3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Wheelskins Leather Cover Review

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 12:57 PM
Wheelskins Leather Cover Review

Hey guys, just got done finalizing the install of my Wheelskins leather steering wheel cover. Now that the install is complete and I have it shrunk down a bit, I'm very happy but I thought I'd give a few notes and tips that worked for me for others that might pick one up.

Notes:
-Quality of the leather is very nice, a few perforations were not all the way and needed to be pushed through with the needle. Overall though the quality is fantastic, feels like a new BMW
-fit around normal parts of the wheel (non-spokes) is fantastic
-Fit around the spokes is a little loose even after fitting, without fitting, it is VERY loose around the spokes, which is very annoying

Installation tips:
-Follow the installation guide to the T and really pull the string tight after every stitch.
-After the install, the leather will be very loose around the spokes I tried two methods to firm it up, both were efffective
1 Take a rag and place it in a bowl of water, microwave until the water is boiling then take the rag out, shake it a bit, and lay it over the loose part of the leather for several minutes.
2 Using a heat gun (shield the plastic with a leather glove or something) blast the loose leather until it snugs up being careful not to damage the leather by overheating it.

All in all I am very happy with the cover, now that it is fitted properly.

Name:  Z16KknZ.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  483.0 KB

Old 01-26-2015, 11:49 AM
5 Year Member
Looks great!

Good idea on the spokes. I took a slightly different approach and used left over thread and went around front and back which really helped pull it tight.

Couple of pics:

Front showing stitch going oposite direction
Name:  nZ59Dgb.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  275.5 KB

Back showing stitch. Tied and tucked the knot in the rear.
Name:  8OgXbpe.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  248.0 KB

Added another hour to the install but worth it. I'm very pleased with the feel and quality.

Photo and info on my install here:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...ml#post1285212

This is the second wheelskin I've used and the first one still looked great after 11 years.