3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

How is your air conditioner?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 01:40 AM
How is your air conditioner?

I just made an 830 mile trip to Texas and the car got really hot inside to the point where myself and a passenger were basically constantly sweating. The air conditioner blew full blast and had a cold airflow, but the temperature of the car was never comfortable. Does anyone have this car who lives in a hot climate? I'd like to know if you have the same problem or if it's just mine.

Old 05-06-2015, 05:06 AM
5 Year Member
Were you using outside air or recirculated?

Old 05-06-2015, 08:00 AM
5 Year Member
The evaporator can only remove so much heat so fast. Pushing the air through it faster ("full blast") might not give the evaporator enough time to cool the air passing through it. I generally find I get the coldest air (or the warmest heat) in this car when I run the fan on 1 or 2. I know, it sounds counterintuitive, but there it is.

Up here, we've only had weather warm enough to use the AC for the past week or so, and I haven't really been able to put the AC in the '15 to a real test, but that's what worked with the '09 Fit I had.

One more point: if you're in "econ" mode, try turning it off. The econ mode affects the AC operation.

Last edited by Uncle Gary; 05-06-2015 at 08:14 AM.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:34 AM
5 Year Member
Uncle Gary is right a high fan doesn't gather the cooling from the coil. I had a 2009 and now a 2015 Fit and they both act the same. Took a trip down to South Carolina last year in my 2009 and had it on high fan as well and the longer I drove the hotter it got. I turned the fan down because I got a phone call using the speaker and noticed by the end of the call it was getting cooler. I ran the fan on #2 and it cooled better,but not real well. On a really hot and humid day in Ashville, NC I had it on recirculation and A/C quit working altogether. I had stopped for gasoline and get something cold to drink and noticed no water dripping out of the condensate drain under the car. On recirculating air the evaporator coil froze over because at the point at it's coldest in the cabin there was no "heat" in the air to continue to thaw the coil. Once it froze the fan didn't push any air. I had forgotten it was on recirculate,flipped it to outside air and within a few minutes down the road ,felt cooler air again. Recirculating is only to fast cool down the cabin and then switch to outside air to continue cooling. Haven't used the A/C much in the 2015 yet,but expect the same when real hot outside and sunny. With the black dash solar panel, black interior and large front windshield the heat load of a Fit exceeds the A/C capacity. The one thing that desperately corrected in the Fits. Just my experience with my Fits.

PaFitter

Old 05-06-2015, 09:27 AM
5 Year Member
Here in hot and humid Florida and it works fine. Usually keep it on 2 when it's really hot, and on the fresh air setting. Use 3 to get it cool if the car has been sitting in the sun before switching back to 2. This whether it's in ECON or not.

Old 05-06-2015, 10:28 AM
5 Year Member
Add in the fact that the cabin is large relative to the engine/AC unit. I find the cooling is more than adequate on a long drive, but it DOES take a long time to cool the cabin down, as there are a lot of surfaces that hold a considerable amount of heat.

Old 05-06-2015, 11:59 AM
How many of you guys roll the windows down for a block or two after you start up?

That always helps me, but I'm not having any issues in 85F sunny weather. I'll report back in a few months when its 95+

Old 05-06-2015, 01:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Redd
How many of you guys roll the windows down for a block or two after you start up?

That always helps me, but I'm not having any issues in 85F sunny weather. I'll report back in a few months when its 95+
I've always done that, too, although on the '15 EX, I'm more likely to tilt the moon roof (hot air rises).

Old 05-06-2015, 02:45 PM
Also if you have the ECON mode on, I suggest you turn it off for better A/C performance. I think one of the ways ECO mode gets more efficient is to limit A/C run time.

Old 05-31-2015, 11:00 PM
5 Year Member
In Texas with 90+ temperatures, I too have noticed that the A/C is not that great in 2015 Fit.

I have the LX which I was very happy in general, but I would have to have the moonroof for letting out the warmer air.

I wasn't expecting a new car to have a mediocre A/C system, but yes have to learn to live with it in the best possible way.

Old 05-31-2015, 11:28 PM
I live in Florida and my AC is pretty damn good, so good my aunt told me she was freazing and I should turn it off and this was on the first setting. I will say that when you get in it takes some minutes for the air to start circulating but I just open my windows and blast the AC when I first get in the car.

Old 06-01-2015, 07:18 AM
Between full blast, will not improve things so I use the second setting which seems better. I to live in Florida.

Old 06-01-2015, 07:53 AM
Unfortunately, I still haven't used mine. In fact it was 39 deg driving to work this morning. June.........39deg...........something's wrong here!

Old 06-01-2015, 02:12 PM
I live in Phoenix and its been 105+ deg. here lately and my a/c is working fine.

Old 06-01-2015, 06:24 PM
Originally Posted by exl500
Here in hot and humid Florida and it works fine. Usually keep it on 2 when it's really hot, and on the fresh air setting. Use 3 to get it cool if the car has been sitting in the sun before switching back to 2. This whether it's in ECON or not.
Jacksonville to Palm Beach and back. AC fine all the way in my LX on either 1 or 2. 88 to 90 outside.

Old 06-01-2015, 06:55 PM
I have a question for those that aren't happy with their A/C. What car are you comparing this performance to that was better? I've had Toyotas and think the Fit is fine, but all of those other cars were at least 14 years old.

Old 06-01-2015, 07:10 PM
I live Inland in Southern California (90+ temperatures at the moment, a few 100 degree days recently) and it works fine. I also drove through Vegas/Arizona recently and had no issues on a fan speed of 1 or 2. The real test will be the summer when it's over 100 every day, but I think it'll be alright based on its performance thus far.

Old 06-02-2015, 03:40 AM
Is there even an ECON mode? I've got only AUTO mode. Jazz 1.5 RS with climate control here.

Old 06-02-2015, 06:22 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GoBucky
Unfortunately, I still haven't used mine. In fact it was 39 deg driving to work this morning. June.........39deg...........something's wrong here!
Sounds like your A/C is working too good!

Old 06-02-2015, 07:52 AM
Originally Posted by Vanguard
Sounds like your A/C is working too good!
Lol.

Ok, this is getting a little ridiculous, it was 37 deg this morning (that's outside the car Vanguard, not in the car).

Quick Reply: How is your air conditioner?