3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

How does your 15 Fit handle on the freeway?

Old 05-13-2015, 06:46 PM
How does your 15 Fit handle on the freeway?

Going 60-80 mine swerves left and right.

Im not sure if its cause I've only had it for a few days, or maybe cause the steering while is softer then my old car?

What do you guys think and whats your experiences?

thanks

Old 05-13-2015, 07:09 PM
5 Year Member
The car is very light and will follow grooves in the pavement and is susceptible to high winds. Having said that, it's nothing alarming or unacceptable. Minus those conditions it tracks straight and true.

Old 05-13-2015, 07:11 PM
That makes sense.

thanks

I might throw a sway bar in it, but who knows.

Old 05-13-2015, 10:20 PM
5 Year Member
I feel like part of the issue is the electronic power steering.

In town, its pretty well tuned. But at interstate speeds, its way too light. Even the littlest input can cause some swerving.

Since I owned the 2008/GD3 Fit for nearly 6 years, I'm using that as my comparison. The GD3 locked in and easily stayed in the center of a lane and didn't drift. The GK wanders significantly more in my opinion.

But this car feels heavier and not as susceptible to wind than the GD and since its more powerful, it feels more at home on the interstate that the GD did.

Old 05-14-2015, 12:13 AM
5 Year Member
It's very light and the tires are thin, so it does follow imperfections on the pavement.

Not as susceptible to being pushed by high winds as my Honda Element. But then again, that thing's basically a box.

The steering is pretty light, but not actually as light as the Element I just mentioned. It's still way lighter than my girlfriend's Accord V6 coupe's electric steering, and way, way lighter than my hydraulic-steering BMW.

Compared to other B-segment cars and C-segment cars I test drove before buying, it is relatively planted, though. It's just the consequence of light steering + light car + thin tires.

Old 05-14-2015, 03:21 AM
I ordered a progress sway bar.

I hope it helps.

Old 05-14-2015, 05:10 AM
a recurrent theme

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...oem-tires.html

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...consensus.html

I think you get used to it to a degree. I travel for work and drive a rental car when I get there. So I re-notice this when I return to the Fit on the drive home from the airport. Seems that with most cars there is a little bit of play and some feedback at the steering wheel that may be lacking in the fit's electric steering. So that you learn to make very fine adjustments based on visual cues and less on tactile feedback from the steering wheel as compared with most cars. I don't get the same feeling of the car sort of settling into a groove when going straight on the highway, its like the steering is maybe a little too sensitive at high speeds.

Solutions seem to mention alignment, tire pressure, different tires, and rear stabilizer bar.

Please post what you think of the progress sway bar after you have tried it. I have been tempted.

thanks

Old 05-14-2015, 07:48 AM
Hmmm, I've never noticed any of those symptoms on the freeway. Mine seems to track very well. It's no doubt dependent to a large degree on what condition the roads are in. High winds will push it around a bit but that's no different than any other car.

Old 05-14-2015, 04:26 PM
jhn
Originally Posted by jukeboxx13
I ordered a progress sway bar.

I hope it helps.
Progress doesn't make one for the '15 yet, unless they just released it to the market. Did you get one for an older gen Fit? If so, reports are they don't work. I'm not sure though; please post your findings of it's an older sway bar.

I lowered mine; I added negative camber; I have wider wheels and spacers; I have stiffer springs so it's much more stable changing lanes.

Old 05-15-2015, 03:36 AM
Originally Posted by jhn
Progress doesn't make one for the '15 yet, unless they just released it to the market. Did you get one for an older gen Fit? If so, reports are they don't work. I'm not sure though; please post your findings of it's an older sway bar.

I lowered mine; I added negative camber; I have wider wheels and spacers; I have stiffer springs so it's much more stable changing lanes.
I got it from here and it says 09-15 so fingers crossed.

Progress Technology AntiSway Bar HONDA FIT

Old 05-15-2015, 09:16 AM
5 Year Member

That part number is listed on the Progress site as for '09-'13 (there was no USDM '14 model). The rear beam in the GK is quite different from the GE, so I suspect you'll be returning that bar.

I plan to add one myself, and have been waiting on Progress to offer one. There are a couple other vendors who have GK bars available, but I've not seen any reports yet from folks who have installed one (post links if they're out there).

es

Old 05-15-2015, 11:15 AM
jhn

I talked to that company, as well as Progress about a month ago and both confirmed it will not work on a GK. it's pretty bad that they're aware of it and they still haven't corrected their website.

Old 05-15-2015, 11:23 AM
jhn
The part number for this one is listed to work on the GK on UR's website. I suspect the City/ Jazz/ Fit all share the same torsion beam axle?

http://m.ebay.com/itm/171376413529?nav=SEARCH

Old 05-15-2015, 12:22 PM
Damn so I just lost money.

If they know it wont fit but wont update tells me they are hustling folks.

Old 05-15-2015, 03:56 PM
5 Year Member
I drive on the longest 6 lane non suspension bridge in NA twice every day. My last felt...let's say....dangerous to drive on that bridge in high winds (I think it needed new suspension). My Fit? Way less of a problem. In fact it doesn't bother me one bit.

Note: I have a nasty fear of heights and even though it's a six lanes I am pretty sensitive when the wind hits my car since I am waaaay up high above the ground below.

Old 05-15-2015, 05:23 PM
Going 60-80 mine swerves left and right.

Im not sure if its cause I've only had it for a few days, or maybe cause the steering while is softer then my old car?

What do you guys think and whats your experiences?

thanks

Mine is stable at all speeds. Well above 80, too

Old 05-15-2015, 05:32 PM
5 Year Member
I experienced this with my old 11 Fit Sport, as soon as I left the dealership. Once I put on my new Enkei wheels (17x7) with Conti DSWs, problem was immediately corrected.

Old 05-16-2015, 01:12 PM
5 Year Member
I often drive my 15 LX at 75-80 mph, and I find it handles well at those speeds.
The FIT is not a sports car; as it is light, has a high profile and its center of gravity is a bit higher than average.
That said, it still handles very well at high speeds.
Gregg

Old 05-17-2015, 03:05 AM
I agree this car handles amazingly well at speed. On the freeway the other day an SUV swerved into my lane and the Fit handled it beautifully avoiding contact with no fuss whatsoever. Love this car.

Old 05-18-2015, 08:13 AM
5 Year Member
My '09 (GE Fit Sport) tended to wander a bit in heavy crosswinds, but my GK EX feels very solidly planted for a small car up to about 75 (I haven't had it faster).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How does your 15 Fit handle on the freeway?