3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

How do you think they will stack against the Fit? - 2016 Scion iM and Mazda2

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 12:05 PM
How do you think they will stack against the Fit? - 2016 Scion iM and Mazda2

I wonder if the new 2016 Scion iM and Mazda2 will raise the hatch sub-compact bar even more than the Fit - what do you guys think? Any other contenders?

Currently, I think only the Accent seems to be close to the Fit given its price - I was almost tempted in getting one but I thought the Fit's styling was more appealing.

Old 04-26-2015, 12:21 PM
5 Year Member
I'm still shopping for my next car, and I've been considering all of the ones you mentioned, so here are my thoughts:

The new Mazda2 will definitely be a good challenger for the Fit, though they have different strengths. I think the Mazda2 will be a good car for those who value the "driving experience" and are attracted by a high-class interior, whereas the Fit will appeal to those who value maximum versatility. The full specs aren't out yet, but based on the reviews I've read of the Mazda2 in other markets, it has a very small cargo area, which could be a dealbreaker for me.

I definitely have my eye on the Scion iM. It's not a direct competitor with the Fit given that it's a compact car (analogous to a Corolla hatchback), whereas the Fit is a subcompact. If the early specs pan out, it will be VERY well equipped, unlike most current Scions: heated (and power-folding!) mirrors, alloy wheels, leather-wrapped steering wheel, etc. It comes with the engine from the Corolla LE Eco, which has slightly more power and offers better fuel efficiency than the base Corolla engine. My main concern with the iM is that it'll end up being too pricey. The early word is that it will start around $20,000, but if that doesn't include destination, it'll be more like $21k for the 6MT and $22k for the CVT before discounts. Scion tends to discount its cars less than Toyota does, so it could end up being a $1k-$2k premium over a similarly-equipped Corolla.

I like the Accent, too, especially the 2015 Sport 6MT. I haven't test-driven it yet, but it seems pretty nice, albeit a bit plasticky...but that's the norm for the subcompact class, I suppose. (Even the Fit doesn't have padding on the door armrests, which I think is a shame considering how little it would cost to use soft-touch plastic or cloth there.) One caveat about the Accent is that the safety ratings for the rear-seat passengers are a bit weak in side-impact crashes, but that's not a concern for me given that it's almost always just me in the car.

As for the Fit, I'm still undecided. I love the cargo versatility, and I think the interior styling is quite nice, but the quality control issues worry me. I'm also torn about the transmission choices; I worry that the CVT won't be bullet-proof, and the terrible gearing on the 6MT is a huge let-down. I also think it's overpriced, though discounts seem to be inching up, according to Truecar. I hate the trim levels, too; it's ridiculous to have a sunroof and push-button start on the EX, but no heated mirrors or leather-wrapped steering wheel. I wish it were the other way around.

Last edited by tmport; 04-26-2015 at 12:31 PM.
Old 04-26-2015, 03:36 PM
If the Mazda2 were out when I was looking at the Fit, I quite possibly would've bought one for the driving experience (though I do find the Fit to be fun) and aesthetics. That said, nothing can beat the Fit when it comes to utility, so it's probably still the overall smarter choice.

Old 04-26-2015, 04:06 PM
I cross shopped a Corolla with the Fit since you can get a Corolla LE for the same price or cheaper than a Yaris LE and it gets better mileage with the CVT. They will probably price this iM higher though.

Old 04-26-2015, 10:11 PM
I own a first generation Scion xB, and I'm rather disappointed in Scion's offerings since.

If Scion had continued their xB line with the new JDM bB I would have one of them now, but with first generation xBs selling like hotcakes they decided to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory by switching to a bloated Camry platform that got 24MPG. That's why I don't have a lot of hope for the iM.

Old 04-28-2015, 01:19 PM
5 Year Member
2016 Mazda2 was a car I had on the radar- but it's for the time being out of the conversation because a few months ago- internally it was decided by Mazda Corporate that it would "not" be released to U.S.A. market and they notified Mazda dealerships of this as well- (I only found out this after- emailing a local Mazda dealership inquiring when they were finally arriving and he said they weren't and then I immediately called Mazda here in LA and unfortunately- they confirmed it) Which is a bummer since the new Mazda plant in Mexico is currently producing the new Mazda2 and with the partnership of Toyota the new rumored 2016 Yaris and never know maybe they maybe making some Scion's.

Old 04-28-2015, 04:00 PM
5 Year Member
I assume you may mean the sedan? As recently as this month Mazda got EPA certification for mileage numbers for the US market.

2016 Mazda2 gets EPA-rated 43 mpg highway

Old 04-28-2015, 04:10 PM
5 Year Member
Yep- when I called Mazda USA in Los Angeles last month or it could have been the month before that- they said- unfortunately a decision was made to not release the 2016 Mazda2 to US Markets at this time- which was a change of their original plans.

Old 04-28-2015, 04:19 PM
5 Year Member
If memory serves me right- their reason was they wanted to see or focus on the upcoming 2016 Mazda CX-3 and see how it performed first in the US market- then maybe decide again on bringing the 2016 Mazda2 on our shores (well make that- cross the border from Mexico)

Old 04-29-2015, 06:31 AM
Isn't that manufacturing plant in Mexico also producing a Scion sedan (to be sold in the USA) that's basically the same car as the Mazda2 sedan?

Old 04-29-2015, 11:05 AM
I like Mazda products very much. They build a certain degree of fun into cars that other makes seem to avoid.

Regarding Toyota products their quality is way, way down. Not as good as they were.

A family member had a Camry blow it's engine. The bottom completely went. It cost them $5,000 to repair as the warranty had literally ended just days before. If you search online you'll see the Toyota 4 cylinder engine is giving lots of people problems.

Avoid Toyota if possible.

Old 04-29-2015, 03:29 PM
Originally Posted by GoBucky
Isn't that manufacturing plant in Mexico also producing a Scion sedan (to be sold in the USA) that's basically the same car as the Mazda2 sedan?
2016 Scion iA Photos and Info ? News ? Car and Driver

I don't particularly like cross-brand cars like this. Pretty soon it'll be an orphan to the Scion dealer and a bastard to the Mazda dealer.

Much like the Scion FRS/Subaru BRZ pair. Mostly Subaru, but with enough Toyota content to be problematical in the future.

Last edited by GeorgeL; 04-29-2015 at 03:32 PM.
Old 04-29-2015, 05:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GeorgeL
I own a first generation Scion xB, and I'm rather disappointed in Scion's offerings since.

If Scion had continued their xB line with the new JDM bB I would have one of them now, but with first generation xBs selling like hotcakes they decided to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory by switching to a bloated Camry platform that got 24MPG. That's why I don't have a lot of hope for the iM.
You got that right George! I have a 2006 Scion Xb and nothing I've been able to find can match it in overall cargo capacity and economy. That big hatchback allows you to put stuff in the back that other cars in its class just dream about. I'm leaning towards getting a new FIT, but I know it will not do all the XB did for me. For now I am still holding onto my Scion but I do want to get a new vehicle soon.

Old 04-29-2015, 05:44 PM
5 Year Member
Yes- right about the same time- that the Mazda2 was changed from US shores there was the rumors then subsequent unveiling of not one but two new Scion models- sort of coincidental- maybe needed manufacture space and time to make another model or something... hmmm!

Old 04-30-2015, 06:41 AM
Originally Posted by fitfuture
You got that right George! I have a 2006 Scion Xb and nothing I've been able to find can match it in overall cargo capacity and economy. That big hatchback allows you to put stuff in the back that other cars in its class just dream about. I'm leaning towards getting a new FIT, but I know it will not do all the XB did for me. For now I am still holding onto my Scion but I do want to get a new vehicle soon.
A guy in my bike club owns a 1st gen xB, it is pretty amazing how large that little box is inside. Unfortunately that box can't match the Fit's gas mileage, mostly due to its drag coefficient.

Last edited by GoBucky; 05-01-2015 at 06:47 AM.
Old 04-30-2015, 06:43 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitfuture
Its funny that I delayed my Fit purchae because I was considering buying a used 2006 xB. If it didn't have 140,000 miles on it I might not have bought the Fit. The gen 1 was a beautiful car unlike any other. Fortunately my Fit has been great.

Anyways....Mazda makes beautiful cars now a days. Reliability would be a bigger concern as I know some mechanics who all advise against them when I bring up new cars. Though I do take their opinions with a grain of salt as their opinions seem to focus on how easy/bad it is to work on them rather than likelihood of problems (or so their comments lead me to believe anyways).

Old 04-30-2015, 11:01 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Evesowner
Its funny that I delayed my Fit purchae because I was considering buying a used 2006 xB. If it didn't have 140,000 miles on it I might not have bought the Fit. The gen 1 was a beautiful car unlike any other. Fortunately my Fit has been great.

Anyways....Mazda makes beautiful cars now a days. Reliability would be a bigger concern as I know some mechanics who all advise against them when I bring up new cars. Though I do take their opinions with a grain of salt as their opinions seem to focus on how easy/bad it is to work on them rather than likelihood of problems (or so their comments lead me to believe anyways).
Funny you should mention a 2006 XB with 140K miles. My 2006 has 132K and I anticipate having about 140K on it when I sell it later this year. Its been great. Other than standard brakes and batteries, the only thing I had to replace was an alternator. I wan't big on preventive repairs except for oil changes. I will miss it. But 140K is where I will likely bail. As I said in my earlier post its ability to carry what I needed to is unmatched in its class. And my overall MPG is a not too shaby 32.

Old 05-01-2015, 07:52 AM
Is it just me or does the Scion im look like it took quite a few style cues from the GK?

Old 05-02-2015, 12:18 AM
5 Year Member
In short, it appears that the Mazda2 will come to the USA--as a Scion model. We may see a Scion iA hatchback that is essentially the Mazda2 hatchback but styled as a Scion.

Old 05-02-2015, 12:56 AM
Originally Posted by MtViewGuy188
In short, it appears that the Mazda2 will come to the USA--as a Scion model. We may see a Scion iA hatchback that is essentially the Mazda2 hatchback but styled as a Scion.
I don't think we'll be missing out on the Mazda 2. The way I understood it, Scion gets the iA sedan and Mazda will keep the 2 hatchback. EPA numbers have already been released on the 2016 Mazda 2 so it looks like we'll be getting it.

The iA is hideous frankly. Amazing how they took the beautiful Mazda design and were somehow able to grotesquify it.

Quick Reply: How do you think they will stack against the Fit? - 2016 Scion iM and Mazda2