Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   3rd Generation (2015+) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/)
-   -   Where to put your cell phone? (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/88692-where-put-your-cell-phone.html)

nomenclator 08-27-2018 09:07 PM

The Koomus phone holders (regular and the newer pro model) with cd mount is a good size for my phone but too small for my dedicated gps (TomTom, which is about 4 inches) and the Koomus tablet holder with cd mount is too large for my phone and may also be too large for my gps – can't find spec for minimum size of holder. The Macally phone holder is just the right size for both my phone and my gps. However the Macally has a ratchet mechanism with plastic teeth for gripping a phone. May not work very well and be quirky to use. The Koomus phone holders and tablet holders have what looks like it must be a simple, reliable spring-loaded mechanism.

Has anyone used the Macally?

hobbes87 08-28-2018 05:20 PM

Use the IOttie CD mount.

BrokenLimits 08-29-2018 04:13 PM

This is even more difficult for those of us with CarPlay. I don't want a cord dangling, I don't necessarily need to see the phone, but sometimes I do need to grab it.

nomenclator 09-02-2018 10:42 AM

OK. I bought the Macally. Here is my review.

The ratchet mechanism does indeed go to about 4 inches and it holds my dedicated GPS device as well as my phone. The ratchet mechanism works better than the ratchet mechanism on my old Bracketron vent-mount device. It doesn't work real great, but it works better. I am not sure but I think the amount of adjustment is finer. And it is definitely smoother and easier to use. It is better at stopping where you want to stop it, as opposed to stopping so that the opening is too small or too large. Also, when you press the release button, it opens automatically, kind of springs open. With the Bracketron I had to both press the button and pull the grippers apart. IThe Macally t stop down so very smoothly, it will occasionally miss a ratchet bump on one side or the other, so I hold the button down until the grips reach nearly the point I want them to reach, then let up on the button, and then do 1 or 2 more ratchet steps until the grips are exactly where I want them. By the way it is 2018 September and I have been through 2 Bracketrons since 2015 June so they don't last very long - about 1.5 years each. On the first one, the cap-screw that secures the ball position cracked. On the second one the arm that the ball was at the end of, broke. The CD slot mount does hold securely in the CD slot - perhaps a bit too firmly. I'll get to that later. It comes with 3 pads to place over the middle CD slot gripper, 1 at a time. They fit the middle gripper precisely. These make the middle gripping section thicker, so that grippers will hold more firmly, in wider CD slots. The 3 pads are labeled as to thickness. I didn't need any of them for the CD slot my 2015 LX. I mounted the CD gripper with the ball sticking out the top, so that my device, my phone or GPS, will be above the CD slot gripper. Thus my device will not block the car's built-in screen. With this configuration, a couple of millimeters of the top of the screen, in the middle, are blocked by the CD slot gripper, which slightly intrudes into the rear-camera view, but doesn't seem to affect the radio-CD-aux view.

Unfortunately, with the CD slot gripper in this position, and the device-holder attached to the ball, the angle of the device is limited. The screen on the device cannot not reach vertical, much less reach a facing-slightly-down position. Only reaches to about the same number of degrees short of vertical, as the car's built-in screen, maybe few degrees closer to vertical. Also, if you face the device facing further upwards, facing more toward the ceiling, the ball-securing screw will not hold the ball tight enough to prevent the weight of the display device from causing the face of device from gradually rotating further downward as I drive along. I am reluctant to try and tighten the screw any further, knowing that I could easily crack the screw, or crack the adjustment leaves that grip the ball. It seems to be nicely finger-tight.

I think this device would be better if the arm that the ball is at the end of, were shorter – the display device jiggles too much when the car is being driven – as well as gradually faces further and further downward, as I said before.

Also, I find this rather troubling: the CD slot gripper seems to have caused the CD slot to widen in the middle. I didn't measure the slot, or even look at it carefully, before installing the slot-gripper, but it seems to me that the gripper widened the slot. It is now just short of 4 mm at each end, and just a hair more than 5 mm at the center. I'm not sure if it was the bottom of the slot or the top, or both, that got stretched away from its original position. I should mention that with the ball facing up, the center slot-gripper pushes up, and the 2 side-grippers push up, and of course the reverse is true with the ball facing down. I have tried installing the slot-gripper both ways. I'm not sure when the stretch happened, but it looks like the plastic at the bottom of the slot is thinner, and perhaps the stretching happened when I tried the slot-gripper with the ball down. I am guessing that perhaps a better slot-gripper design would be one with a screw adjuster that enables adjustable force. Some of the CD slot holders on the market do have screw adjustments, but I haven't seen one in operation, and don't know if they enable the force or distance to be adjusted. The lever-adjuster on the Macally moves the grippers apart only 1 fixed distance, and with only one amount of force.

When I took my first vent-holding device out, I managed to break the little bar that enables the 3 vent louvers to face the same way and work together. Rather than spend $60 USD on a new vent-louver assembly, I think I am going to try and make and install a new synchro-bar with a piece of soft wire. I have seen instructions somewhere either at fitfreak or on youtube for getting the vent assembly and electronics out of the dash and I think I've bookmarked them.

I am not sure why I didn't look into the CD Slot Mount mentioned above by Fit4Me?, along with the suction cup pad attachment to hold my dedicated GPS. Oh, I know why: I didn't know, until now, that there was a suction cup pad available. It looks like it may have solved many of the problems I mention having with the Macally. Does anyone know how securely that particular mount stays in the CD slot? From the advertising page, I can't tell. Also, since the balls are even with the mount, rather than higher up like the ball on the Macally, I am not sure if I can mount my display devices in a way that does not block the Fit's built-in screen. Although even if the screen is blocked, it looks like the gps or phone can be rotated away from the Fit's screen, when you need to see the Fit's screen.

nisco 09-02-2018 10:51 AM

I've been using the mounted in the center of my gauge cluster. It stays in line of view, not too obtrusive, great for navigating. It does hide your turn signal lamps, and up to 40mph but 45-100mph is all I need so it doesn't bother me too much.

https://preview.ibb.co/kL5Qjk/IMG_20170726_153559.jpg

https://preview.ibb.co/mXmLH5/IMG_20170726_153606.jpg

https://preview.ibb.co/nxEeAQ/IMG_4394.jpg

nomenclator 09-02-2018 11:19 AM

Nisco, I seem to remember seeing a similar message about the Scoshe phone holder earlier, with the same or similar photos to the one's you just posted above a few moments ago, on 2018 sep 02 at 10:51am EDT (1:51 pm UTC). Did you delete a post and make a new post?

I see you are in Durham NC, same time zone as me.

mike410b 09-02-2018 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by nisco (Post 1411708)
I've been using the Scosche MAGDMB MagicMount mounted in the center of my gauge cluster. It stays in line of view, not too obtrusive, great for navigating. It does hide your turn signal lamps, and up to 40mph but 45-100mph is all I need so it doesn't bother me too much.

You also don't need to see 100 mph. Try not to put the lives of innocent people at risk while you play speed racer in an economy car.

nomenclator 09-02-2018 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by mike410b (Post 1411711)
You also don't need to see 100 mph. Try not to put the lives of innocent people at risk while you play speed racer in an economy car.

On the public roads, playing speed racer is way more fun in an economy car than it is in a racing car. Jeez. You know that! And, if you save your money by buying an economy car instead of a racing car, you have more assets available should they be needed to pay the people you've injured by speeding, and more money to pay their families if you kill them. So everything is good.

However, unfortunately, with nisco's configuration, his display device not only hides below 40 mph, but it also hides above 100 mph. Only about 40 to 100 is visible. Not good.

Hmm. Can the Fit really go 140 mph on a level surface, on the public highways? I've never had it above 120. Seriously, I've had it above the speed limit for a short time. For example on a multilane highway, to get past a truck in the right lane, and to get past it as quickly as possible before the driver decides to merge into my lane without seeing me. In places where the speed limit is 70 mph, I think maybe I've gone close to 90 (who looks at the speedometer), maybe a bit past – though only for a few seconds. The car feels very stable and unstressed at those speeds. With the CVT, rather low engine revs are all that are needed. I have T-rated tires, so maybe I should keep the car below their maximum rating of 118 mph.

nomenclator 09-02-2018 12:14 PM

It just occurred to me that many dedicated gps devices and many cell phone gps applications can tell you how fast you are going. You can also display your speed with a OBD2 connection to a cell phone application or dedicated OBD2 readout device. Both the gps and the OBD2 data are more accurate than the car's built in speedometer. You don't need really need the car's speedometer. However 'd miss being able to see my turn signal lamps. Especially since the click-click that the turn signals make isn't loud enough. Its sound is wiped out by the HVAC fan.

mike410b 09-02-2018 12:20 PM

Here's what someone who doesn't want to kill people through their sheer stupidity/incompetence does:

They don't go that fast on public roads and they put their damn phones in the glovebox while they drive.

nomenclator 09-02-2018 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by mike410b (Post 1411718)
Here's what someone who doesn't want to kill people through their sheer stupidity/incompetence does:

They don't go that fast on public roads and they put their damn phones in the glovebox while they drive.

I didn't realize you were being serious. Yes, of course, for safety's sake, except for certain unusual, exceptional situations, one should not exceed the speed limited. And you should not be holding your phone in your hand, while driving. And just talking on a speakerphone or bluetooth headpiece can be dangerous, if it take your attention away from driving. Many people do use their phones inappropriately and I think you are right to point this out.

However you should know that people use their phones, with a gps application, instead of a dedicated gps device. They also use dedicated gps devices. These are both meant to be on display while you are driving and are considered safe when used appropriately. Both can also display your speed, and do so more accurately than your speedometer. Glancing at them momentarily is no more or less dangerous than glancing at one's speedometer momentarily. Some of them also have the ability to speak your speed aloud, so you don't have to look at them at all.

nisco 09-03-2018 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by nomenclator (Post 1411710)
Nisco, I seem to remember seeing a similar message about the Scoshe phone holder earlier, with the same or similar photos to the one's you just posted above a few moments ago, on 2018 sep 02 at 10:51am EDT (1:51 pm UTC). Did you delete a post and make a new post?

I see you are in Durham NC, same time zone as me.

Perhaps you did. In a different thread that is already dead. Just because I used my own words and photos from last year, what is the issue? Sorry if is not relevant to this thread, which I think it is.

Originally Posted by mike410b (Post 1411711)

You also have no need to see 100mph on your car either? OMG, your AP1 shows a rev limiter of 9k?? THAT's A BIG NO NO, completely unnecessary on the street. My car rarely goes over 80mph on the freeway, so stop ASSUMING the I'm playing speed racer in my economy car.

Originally Posted by nomenclator (Post 1411716)
However, unfortunately, with nisco's configuration, his display device not only hides below 40 mph, but it also hides above 100 mph. Only about 40 to 100 is visible. Not good.

Do you really need to know if you are doing 23MPH? Please explain why a range of 40 to 100 is "not good"

Originally Posted by mike410b (Post 1411718)

Or just be a responsible driver and not touch your phone while it is in GPS mode, or screen off?

Originally Posted by nomenclator (Post 1411727)
I didn't realize you were being serious. Yes, of course, for safety's sake, except for certain unusual, exceptional situations, one should not exceed the speed limited. And you should not be holding your phone in your hand, while driving. And just talking on a speakerphone or bluetooth headpiece can be dangerous, if it take your attention away from driving. Many people do use their phones inappropriately and I think you are right to point this out.

However you should know that people use their phones, with a gps application, instead of a dedicated gps device. They also use dedicated gps devices. These are both meant to be on display while you are driving and are considered safe when used appropriately. Both can also display your speed, and do so more accurately than your speedometer. Glancing at them momentarily is no more or less dangerous than glancing at one's speedometer momentarily. Some of them also have the ability to speak your speed aloud, so you don't have to look at them at all.

Hands free when phone needs to be used, and GPS at other times. What is the problem?

2Rismo2 09-03-2018 12:33 PM

This is where I put mine...

Perfect for me for navigation. With the magnet mount it's a breeze getting in/out of the car without fumbling with ratcheting arms etc. Not that I routinely use the cd player, but it just seems like a bad idea to stick things into it that aren't CDs.

Only drawback with my setup is you can't use the touchscreen to change the volume or displays, but really I use the steering wheel controls for everything. Plus other than the Trip/MPG screen, I don't use the touchscreen for anything.

captainhowdy 09-03-2018 02:30 PM

I feel your pain. My '08 had better cup holders and phone compartment.

payluder 09-05-2018 04:42 PM

I am using a proclip and love it. I had the CD mount holder in the stock head unit but with the iphone 7s the hold would shake going over bumps. Since I upgrade the radio I had to find another way and this works great, you can also rotate the phone. Only downside is proclip isnt cheap

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fit...7e3e24080e.jpg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fit...e94e886303.jpg

thenewenglander 09-15-2018 10:21 PM

Has anyone tried a cup holder phone cradle? I'm thinking it might work well in the cup holder to the left of the steering wheel.

knope 09-15-2018 10:35 PM

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fit...f17751e3fe.jpg
lol legos and krazyglue

thenewenglander 09-16-2018 02:36 PM

Neat. Homemade?

thenewenglander 10-03-2018 06:36 PM

I don't know if there is a perfect solution for me, but I just got an air vent mount and it works well.

knope 10-04-2018 07:04 AM

Personal preference?, What ever makes you happy. Just go to a lego store and mock up something from parts bin. When you get home crazyglue it together, and to the dashboard. lol