3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Possible Direct-Injection Issues

Old 09-28-2017, 01:06 PM
Carbon Deposits

Hi fellas,

I wanted to chime in about issues related to my 2015 Honda Fit LX. Bought the car brand new from a local dealership. Got the extended 6 year/160,000km Honda Warranty because my precious vehicle, a 2009 MINI Cooper S, bled me dry.

The first time I got CEL, VSA, EPS lights was at the 28,000km mark. They replaced the injectors, fuel feed pipe, and performed a valve adjustment. The second time was at the 82,000km. Same symptoms prior to my dash being lit up like a Christmas tree again. They replaced the injectors, spark plugs, coil packs, and performed another valve adjustment.

The car car threw the same codes again last week and this time I told the service advisor that they should check the intake valves for carbon deposits since the engine used direct injection. Sure enough this is what the technician found...

Old 09-28-2017, 01:10 PM
Sorry about starting another post but my phone wouldn’t let me continue typing once I added the pictures.

Anyways, they’ve had my car for over a week now. Thankfully, they hooked me up with a rental. I LOVE having Warranty!!! They said that there’s a chance they might yank the cylinder head off and send it away to be cleaned. Obviously, this doesn’t really solve the carbon build issue. I’m thinking about adding a catch can and plugging the EGR once I get it back from the shop.

Old 09-28-2017, 02:14 PM
Originally Posted by jungle168
Hi fellas,

I wanted to chime in about issues related to my 2015 Honda Fit LX. Bought the car brand new from a local dealership. Got the extended 6 year/160,000km Honda Warranty because my precious vehicle, a 2009 MINI Cooper S, bled me dry.

The first time I got CEL, VSA, EPS lights was at the 28,000
Damn it! This is exactly what happened to my car at 30,000km... my dealerships replaced all my injectors. Now the car runs ok but I guess I will have more coming in future...

Old 09-28-2017, 02:50 PM
I had the same problem, the dealership replaced the fuel injectors, coil packs and that didn't fix the problem so they cleaned the carbon buildup and the problem went away. I paid close to $900 out the door as my car was just out of warranty. Currently have 37K miles so we'll see how long that lasts. I loved the car but this is the only thing I really don't like about it.

Old 09-28-2017, 07:43 PM
5 Year Member
Guess I'll have to source an oil catch can! I'm at about 49K miles and so far so good, but can't be too safe.

Old 09-28-2017, 08:19 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
look like a charcoal bbq grill after a full day of grillin burgers. lol

Old 09-29-2017, 10:04 AM
Originally Posted by idroveacamry
wow glad i have the 100k extened warranty & a catch can

Could show us what type of catch can system you have? now I am interested in installing one myself.

Old 09-29-2017, 11:29 AM
I have a universal radium engineering catch can. The pcv return port on the intake tube just blocked off with an allen bolt & pressure clamp. K tuned breather filter 5/8'' diameter -10an barb, 90 degree -8an fitting from catch can to an hose, and -8an a/n hose to a barb fitting for direct fit to pvc port on the valve cover.

Catch can purchased directly through radium-engineering & all the fittings + hose from summi

if I understand correctly you don't return the "air" back into the intake from the catch can, is that correct?

Old 09-29-2017, 11:58 AM
That's correct the catch can has a breather filter attached it vents into the atmosphere. No re-circulation back into intake.

Are you aware of any drawbacks of not re-circulating in back in the intake?
I am thinking that if I will install it the same way, I can probably use an ebay oil catch can.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Alumin...FZN54b&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-10...NZzeur&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Alumin...FZN54b&vxp=mtr

Last edited by Dr1v3r; 09-29-2017 at 12:07 PM.
Old 09-29-2017, 01:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Dr1v3r
Are you aware of any drawbacks
All air that passes through the small filter to and from the atmosphere is not able to be measured by the MAF sensor, thereby skewing the fuel calculation just a little bit. If it's never set trim codes with that setup then it's probably not enough to worry about, but it's still there.

Old 09-29-2017, 01:43 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ezone
All air that passes through the small filter to and from the atmosphere is not able to be measured by the MAF sensor, thereby skewing the fuel calculation just a little bit. If it's never set trim codes with that setup then it's probably not enough to worry about, but it's still there.
Here's the best way I can describe it...

It's not air that the motor was expecting to see so no difference for that. This is air that has escaped past the valve seals so it's already accounted for.

The real trouble of venting to atmosphere, besides the environmental impact, is that you're removing the positive suction where it's trying to draw out that air and converted it into a passive system with no forced evacuation.

Ultimately, the best solution overall would be to have a sealed system with a catch can that catches 100% of the pollutants. Not sure that's possible though. The passive system does at least stop all re-introduction of pollutants to the motor.

On race motors they add scavenger pumps to create the suction and then run a catch can with an open element. That way you still have a positive system, but with no re-introduction of pollutants.

Old 09-29-2017, 01:57 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
or just drive the car up to 40-50k miles max and just sell it. get a new car. fixed

let the next guy worry about it..lol

Old 09-29-2017, 02:18 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
or just drive the car up to 40-50k miles max and just sell it. get a new car. fixed

That is not my preferred option....

Old 09-29-2017, 06:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan

That's an expensive solution considering the depreciation hit I'd take trading every two years.

Old 09-29-2017, 07:21 PM
5 Year Member
Did you all use Top Tier gas?

Old 10-28-2017, 06:36 PM
Bought a two year old 2012 Fit. About a year ago (@ roughly 65,000 miles) check engine lite came on. Little later engine dragged down badly on hills. Honda charged me to replace one injector. A bit later same problem recurred. Honda made me buy a full new set of injectors. Since then I've noticed that my gas mileage has been declining. Used to average about 37 mpg. Now it doing 33 mpg. Interesting to hear about this "gumming of the intake valves". But I do not notice the engine missing. Will try using a mid grade of gas and running some air intake cleaner. But . . . could there be another cause for declining mileage?

Old 10-28-2017, 09:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by rivrdansr
Bought a two year old 2012 Fit. About a year ago (@ roughly 65,000 miles) check engine lite came on. Little later engine dragged down badly on hills. Honda charged me to replace one injector. A bit later same problem recurred. Honda made me buy a full new set of injectors. Since then I've noticed that my gas mileage has been declining. Used to average about 37 mpg. Now it doing 33 mpg. Interesting to hear about this "gumming of the intake valves". But I do not notice the engine missing. Will try using a mid grade of gas and running some air intake cleaner. But . . . could there be another cause for declining mileage?
Your 2012 Fit is not direct injection.

Old 11-06-2017, 11:36 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by exl500
Did you all use Top Tier gas?
I've always used Top Tier gas at Costco. On occasion Flying J's when I can't (yes boo!) which is very rare. So far over 71K miles no issues. Regular maintenance performed. 2015 Fit Aug 2014 build.

Old 03-25-2018, 01:09 PM
Originally Posted by 328isawesome
I had the same problem, the dealership replaced the fuel injectors, coil packs and that didn't fix the problem so they cleaned the carbon buildup and the problem went away. I paid close to $900 out the door as my car was just out of warranty. Currently have 37K miles so we'll see how long that lasts. I loved the car but this is the only thing I really don't like about it.
These cars are junk. Just got the dreaded P215A dtc. Newer fits and civics have defective injectors that will cause your car to hesitate and eventually stop running. Honda refused to fix my car that is just out of warranty. The cost to repair is $1500, including the fuel rail which is insane since Honda manufactured all new injectors and rail as a replacement but they won’t recall the cars but they replaced the original design because it’s faulty. The newly manufactured injectors won’t work with the existing old rail. Im having the same problem. I’m a mechanic and yep 60k miles and the starter needs replaced.

Old 03-26-2018, 11:09 AM
When you guys say valve adjustment, what does it mean and is it intake valves that you are talking about?
As for carbon buildup, do we need to clean only the intake valves?

Last edited by Sue88; 03-26-2018 at 11:11 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Possible Direct-Injection Issues