3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Automatic locking?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 08:45 AM
5 Year Member
Automatic locking?

Question regarding our new 2015 Fit EX:
When the car is parked in the garage, sometimes it stays unlocked (nice if you come back later to get something, or to put something in the car and are not carrying the fob), and sometimes it seems to relock itself, even when the door handle button was believed not to have been pressed. Looks like there is some customization possible with lock/unlock according to the owner's manual, but this is random enough not sure what is going on or what to do. Anybody else experience this?

Old 04-21-2015, 02:43 PM
I have, a bit puzzling, but I don't give it much thought OP. And I haven't looked in the manual to find a fix or work around...

Old 04-21-2015, 04:09 PM
I wonder if there is a possibility that if you exit the car it may lock after a period of time. But if you were to exit the car, close the door, then open a different door - like to get groceries out, then it won't lock even after you close that second door.

Old 04-22-2015, 07:26 AM
The only time it should automatically re-lock is in this situation:
1. the car is locked
2. you unlock it with the fob
3. you do not open any doors
4. after approx 90 seconds (I'm guessing at the time here), it will automatically re-lock

Old 04-22-2015, 07:51 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GoBucky
The only time it should automatically re-lock is in this situation:
1. the car is locked
2. you unlock it with the fob
3. you do not open any doors
4. after approx 90 seconds (I'm guessing at the time here), it will automatically re-lock
That's exactly what I thought as well. Not sure what is happening. Apparently SR45 has experienced this as well. It's my wife's car, she said it's happened about 10 times, randomly, and she can't see a pattern. We'll keep looking, may ask the dealer at some point if it continues. But since it doesn't seem to be repeatable, I doubt they will be able to do anything.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:03 AM
Originally Posted by John Kuhn
That's exactly what I thought as well. Not sure what is happening. Apparently SR45 has experienced this as well. It's my wife's car, she said it's happened about 10 times, randomly, and she can't see a pattern. We'll keep looking, may ask the dealer at some point if it continues. But since it doesn't seem to be repeatable, I doubt they will be able to do anything.
I can see how that would be annoying. I can't tell you how many times I go out to the garage to either get something from the car or put something in it.

Old 04-22-2015, 12:07 PM
5 Year Member
I notice your Fit is an EX (OP). Could this have something to do with proximity of the key fob to the car? Does the car lock automatically if the fob is "out of range" after a time period? This is something I'll have to experiment with.

Old 04-22-2015, 10:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
I notice your Fit is an EX (OP). Could this have something to do with proximity of the key fob to the car? Does the car lock automatically if the fob is "out of range" after a time period? This is something I'll have to experiment with.
She drives into the garage, gets out of the car with the fob in purse, may or may not open the back door and get something out of the back seat, walks into the house with the fob, which is left in a drawer inside the house, maybe 30' from the car. Sometimes it locks itself at some point, other times it doesn't.

Old 04-23-2015, 06:49 AM
She drives into the garage, gets out of the car with the fob in purse, may or may not open the back door and get something out of the back seat, walks into the house with the fob, which is left in a drawer inside the house, maybe 30' from the car. Sometimes it locks itself at some point, other times it doesn't.
Any chance that either the Lock or Unlock button on the fob is accidentally pushed while in her purse? Lots of stuff in there that could bump into it while being picked up, moved and set down again.

Old 04-23-2015, 07:36 AM
5 Year Member
Any chance that either the Lock or Unlock button on the fob is accidentally pushed while in her purse? Lots of stuff in there that could bump into it while being picked up, moved and set down again.
I've found that I could lock the doors on my '09 Fit by squatting with the fob in my pants pocket when my key ring would press the button.

Old 04-23-2015, 07:52 AM
5 Year Member
We thought about that as well, but the buttons are slightly recessed and the purse is not packed. She's going to try to be very vigilant about the fob until we figure it out.
All the thoughts are appreciated!

Old 04-23-2015, 01:44 PM
I've found that I could lock the doors on my '09 Fit by squatting with the fob in my pants pocket when my key ring would press the button.
I had to laugh when I read this. Reminds me of the TV commercial where the guy has his hands full of fast food and is trying to open an automatic door to his office building which requires his key card that's in his back pocket, causing him to twerk by the key card reader.

Old 04-23-2015, 01:46 PM
tju
I've been surprised at finding my door locked a few times as well when I thought I left it open, but this may have involved inadvertent key button presses since I've had those as well. When I first got my car, the salesman reviewed several printed pages of settings (pages seemed to include instructions) and offered to make changes from the default set-up. Every one of the defaults seemed right to me, and since they could be changed later, I kept all the defaults, but I remember him mentioning optional settings for door locking, window operation, even turning off the ambient eco-hinting lights around the speedometer and more. I'll try to see if I can get a copy of that list from the dealer.

Old 04-23-2015, 01:48 PM
We thought about that as well, but the buttons are slightly recessed and the purse is not packed. She's going to try to be very vigilant about the fob until we figure it out.
All the thoughts are appreciated!
Yes, they are recessed a little but they are pretty large. In any event, let us know if it continues or if your wife's vigilance solves the problem.

Old 04-23-2015, 01:53 PM
Originally Posted by tju
I've been surprised at finding my door locked a few times as well when I thought I left it open, but this may have involved inadvertent key button presses since I've had those as well. When I first got my car, the salesman reviewed several printed pages of settings (pages seemed to include instructions) and offered to make changes from the default set-up. Every one of the defaults seemed right to me, and since they could be changed later, I kept all the defaults, but I remember him mentioning optional settings for door locking, window operation, even turning off the ambient eco-hinting lights around the speedometer and more. I'll try to see if I can get a copy of that list from the dealer.
You can't adjust the ambient eco lights but you can change settings for locking and unlocking the doors (e.g. automatic locking when you get to 10-12mph, automatic unlocking when you shift to park or open the driver's door, etc).

Old 04-23-2015, 02:33 PM
tju
You can't adjust the ambient eco lights but you can change settings for locking and unlocking the doors (e.g. automatic locking when you get to 10-12mph, automatic unlocking when you shift to park or open the driver's door, etc).

I could not remember all of the auto lock options, and thought there might be something related to auto locking if left unattended for a certain time...

I distinctly remember him mentioning the eco lights because he said some buyers find them annoying, but when that came up he was no longer looking at the prepared default settings list at his desk - we were in the car reviewing the audio system/phone set-up, so maybe he was mistaken. I'm curious enough to stop in and ask next time I'm in the neighborhood though...

Old 06-08-2015, 09:05 PM
5 Year Member
Self Locking Update

The car still locks itself in the garage on random occasions, so I called the dealer and the service rep said to bring it in, which we did today. When we arrived, a different tech who was going to write us up said that the car will automatically lock itself unless you press the unlock button on the key fob after you get out of the car. He said all Hondas are set up this way since before the push button start feature was implemented. He could not account for why sometimes it does it and sometimes not, except that it might have to do with how long you stand next to the car, etc. He said he also has a 2015 Fit and this is what his car does. Of course I said it would have been nice knowing this when we called originally, before driving uselessly to the dealer 45 minutes each way.

So I guess now we'll try his suggestion, even though it is somewhat inconvenient, and counterintuitive.

Old 06-08-2015, 10:10 PM
5 Year Member
Another related, if slightly annoying thing I've noticed while washing the car is that the doors repeatedly unlock if you hit the door handle with the water spray from the hose, then lock a few seconds later. It does this if you have the fob on your person (which I usually do) while washing the car. Apparently the water spray is actuating the unlock sensor.

I asked the dealer about this, who, of course, assured me that this is "normal".

Old 06-09-2015, 03:36 AM
Another related, if slightly annoying thing I've noticed while washing the car is that the doors repeatedly unlock if you hit the door handle with the water spray from the hose, then lock a few seconds later. It does this if you have the fob on your person (which I usually do) while washing the car. Apparently the water spray is actuating the unlock sensor.

I asked the dealer about this, who, of course, assured me that this is "normal".
Yes I noticed that too when I gave my ride a wash last weekend. What I did was to keep the car unlocked while spraying on it. At least it didn't lock it automatically.

Old 06-09-2015, 07:16 AM
.......the car will automatically lock itself unless you press the unlock button on the key fob after you get out of the car.
Mine never locks automatically and I never press the unlock button when exiting. I'm not sure why the tech is telling you that. I've never heard of that in any car......ever.

Quick Reply: Automatic locking?