3rd Generation GK Specific Fit Photos & Videos Sub-Forum Threads for displaying photos and videos of the 3nd generation GK Honda Fit

2RISMO2 - Commuter Life Chronicles

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 06:25 PM
New, from Cali

Hello. My name is Jeff , Can Someone please add me to the Facebook GROUP lol.

I bought my 2013 Fit sport 5m to commute in. I have been in the Honda game for 22+ years. This car reminds me of my 1987 CRX SI .. it's a blast to drive . I was surprised at how well it handles. My plans are.
Rear sway bar
Suspension
tint
Some add ons ( window visors)

I have a choice of old wheels I have in my garage
Either Work RS BETAS 16" , or 17" KAZERA KZV ( 16lbs)

Maybe some slight upgrades to the engine

Old 09-11-2017, 06:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
On the first morning commute since I installed the ram air intake scoop, I can definitely tell the better throttle response. Car is more eager to accelerate even though I wasn't really trying to gun it, just drive normally. I'm not talking gobs of power, but the butt dyno can tell there are extra angry unicorn farts at work. I might just use this first tank to have fun driving it. I didn't realize I had to take my parents to the airport tomorrow so that will throw of my normal commute anyways.

I'm not dynoing as this is my commuter car. Having the extra oomph is enough for me.

So to recap, yes I'd buy this again just for the "fun" factor. I'll follow-up on how it affects MPG later on.
Sounds like what majority of the folks over in Asia have been reporting. Thanks for the continued updates on your testing!

Old 09-12-2017, 06:44 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fuelish
Couldn't you just pop the two pins holding the original piece in there and wiggle it fwd out of the snorkel? Was looking at mine, seems as if it would be less work, but .....obviously, I haven't done it. It is an interesting piece.
The original piece is held by 4 pins, one hidden by the grill cover piece. If you can remove that hidden pin then you could probably wiggle it out as you suggested. To be honest though it's really not much work to remove the other pieces.

​​​​​​After work, I picked up my parents near Front Royal. If you're familiar with the area it's near the entrance to skyline drive, a very mountainous area with lots of turns and elevation changes. The speed on I66 is 70 so everyone naturally goes 80 and up. High speed runs with the ram air intake scoop is smile inducing. The car seems more eager to accelerate and you can hear the intake/engine more, it really sounds sportier along with the HKS exhaust as well.

The car did not struggle up the mountain loaded with 3 people and luggage. Plus still managed about 42 MPG on a 70 mile trip going extra legal speeds. Not bad.

Old 09-12-2017, 06:55 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BoogeymanRT
Hello. My name is Jeff
Welcome to the forum Jeff!

Old 09-12-2017, 06:58 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TougeMonster_GK5
Sounds like what majority of the folks over in Asia have been reporting. Thanks for the continued updates on your testing!
Sure thing man. Thanks for doing the legwork on it and getting it shipped out so quickly. So far it's been on the top 3 best mods that I've done to the car!

Old 09-12-2017, 08:56 AM
5 Year Member
​​​​​​After work, I picked up my parents near Front Royal. If you're familiar with the area it's near the entrance to skyline drive, a very mountainous area with lots of turns and elevation changes. The speed on I66 is 70 so everyone naturally goes 80 and up. High speed runs with the ram air intake scoop is smile inducing.
Yeah, been on Skyline Drive once driving back to PA from white water rafting (in W VA, iirc_ , and yeah, have passed through Front Royal area several times driving north to see my family. I got popped for going 85 on I66, not for speeding, I was in a "convoy" of about a dozen cars (I mean, yeah, we were speeding, but it was more like for driving with out of state tags ....the bassturds knew I wouldn't fight the ticket when I live in SE TN....not a fan of the area ) But glad ya like the piece. Is he still working the group deal, or has it fallen through? I'm on the fence...

Old 09-12-2017, 08:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fuelish
Yeah, been on Skyline Drive once driving back to PA from white water rafting (in W VA, iirc_ , and yeah, have passed through Front Royal area several times driving north to see my family. I got popped for going 85 on I66, not for speeding, I was in a "convoy" of about a dozen cars (I mean, yeah, we were speeding, but it was more like for driving with out of state tags ....the bassturds knew I wouldn't fight the ticket when I live in SE TN....not a fan of the area ) But glad ya like the piece. Is he still working the group deal, or has it fallen through? I'm on the fence...
Yup we've got another area near Richmond that's been dubbed the Million Dollar Mile, referring to how much "revenue" they pull in from speed traps: Is it time to shut down Virginia speed-trap towns? | WTOP
We visit my wife's family in NC, and when we drive through that area, I'm set on cruise control until a few miles out of town.

I'd PM him on his group buy. I think he's just trying to get some committed buyers. I thought I would give it a chance and I'm glad I did. Hopefully my review will help those on the fence.

Old 09-13-2017, 08:05 AM
5 Year Member
On the drive in this morning there was a slight rain for most of my hour long commute. I opened the air box and looked under the K&N filter and it was dry.

Old 09-13-2017, 05:16 PM
5 Year Member
The original piece is held by 4 pins, one hidden by the grill cover piece. If you can remove that hidden pin then you could probably wiggle it out as you suggested. To be honest though it's really not much work to remove the other pieces.

OK, yeah, I was dickin' around with mine this a.m. after work, I see what ya mean, there. I just hate removing and attempting to reuse push pins, as I usually either bust 'em or lose 'em. In fact, I removed the front driver-side pin just to get a better glimpse inside, and see what's under there. Now it makes sense as to what you said. And, unfortunately, the center of the push-pin fell out and is down inside the engine bay somewhere, but no big deal, the piece ain't gonna fall off.

Old 09-13-2017, 09:19 PM
5 Year Member
I was able to just push in the center pin maybe an 1/8" and it was enough to loosen the whole push pin. The hardest one was the one hidden under the grill cover because you don't have much room to get underneath it and pop it out.

I filled up tonight and 39.938 MPG. That's the lowest I've done in a while, last time I was below 40MPG was 11/2016! I think it was driving with a heavier foot feeling out the new intake. That and driving out to Front Royal going 80 MPH up those mountains with my parents and their luggage. Apparently you're allowed 2 50lb bags each for free when flying internationally! I'll try to drive like my typical self, but the extra intake noise makes you want just push down on the gas a little further

Old 09-20-2017, 09:32 AM
5 Year Member
I filled up last night and these were my numbers:

7.518 gallons
338.300 miles driven
44.999 MPG calculated

This was using D mode and driving my normal commute conservatively. It's pretty much inline with my normal MPG numbers. So I wouldn't say it has "increased" my MPG, but certainly didn't make it worse. Obviously lots of variables with a commute so it's not 100% scientific but gives a general idea.

Next tank I'm driving with ECON mode activated. Same muted response but the car wants to increase RPM earlier, I'm assuming because it can sense the increase air flow with the ram air intake scoop (RAIS). From my house to work, it was 48.3 MPG for the trip on ECON and the RAIS.

Old 09-20-2017, 02:13 PM
5 Year Member
Took the car in for a much needed car wash during my lunch break. Checked the airbox afterwards and it was dry. Obviously not a rain storm at speed, but they also use pressure washers to clean the front end before running you through the wash cycle.

Old 10-04-2017, 10:21 AM
5 Year Member
I did a full tank with the RAIS and in ECON mode and got the following numbers:

8.080 Gallons used
357.600 Miles travelled
44.257 MPG

I thought it would be better but we've been having some cooler mornings in the low-mid 40s. Then found that I was at 30-31 PSI on all the tires, probably because of the cooler mornings. Typically I run 35 PSI all around. I'll have to retry another tank at some point.

I would still say the RAIS is a buy at this point!

Old 10-09-2017, 08:15 AM
5 Year Member
Drove 45 minutes in constant rain storm and the air box was dry and no signs of moisture with the RAIS. Another thing to note there is a drain hole in the bottom of the air box. I don't think there is any major concern of water ingestion.

Old 10-10-2017, 12:02 AM
Drove 45 minutes in constant rain storm and the air box was dry and no signs of moisture with the RAIS. Another thing to note there is a drain hole in the bottom of the air box. I don't think there is any major concern of water ingestion.
So how do I buy one? (RAIS).

Old 10-10-2017, 02:20 AM
5 Year Member
TougeMonster is trying to set up a group buy, but there doesn't seem to be much interest so far.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/gaug...uct-gk5-2.html

Old 10-10-2017, 09:03 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
how much benefit is there with this system (not that i care to get one)? the opening is so small not much of a 'ram' action.. more like just a snorkel for a CAI.

Old 10-16-2017, 10:08 AM
5 Year Member
I bought the following from College Hills Honda:

08U43-T5A-100 Rear Seatback Protector
DL162 Sport horn kit

I'm going to try to fix the front bumper sag this weekend, so I figure with the bumper off it'd be a good time to install a horn kit.

Old 10-16-2017, 10:41 AM
5 Year Member
I bought the following from College Hills Honda:

08U43-T5A-100 Rear Seatback Protector
DL162 Sport horn kit

I'm going to try to fix the front bumper sag this weekend, so I figure with the bumper off it'd be a good time to install a horn kit.
Nice! Let me know if you find a solution to the sag. Mine looks pretty bad too, I think I worsened it when I test fit a replica mugen front grill that I eventually returned.

Also if you can, share some sound bytes to your sport horn kit, pics of seatback protector too! Try to persuade me not to buy! lol

Old 10-16-2017, 11:26 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TougeMonster_GK5
Nice! Let me know if you find a solution to the sag. Mine looks pretty bad too, I think I worsened it when I test fit a replica mugen front grill that I eventually returned.

Also if you can, share some sound bytes to your sport horn kit, pics of seatback protector too! Try to persuade me not to buy! lol
My bumper sag has developed after a few thousand miles of driving without me messing with it: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...-warranty.html

Here's a video of the horn and install:

I wanted the rear seat back protectors because I've dinged mine up helping my FIL move an old TV, and a milk crate I use for organisation rubbed up on it. Here is a picture from sixlovelylies' build page:

Name:  CbLsvmf.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  761.3 KB

Quick Reply: 2RISMO2 - Commuter Life Chronicles