3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Windows tinted FINALLY!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 12:08 PM
Windows tinted FINALLY!

Purchased back in November and have been telling the wife I have to get my windows tinted ASAP! We are in the middle of building a house so she asked me if it was really necessary right now. I agreed and kept dealing with the blaring sun in my fish bowl of a car. I was out of town and she got a flat in her CR-V so she drove my Fit for a few days. I get home and she says I have permission to get my windows tinted ASAP HAHA

20% all around.

Old 05-12-2015, 12:56 PM
tint level

is that 35% tint or more?

Looks nice!

Old 05-12-2015, 01:23 PM
5 Year Member
Don't forget to get your sunroof tinted.....the dark dyed glass does not block the sun's UV rays like tint does.

Old 05-12-2015, 02:36 PM
Originally Posted by Vanguard
Don't forget to get your sunroof tinted.....the dark dyed glass does not block the sun's UV rays like tint does.
Umm, glass blocks most UV, without tint!

Does my windshield protect me from the sun? - The Globe and Mail

Old 05-12-2015, 02:39 PM
Originally Posted by brzrkr
is that 35% tint or more?

Looks nice!
20% all around

Old 05-12-2015, 05:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GeorgeL
Thanks GeorgeL, I did not know the windshield blocks UV rays..... The link you provided states it is because windshields are laminated:

"The good news is, your windshield blocks virtually all damaging UV radiation.

Your windshield is normally quite different from the rest of your glass, in that it’s two pieces of glass laminated with a layer of plastic – vinyl – in between,” says Vandal. “So that triple-layer system by its nature – because plastics don’t like UV – contains UV inhibitors that protect the plastic and as a result also protect any transmission of UV through it. So a windshield, laminated glass, blocks 98 to 99 per cent of all UV – A, B or C.”

However, the article goes on to discuss the remaining glass in your car as not having this same protection:

"The side and back windows, however, are typically a single layer of thicker, tempered glass.

The tempering process is just to give it strength and make it break in a certain pattern that makes all those tiny little pieces. It blocks a reasonable amount of UVB – even 60 or 70 per cent, but transmits quite large amounts of UVA,” says Vandal. “So you get a little UVB through it, but it would still take you say many more times exposure to get a tan or a burn and hence that’s why that doesn’t happen through that glass. But you are still getting hit with the UVA.”

Then there is also the advantage of heat blocking from tinted windows (particularly the sunroof), and of course protection from glare, which is why it is so nice to have that 4" sun strip across the top of the windshield (legal to go super dark on this section).

Last edited by Vanguard; 05-12-2015 at 05:37 PM.
Old 05-12-2015, 07:12 PM
5 Year Member
Looking beautiful!

Old 05-12-2015, 10:10 PM
5 Year Member
Looks great!! Exact same look as my car except the front is 35 and rest are 20 thanks to California's strange tint laws.

Love the dark look of the windows.

Old 05-12-2015, 11:29 PM
Originally Posted by Vanguard
The part tint does block that you care about is infrared (IR) radiation. That's what heats your car up. It works just like a radiant foil barrier many of you may have in your attics.

Old 05-13-2015, 01:27 AM
5 Year Member
Some important comments on a couple of the posts here:

1. UV tint on the FIT windshield. There is some UV protection from the laminate, but I don't believe it comes close to 99%. It should be less than 50%. Only very high end cars have UV built in close to 90%--most production cars do not. I would consult with Honda at their customer service number for the exact UV protection from the windshield on the FIT. Llumar makes a clear 99% UV film for the windshield that cuts the UV and the heat. Very popular in Southern California. (Although illegal to apply to the windshield.)

2. Regarding tinting the Honda FIT in the state of California. The FIT has 9 windows to tint not including the windshield or moonroof. It's illegal to apply any tint to a windshield here. It's illegal to apply any tint more than 70 to the driver's window or the front passenger's window. (So popular 40, 35, and 20 are all illegal in California.) For the 5 windows in back of the driver you can tint them as dark as you like provided that you have 2 working side view mirrors. Reference: CA Vehicle Code Sections 26708 & 26708.5

Having said that, as I drive around Southern California, 1000's of cars are not in compliance with the state tint law.

The law really needs to be changed to permit a maximum of 35 in the front which would make it consistent with the law of neighboring states of Oregon and Arizona.

Old 05-13-2015, 01:32 AM
5 Year Member
Perfect--Looks great!

Old 05-13-2015, 08:47 AM
Glad your experience with tinting was better than mine! :-)

I got mine tinted this past weekend and as of right now, only 4 have with tint still on them. They scratched the tint on two windows and actually scratched the glass on two more (the front passenger vent window, and back driver quarter window). Now they have to actually replace the glass also...

Needless to say, I'm not a happy camper. Especially since the car is only 3 weeks old.

Yours looks great though!

Old 05-13-2015, 10:12 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FITEsq
Some important comments on a couple of the posts here:

1. UV tint on the FIT windshield. There is some UV protection from the laminate, but I don't believe it comes close to 99%. It should be less than 50%. Only very high end cars have UV built in close to 90%--most production cars do not. I would consult with Honda at their customer service number for the exact UV protection from the windshield on the FIT. Llumar makes a clear 99% UV film for the windshield that cuts the UV and the heat. Very popular in Southern California. (Although illegal to apply to the windshield.)

2. Regarding tinting the Honda FIT in the state of California. The FIT has 9 windows to tint not including the windshield or moonroof. It's illegal to apply any tint to a windshield here. It's illegal to apply any tint more than 70 to the driver's window or the front passenger's window. (So popular 40, 35, and 20 are all illegal in California.) For the 5 windows in back of the driver you can tint them as dark as you like provided that you have 2 working side view mirrors. Reference: CA Vehicle Code Sections 26708 & 26708.5

Having said that, as I drive around Southern California, 1000's of cars are not in compliance with the state tint law.

The law really needs to be changed to permit a maximum of 35 in the front which would make it consistent with the law of neighboring states of Oregon and Arizona.
My Daughter did not want a dark look, so she opted for 55% on the sides and back. We did however have 18% installed on the sunroof and the 4" sun strip on the top of the windshield, which really helps when driving into the sun. Keep in mind, our Tinting job was based on current Tennessee law, so it could be illegal in say, California, which appears to have very restrictive tint laws. We were advised to keep the original receipt in the glove box, which certifies the job as meeting Tennessee law, so should we ever be stopped in another State, the fact we are legal in our home state, is supposed to prevent us from getting a ticket elsewhere.

Thinking back many years ago, I had a friend who had his entire car tinted so dark, including the windshield, that you could not see into the car at all. He said it made being on a date with his girlfriend, fun.....

Old 05-13-2015, 12:30 PM
Thanks everyone. Florida law is 28% front, 15% rear. They won't pull you over strictly for tint here so unless you are being a dummy on the road you are good to go. My Mustang is 5% all around but was measure at 3% and my entire front windshield is 20% top to bottom. Got warned about it only because I was pulled over for my exhaust. That was 4 years ago.

Old 05-13-2015, 04:55 PM
5 Year Member
Cost?

Wanting to get my done too. Looks excellent!

Old 05-16-2015, 09:35 AM
5 Year Member
Removing door panels to tint windows

I'm going to get mine tinted this summer, and I've been looking at various places. One place said that they REMOVE all door panels and tint all the way down the window to prevent peeling.

What do you think all? I'm feeling a bit nervous to have them take apart the door panels. It seems like a place that knows what they are doing, but even then ya never know.

Old 05-16-2015, 10:09 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FitfulKenny
I'm going to get mine tinted this summer, and I've been looking at various places. One place said that they REMOVE all door panels and tint all the way down the window to prevent peeling.

What do you think all? I'm feeling a bit nervous to have them take apart the door panels. It seems like a place that knows what they are doing, but even then ya never know.
Never heard of that before. Can't they just give you a lifetime guarantee, like other tint shops?

Old 05-16-2015, 02:25 PM
5 Year Member
You don't need to remove door panels on a Honda FIT to tint it.

I have had both my 2009 and 2015 FITs tinted without door panel removal.

I discussed the door panel issue with my tint company before the work was done on each FIT.

They explained that on some cars like BMW, Rolls, and some other luxury cars where the sliding window glass is very tight to the felt/door frame they have to remove door panels.

When their machine laser cuts the shapes for the windows of the FIT it allows the proper amount of slack that fits exactly below the felt at the bottom of the windows. There is enough of a gap to slip it in without door panel removal.

If the shop is not computer laser cutting the shapes--could be one problem why they need to get below the door frame.

I interviewed another professional shop here in Southern Calif before the work was done and same thing for FIT--no door panel removal.

In fact, FIT is one of the least expensive cars to tint even though it has nine windows I was told.

Like I do, I would shop around and ask First if they have any experience tinting a FIT. Do they have machine that laser cuts the patterns?

If you happen to be taking a summer vacation in So. Cal. email me and I can recommend a couple of places here.

Old 05-18-2015, 06:58 AM
Originally Posted by FITEsq
You don't need to remove door panels on a Honda FIT to tint it.

I have had both my 2009 and 2015 FITs tinted without door panel removal.

I discussed the door panel issue with my tint company before the work was done on each FIT.

They explained that on some cars like BMW, Rolls, and some other luxury cars where the sliding window glass is very tight to the felt/door frame they have to remove door panels.

When their machine laser cuts the shapes for the windows of the FIT it allows the proper amount of slack that fits exactly below the felt at the bottom of the windows. There is enough of a gap to slip it in without door panel removal.

If the shop is not computer laser cutting the shapes--could be one problem why they need to get below the door frame.

I interviewed another professional shop here in Southern Calif before the work was done and same thing for FIT--no door panel removal.

In fact, FIT is one of the least expensive cars to tint even though it has nine windows I was told.

Like I do, I would shop around and ask First if they have any experience tinting a FIT. Do they have machine that laser cuts the patterns?

If you happen to be taking a summer vacation in So. Cal. email me and I can recommend a couple of places here.
Mine were laser cut but they don't go below the felt. The stop just before it. Is that normal?

Old 05-18-2015, 11:55 AM
Your car looks just like mine. Very nice. I do live the graphite color.

Quick Reply: Windows tinted FINALLY!