3rd Generation GK Specific Fit Photos & Videos Sub-Forum Threads for displaying photos and videos of the 3nd generation GK Honda Fit

2RISMO2 - Commuter Life Chronicles

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 06:15 AM
Nice upgrade.

Old 10-24-2016, 10:36 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks. I took the first drive this morning and it's quiet. I don't hear anything new after the install.

Old 01-20-2017, 03:06 PM
5 Year Member
Replaced the JTECH LED lights in the front corner lamps and license plate with these by Yorkim: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The JTECHs developed flickering and I did not want to get pulled over. My thought is that since they are in the exterior, moisture corrupted them. The ones in the interior have not had a problem. Could also be that they are running longer than the interior ones so the bulb life isn't as good. These have less light output but with the LED being covered, maybe they won't flicker. Only time will tell.

I'm keeping the JTECHs in the map lights since I haven't had a problem with them there. I've already replaced the license plate lights once before.

Old 01-30-2017, 08:27 AM
5 Year Member
Just paid of the Fit! So glad I don't have to keep seeing that deduction every month. Bought in 3/2015 and paid off 1/2017.

Old 01-30-2017, 09:46 AM
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
Just paid of the Fit! So glad I don't have to keep seeing that deduction every month. Bought in 3/2015 and paid off 1/2017.

Good job!

I've only got 48 payments to go...

Old 01-30-2017, 11:06 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BenQuick
Good job!

I've only got 48 payments to go...
Hahaha it'll come sooner than you think.

I just wanted to get rid of the car loan. I was car loan free for about 6 years before I bought the Fit and I wanted to get back to that feeling. The loan was at 1.49% so I could have just kept making the payments, but I wanted it GONE GONE GONE!

Old 04-18-2017, 11:28 AM
5 Year Member
So a couple of weeks ago I replaced the stock Firestones with General Altimax RT43 in 205/50/16. I ordered them the Generals from Tirebuyer.com for about $350 and then $72 mounted/balanced at Firestone. We'll see if the 65K life is there, I got 40k out of the Firestones before they hit 3/32. The tire specs and differences are below:

Stock: 185/55/16
Diameter: 24"
Width: 7.3"
Sidewall: 4"
Circumference: 75.4"
Revs/Mile: 866

New size: 205/50/16
Diameter: 24.1" (+.4% difference)
Width: 8.1" (+11% difference)
Sidewall: 4" (0% difference)
Circumference: 75.6" (+.4% difference)
Revs/Mile: 863 (-3 difference)

As you can see you get an 11% increase of width and the diameter difference is negligible. There is no rubbing of the wheel arch or suspension components. It does fill the wheel arches more and looks like a beefier tire. You can definitely tell the difference in the rear since stock seems more "tucked" in than the front. Maybe wheel spacers if you want the "stance" but honestly not sure it'd make any huge difference in handling.

Handling wise, it's night and day. The tires definitely grip better than the stock tires and really bring to light that the Fit needs a better spring/strut/shock setup. Stock tires hide that fact by squealing early on and telling you to back off. Suspension mods are in the future, but nothing drastic. RSR Down SUS springs for a mild drop (Honda Fit Down Sus Springs 2015+ | RS-R USA) and Koni Struts/Shocks (Koni STR.T Orange Shocks 8750-1102L, 8750-1102R, 8050-1131). The Fit is my DD so any exotic coil overs are going to be overkill.

Gas mileage wise, I haven't seen a big drop off. I didn't think I would, but some expressed concern that a wider tire would cause more rolling resistance affecting mileage. Yesterday was the first full tank with the new tires. I went 342 miles (really less than that the tires are rotating less per mile than stock, but it's not a huge difference. We're talking a little over a mile with the distance I traveled). I filled up 7.419 gallons so that gets about 46.098 MPG. That's inline with what I usually get as I average low to mid 40s with the occasional +45MPG if the weather is milder.

I've seen discussion on road noise w/ different tires. The Generals are definitely quieter than the Firestones. You can still hear road noise, but it's subdued. There is a lot of construction zones I go through, and the "whirr whirr" noises of the recently applied blacktop is there, but it's not as loud compared to the Firestones. Quieter than the Michilens? No clue as I didn't want to pay that much.

Last edited by 2Rismo2; 04-18-2017 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Added Koni info
Old 05-04-2017, 11:39 AM
5 Year Member
Installed a K&N 33-5027. It was on sale for $35 on Amazon and I needed a new filter. Not sure how I like that it's smaller than the last filter I have. To be honest, not sure what filter it is as it's been a while but it's not OEM. I do remember that it was very similar to OEM though. I haven't driven enough to make a judgement on it, but again it is smaller as you can see in the pictures.

Also installed a TYC cabin air filter. It's a perfect fit and pretty inexpensive:
Amazon Amazon

Attached Thumbnails 2RISMO2 - Commuter Life Chronicles-kn1.jpg   2RISMO2 - Commuter Life Chronicles-kn2.jpg   2RISMO2 - Commuter Life Chronicles-tyc.jpg  
Old 05-11-2017, 10:11 AM
5 Year Member
I had an amusing ride home yesterday. I took the backroads since the main roads were backed up. I got behind one of those lifted diesel trucks in the twisty bits. I was driving my normal spirited pace. He would floor during the straightaways and hills and a create a few car lengths of gap. The next turn I would be right behind him since he had to slow down so much.

When we turned onto the main road (two lanes side by side going in the same direction), he turns onto the slow lane and I turn into the fast lane. I'm accelerating at a normal speed and he waves me by. Not really sure why but don't really give it a second thought. When we're side by side he guns it pulls away while waving his hand like saying try to catch up.

I had to laugh 'cause I didn't know we were "racing". Maybe he thought I was when we were in the twisty bits. I'm thinking, "Good job guy!" as I looked on the display and the trip I was getting 46 MPG.

Old 05-22-2017, 01:13 PM
5 Year Member
I was still able to manage 42.47 MPG with the wider tires and K&N filter. After the filter install, throttle "feels" a little more responsive but no numbers to back that up. No noticeable MPG difference either. Not surprised. I've got another full tank probably tonight and I don't expect anything groundbreaking.

We've been getting a lot of spring showers and I expect that's reduced mileage a bit.

Old 05-22-2017, 07:50 PM
5 Year Member
Changed my phone mount to right next to the head unit. I feel this is a more natural position to look when using my phone for GPS. Previously I had it above the left side cup holder.

Also tried out Android Auto a little bit. It works pretty well but wish it integrated with Waze for navigation versus Google Maps. Just a personal preference.

Fill up today was 40.98 MPG. Not bad but could have been better. We've been having a lot of spring storms and I think that's been hurting the mileage.

Attached Thumbnails 2RISMO2 - Commuter Life Chronicles-signal-2017-05-22-193322-1.jpg   2RISMO2 - Commuter Life Chronicles-signal-2017-05-22-193322.jpg  
Old 07-04-2017, 10:05 PM
My bluetooth screwed with Android Auto, but I'll have to give it another chance. I do use GMaps more than I do Waze. I love that Auto now can interface with hangouts - or so my son reports.

Old 07-04-2017, 10:06 PM
Also, your dash looks WAY different than mine. I have a g2 '13 Sport Nav, so expect that's some of it.

Old 07-04-2017, 10:47 PM
5 Year Member
Finally got around to installing some lighting upgrades. My wife bought me NOKYA NOK7623 fog lights and Partsam 7440 LED backup lights for Father's day. I bought myself Some PIAA for my birthday.

The headlights are whiter than stock, but hard to capture in daylight picture. The fog lights are definitely yellower as well, just the look I wanted.

The backup LED is ridiculously white compared to stock bulb, and much brighter. They are supposed to be the same bulb size as the turn signals, but I tried them out and they don't stay in the socket. Just an FYI if someone is looking to try it out.

Attached Thumbnails 2RISMO2 - Commuter Life Chronicles-partsamledbackup1.jpg   2RISMO2 - Commuter Life Chronicles-nokya7623.jpg   2RISMO2 - Commuter Life Chronicles-piaa15224.jpg   2RISMO2 - Commuter Life Chronicles-partsamledbackup2.jpg   2RISMO2 - Commuter Life Chronicles-lightupgrade.jpg  

Old 08-21-2017, 08:14 AM
5 Year Member
Do you have a link for that sunglasses holder? That would come in pretty handy.

Old 08-21-2017, 08:29 AM
5 Year Member
I got it on ebay: FIT FOR 14- HONDA FIT JAZZ GLASSES HOLDER CASE BOX SUNGLASSES CAGE CLIP STORAGE

Not recommending the seller, just did a quick search and it came up

It does come in handy and a quick install.

Old 09-08-2017, 08:35 PM
5 Year Member
I installed a Ram Intake I got from TougeMonster_GK5. He's got a group buy if anyone is interested in it: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/gaug...ml#post1378274

More info and pics here: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...air-scoop.html

Uninstall the intake by first removing the red plastic push pins and then the grill cover. Remove the blue push pins . One of the blue push pins is hidden until you remove the grill cover held down by the red push pins. You'll be reusing all the plastic push pins so don't lose them.

Once the blue and red push pins are off, you can just remove the stock intake by pulling it off the snorkel piece. Then you can separate the stock intake from the duct assembly. It's held on by 4 little plastic tabs. Install the new ram intake scoop by pushing it in place and making sure it's held in by the plastic tabs.

Stock intake:

Ram air intake scoop

Ram air intake scoop installed

I forgot to take a picture of it, but there is a piece of weatherstripping that can be removed on the right side of the hood. Otherwise the scoop gets pushed down a little bit. The weatherstripping is held by 3 push pins. Here is a picture of the hood closed with the new intake scoop and no weatherstripping.

Instead of leaving off the weatherstripping, I decided to modify it and cut is as such. It took a few tries at cutting and fitting to get it to sit just right. I'll clean it up but this was test fitment. This allows the ram intake scoop to be installed with the weatherstripping utilized. I'm assuming the weatherstripping serves a purpose so I'd rather have it on there.

Here's how it looks with the modified weatherstripping and the hood closed.

Initial impressions are the intake scoop fits really well. I wish it had some better molding as you can see where a piece was trimmed off at the top. It's more flexible than I thought it would be, but so is the stock intake. The intake noise is louder than stock. I had my wife rev the engine and I held a napkin at the front of the intake. The napkin was sucked into it! So there is definitely some air movement.

Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to drive it. Right after install my 15 month old decided to get fussy and wanted to be put to bed. So I'll report back after driving it for a while. Luckily I just got gas so I'll be able to compare the mileage after a full tank soon. I currently have a K&N in there so maybe with the two it'll get better gas mileage and throttle response. I'll report back with my findings...

Oh and sorry about the dirty car pictures, but we've been getting a ton of rain lately and I haven't had the time to clean up the car. And did I mention the fussy 15 month old? lol

Attached Thumbnails 2RISMO2 - Commuter Life Chronicles-inked20150920_124947_li.jpg   2RISMO2 - Commuter Life Chronicles-img_20170908_180629345.jpg   2RISMO2 - Commuter Life Chronicles-img_20170908_180644822.jpg   2RISMO2 - Commuter Life Chronicles-img_20170908_180834749_hdr.jpg   2RISMO2 - Commuter Life Chronicles-img_20170908_180747437_hdr.jpg  

2RISMO2 - Commuter Life Chronicles-img_20170908_181617298.jpg   2RISMO2 - Commuter Life Chronicles-img_20170908_181747863.jpg   2RISMO2 - Commuter Life Chronicles-img_20170908_183053984.jpg   2RISMO2 - Commuter Life Chronicles-img_20170908_183127486.jpg  
Old 09-09-2017, 06:48 PM
5 Year Member
Wife needed a grocery run for some last minute ingredients so I volunteered and took the fit. It's less than 5 miles but I could tell the throttle response is better with the ram intake scoop. You can definitely hear it as well. So far so good but we'll see if it actually gets better mileage. If not I'm still satisfied with the better throttle response.

Old 09-11-2017, 08:43 AM
5 Year Member
On the first morning commute since I installed the ram air intake scoop, I can definitely tell the better throttle response. Car is more eager to accelerate even though I wasn't really trying to gun it, just drive normally. I'm not talking gobs of power, but the butt dyno can tell there are extra angry unicorn farts at work. I might just use this first tank to have fun driving it. I didn't realize I had to take my parents to the airport tomorrow so that will throw of my normal commute anyways.

I'm not dynoing as this is my commuter car. Having the extra oomph is enough for me.

So to recap, yes I'd buy this again just for the "fun" factor. I'll follow-up on how it affects MPG later on.

Old 09-11-2017, 05:59 PM
5 Year Member
Couldn't you just pop the two pins holding the original piece in there and wiggle it fwd out of the snorkel? Was looking at mine, seems as if it would be less work, but .....obviously, I haven't done it. It is an interesting piece.

Quick Reply: 2RISMO2 - Commuter Life Chronicles