pedal as long as the car is in park. On my 09 GE I just reach in and start it up while I clean the snow and ice off.

Old 01-08-2015, 06:55 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Black3sr
Hi Sheryl. You have an automatic ie CVT. You do not need to step on brake pedal as long as the car is in park. On my 09 GE I just reach in and start it up while I clean the snow and ice off.
With the push button start on the EX for 2015, you do need to step on the brake while pushing the start button.

No brake = car won't start.

Old 01-08-2015, 07:40 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by andre181
With the push button start on the EX for 2015, you do need to step on the brake while pushing the start button.

No brake = car won't start.
Did not know that. Thanks. What is it with these push button starts? Why?

I had one on my new 1964 Mini. Why? Well the battery was in the trunk. The cable ran under the middle of the floor. When it got to just in front of the seats they stuck the start button there on the floor. Oh and I paid $1535 Cdn and there were no taxes back then.

Old 01-08-2015, 09:09 AM
5 Year Member
My 1950 Ford 8N tractor also has push-button start (6 volt electrics, natch!).

I'm not sure if my Fit is "retro" or my tractor was 60 years ahead of the trend.

es

Old 01-08-2015, 11:56 AM
4 degrees out this AM, FIT cranked albeit slower than normal, but it turned over without any funny noises.

I will be investing into the cold weather heater kit and a battery maintainer once the weather gets better. These artic blast winters are becoming more common place here in CT as of late.

Old 01-08-2015, 02:28 PM
I had a similar issue, a couple days ago, here in Ohio. Went into the garage to start our Fit, and no luck. It's an EX-L CVT. I pushed the brake pedal, as always, pushed the start button and nothing. (I've noticed that after the car has set for a few hours, vacuum assist for the power brakes has depleted, and you have to provide more foot pressure to ensure start safety brake switch is activated). I checked to make sure it was in park. I turned the lights on bright and had good battery power. I recycled everything I could think of, including get out and back into the car. I took the key fob out of my pocket and held it close to the start button. None of these actions works. I had all the dash indicators, when I pushed the start button, but nothing in the way of an attempt to start. I mean no starter sound, no clicking, no starter engagement....nothing. I can back into the house and got on FitFreak to see if others had similar problems. I could not find a thread describing the problem I was having. I had some errands to run and took our other vehicle. Came back a couple hours later and thought I'd start trying to find out what was wrong with the Fit. Got inside, pressed the brake pedal, pushed the start button and was totally surprised when it started right up....no hesitation, no nothing. Since then we've driven it about six times, and have not had the problem again. I hope it never rears its ugly head again, but next time I'll have it towed to my dealer. Anyone else had a similar issue?

Dennis

Old 07-25-2017, 07:21 PM
I have had problems with the starter on my 2015 Fit, starting at 36,300 miles. I replaced the battery, thinking it was that, but no go. The entire starter had to be replaced. I called Honda and their reply was "So sorry, but too bad for you." I will never buy another Honda again.

Old 07-25-2017, 09:54 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
you joined the forum just to tell us your bad news?

the hell mang..

Old 07-25-2017, 10:26 PM
5 Year Member
Fit not starting

Hi Folks,

Everyone by now should know that all Honda Fits come with an undersized battery....they always have. Honda, of course, will not admit this.

Also the A/C unit is underachieving, that is why when you go to Houston or Phoenix, you see very few Fits. As long as you know this going in, you can deal with it.

Old 07-25-2017, 10:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan

the hell mang..
Well, geal got to start somewhere.

Old 07-25-2017, 10:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Smsgt178
I had a similar issue, a couple days ago, here in Ohio. Went into the garage to start our Fit, and no luck. It's an EX-L CVT. I pushed the brake pedal, as always, pushed the start button and nothing. (I've noticed that after the car has set for a few hours, vacuum assist for the power brakes has depleted, and you have to provide more foot pressure to ensure start safety brake switch is activated). I checked to make sure it was in park. I turned the lights on bright and had good battery power. I recycled everything I could think of, including get out and back into the car. I took the key fob out of my pocket and held it close to the start button. None of these actions works. I had all the dash indicators, when I pushed the start button, but nothing in the way of an attempt to start. I mean no starter sound, no clicking, no starter engagement....nothing. I can back into the house and got on FitFreak to see if others had similar problems. I could not find a thread describing the problem I was having. I had some errands to run and took our other vehicle. Came back a couple hours later and thought I'd start trying to find out what was wrong with the Fit. Got inside, pressed the brake pedal, pushed the start button and was totally surprised when it started right up....no hesitation, no nothing. Since then we've driven it about six times, and have not had the problem again. I hope it never rears its ugly head again, but next time I'll have it towed to my dealer. Anyone else had a similar issue?

Dennis
The LX doesn't have all those gizmos. As long as it is in park, I don't have to step on the brakes, I rotate the key in the ignition, and the Fit starts right up.

Old 07-26-2017, 11:59 AM
Originally Posted by kenchan

the hell mang..
I was on the forum for another Honda I owned before this one, but was not able to access my account. I have owned Hondas since the early 80's, but no more, that is for sure.

Old 07-26-2017, 11:13 PM
5 Year Member
Mine did the same thing, but as it happened at 20,000 miles, the warranty picked up the replacement starter.

I bought this car because my '09 Fit was the most reliable car I've ever owned. Too bad my '15 Fit hasn't been. I've never owned a car I liked so much, but been so disappointed in the quality. Honda has squandered its reputation as far as I'm concerned.

Quick Reply: 2015 Fit EX would not start this AM