3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Trade-in value of a 2015 Fit

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 10:23 PM
Originally Posted by festiboi
Makes total sense, and your input is much appreciated. My hope was that once these little bugs get worked out that maybe, just maybe, the remainder of the ownership experience would be carefree. But then again, it could be a recurring theme. It's reassuring to know that you had the first experience and that there is hope.

Now that reality is hitting and I could possibly sell the car through Beepi, I'm realizing that it's a terrible idea financially. Any new car is an awful investment, and getting hit with depreciation twice in less than one year on the second car is even more painful. And there is no guarantee that the next car could be better, especially since it'd likely be a GM product.

The warranty is still in effect for the time being, and these are all factors to consider.
No problem! The bold is really what it boils down to. You've got a new car that, aside from some initial quality issues, you seem to like. It's got a warranty, and if at the end of the warranty period you still don't have any confidence in its quality, you can sell it and know it'll have held its value better than other cars because it's a Honda.

Old 05-31-2015, 09:40 PM
Originally Posted by 2015FIT
That sounds tempting.
Although I like my Fit, I do constantly wish for higher MPGs. With that kind of offer I could probably get a 2-3 year old Prius C or 3-5 year old regular Prius. I could probably also get a brand new Mirage.
I have also been looking at 2-3 year old prius prices. I hate to think what I'd lose on the Fit (it has approx 6500 miles on it) but I haven't been extremely happy with the car. The issues have been ironed out, but I just feel "meh" about the car and wish I'd gone for a used prius rather than a new Fit.

Old 06-01-2015, 01:59 AM
Originally Posted by hondafit2015
I have also been looking at 2-3 year old prius prices. I hate to think what I'd lose on the Fit (it has approx 6500 miles on it) but I haven't been extremely happy with the car. The issues have been ironed out, but I just feel "meh" about the car and wish I'd gone for a used prius rather than a new Fit.
Perhaps a regular Prius, but I almost guarantee you'd feel "meh" about the Prius C unless you are only concerned about fuel economy.

Old 06-01-2015, 06:48 AM
Yes, 2012 regular prius.

Old 06-01-2015, 01:53 PM
Originally Posted by GoBucky
That's crazy, you can get a new one for less than that.
This is why I ended up buying a new car

Old 06-02-2015, 06:51 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hondafit2015
Yes, 2012 regular prius.
My oldest daughter drives our 2015 Fit, and next year it is her sisters turn to pick out her car. She has always wanted a Prius (not the C), since I can remember, but we told her our budget would not purchase a new one, as we did the Fit, because it prices out about $6,000 more than the Fit did. She understands that unless she can make the money herself between now and then, we would be shopping for a used one, most likely at least 2 or 3 years old.

That did not phase her in the least, so i suspect this time next year, we will be in the market for a used Prius as well.

Having said that, I did point her in the direction of the new Honda HR-V, but with limited success (I know for certain she wouldn't want the same car her sister drives).

Old 06-02-2015, 07:14 AM
I definitely like the idea of the HR-V but am not keen on buying another new Honda.

I mainly find I want a sturdier car; I find im always having to "baby" the Fit and would also like to feel a little more anchored to the hwy.

Old 06-05-2015, 09:04 PM
I just checked the Carmax website (06-05-2015) and they have 6 GKs for sale. Some people have traded-in it seems.The cheapest one is an LX at the no haggle-price of $17,599. The priciest is an EX-L for $18,998.

Old 06-05-2015, 09:35 PM
Originally Posted by 2015FIT
I just checked the Carmax website (06-05-2015) and they have 6 GKs for sale. Some people have traded-in it seems.The cheapest one is an LX at the no haggle-price of $17,599. The priciest is an EX-L for $18,998.
Wow, those prices are crazy! You can buy a new one for that! CarMax is always overpriced and I often wonder what they are smoking to get to their prices. However, people keep blindly buying from them

I've had a few issues with them over their pricing. Last year I found a spotless 2003 Ford Focus ZX3 with just the basics (roll up windows, manual door locks) with only 15k miles on it. Pristine! It would've been a perfect second car.

However, they wanted $10,999. For an eleven year old Focus!

I checked KBB and it should've been about $5500, and Edmunds and NADA were quoting a little less. I went in there, took it for a test drive, loved it, but when I showed them all of the pricing guides on this car, they shrugged and said they were all wrong. The car was only $13,500 brand new 11 years ago, and I ended up getting into an argument with the manager about how they are immune to depreciation.

Someone must've bought it, because it was gone about two weeks later.

Anyway, back to the Fit, it is a shame. Anyone who bothers to do their research will immediately know that they are being ripped off with those prices, grrrr!!!

Old 08-07-2015, 04:54 PM
Just sold my 2015 EX-L, and got an offer from a dealer (Buick) of $16,900 here in Florida if anyone is interested in that model version.

Reason for sale:

1. In/out of car, the black side molding transferred onto pants

2. Got tired of Black only interior

3. Inside front windshield very wet on rainy days. Unknown why

4. Needed higher sitting for my old age (70)

5. Quieter riding vehicle needed

6. Really dislike the infotainment screen

7. I can afford it

Got the Buick Encore Leather (Pear White)

Last edited by SR45; 08-07-2015 at 06:19 PM.
Old 08-07-2015, 07:09 PM
Originally Posted by GeorgeL
If you think that first year depreciation of a Fit is bad, try a GM product, particularly Cadillacs! Driving one of those off the lot costs more than a new Fit!

Once upon a time I tried buying a low-miles used Honda. What few I could find were priced at nearly new car levels. That LX they pay you $13K for will end up on their lot priced at $15,500.
^This

GM has the worst depreciation, and for good reason.

I think the op is crazy to trade a fit for a chevy lol. What is it you hate so much that you are willing to lose money on the fit, and get into an unknown from a company proven to not care about their customers? Honda not making good on the warranty?

And the reason I bought a new fit, is the used ones for sale are all only about 2k less with 30k miles. ...lol lol

Old 08-07-2015, 07:13 PM
Originally Posted by SR45
Just sold my 2015 EX-L, and got an offer from a dealer (Buick) of $16,900 here in Florida if anyone is interested in that model version.

Reason for sale:

1. In/out of car, the black side molding transferred onto pants

2. Got tired of Black only interior

3. Inside front windshield very wet on rainy days. Unknown why

4. Needed higher sitting for my old age (70)

5. Quieter riding vehicle needed

6. Really dislike the infotainment screen

7. I can afford it

Fyi,when you trade a car the trade value isn't real, you didn't get the same deal you would have on the buick without a trade. ....trade the buick in one year and see their offer lol.

Old 08-08-2015, 07:17 AM
Originally Posted by Dun4791
Fyi,when you trade a car the trade value isn't real, you didn't get the same deal you would have on the buick without a trade. ....trade the buick in one year and see their offer lol.
Don't plan on trading for a good while. Too old now.

Old 08-08-2015, 08:01 AM
Don't plan on trading for a good while. Too old now.
Fyi, the buick does give a good indication of age, no need to mention (c:

Buick=60+

Last edited by Dun4791; 08-08-2015 at 08:07 AM.
Old 08-08-2015, 08:44 AM
5 Year Member
Congratulations SR45. Someone will be getting a terrific low mileage Fit. Margaret will miss you.

Old 08-09-2015, 02:18 AM
Originally Posted by Dun4791
^This

GM has the worst depreciation, and for good reason.

I think the op is crazy to trade a fit for a chevy lol. What is it you hate so much that you are willing to lose money on the fit, and get into an unknown from a company proven to not care about their customers? Honda not making good on the warranty?
There is possibly some logic in my insanity, and you do bring up good points.

I've never been a big fan of Japanese cars, or of buying imports. After visiting Japan, I was urked by some of their politics and the way they do business. They are adamant about protecting their economy and taxing import cars heavily. About 95% of the cars on their roads are Japanese, and the remaining 5% are European.

I'd rather try to support American companies, and hopefully help provide for American jobs. As a native Australian, I've seen our auto industry shrivel up due to the relentless onslaught of Asian imports. I'd hate to see the same happen here.

Hence why I've bought mostly American brands with the odd Korean brand occasionally. I've had pretty good luck with them, and my husband's current 2008 Aveo has been loyal and reliable (granted, I know it's a rebadged Daewoo). Chevy's service has even been good. I also currently have a 1992 Ford Explorer which has been solid and dependable.

Buying the Honda was an unprecedented move that surprised my family, and myself! The roominess, resale, and fuel efficiency won me over. However, to make me feel better, I reminded myself that at least it will be reliable.

But it's been plagued by quality issues from day one. Aside from the alternator, they have all been pretty minor issues, but annoying regardless. There's a feeling of being hoodwinked. If I was going to deal with potential sloppy quality, I could've bought the Sonic or Focus for less money with rebates, and at least would've bought an American made car.

And after owning the Fit, it does feel less refined than a Sonic or Focus being noisier, slower, cramped in the front seats, and having odd manual gearing. It's not, IMO, an enjoyable car.

Now, GM doesn't deserve a gold ticket for just being American. This is the company that gave us such winners as the Chevette and Cimarron, and tried to cover up the ignition switch debacle. But they are getting better, and besides, I've always been more partial towards Ford. Both of them, undeniably, have worse resale than any Honda.

For now, I keep the Honda as a secondary car to the Explorer and decided to keep it for now. It gets good fuel economy, and makes a perfect commuter

Old 08-09-2015, 02:21 AM

Congrats on the new car! The Encore is a quirky and interesting small SUV. Sure doesn't look like a Buick (I guess that's because it's Daewoo sourced and not really a Buick)

Hope you enjoy it!

Old 08-09-2015, 12:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by stembridge
Anyone that trades in a GK at this point is a Beta Tester
Believe me, friend, when I say that any owner of a first year new model vehicle is exactly that, a willing and paying beta tester for the manufacturer of that vehicle.

Last edited by badself; 08-09-2015 at 12:05 PM.
Old 08-10-2015, 12:36 AM
Yeah I broke two cardinal rules when I bought this car:
1) Don't buy first year of a new generation
2) Don't buy new

My experience so far has been a hammer hitting those two points into my skull for the past year. This will be the first car I'll ever lose money on.

Old 08-10-2015, 03:21 AM
I've only broken my cardinal rule of auto buying twice and that was because resale value made buying used pretty close to just buying new (still doesn't justify the idiot financial move I made when I bought new haha).

I had a couple Tacoma's and now this Fit brand new. Never again (because they'll last me until I die).

Quick Reply: Trade-in value of a 2015 Fit