3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

How does your 15 Fit handle on the freeway?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 10:21 AM
5 Year Member
In my experience an anti roll / sway bar won't really help with highway drifting. The main purpose is to keep the car flat / planted when taking corners, distributing the weight more evenly across the inner and outer wheels.

Old 05-20-2015, 02:53 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jukeboxx13
Going 60-80 mine swerves left and right.

Im not sure if its cause I've only had it for a few days, or maybe cause the steering while is softer then my old car?

What do you guys think and whats your experiences?

thanks
I couldn't stand driving mine above 70 because of how the car was just all over the road due to tracking and wind. I ditched the stock tires (and wheels) after a few hundred miles of dealing with what felt like an unsafe car at higher speeds and the car feels much safer, even confidence inspiring with the new rubber. There is still some wind issues but the car stays in its own lane now instead of always swerving\tracking to follow every groove in the road. I would say the stock tires are below average performing tires, but should be fine for people that only do city driving and not 80+ mph daily. I went with Bridgestone Potenze RE760 sport tires because they are decent tires, from past experience, and were cheap (about 90 each after rebate). The only time those crappy stock tires will be going back on the car is when it's time to sell the thing.

Last edited by YourConfused; 05-20-2015 at 02:58 AM.
Old 05-20-2015, 04:09 AM
Originally Posted by YourConfused
I couldn't stand driving mine above 70 because of how the car was just all over the road due to tracking and wind. I ditched the stock tires (and wheels) after a few hundred miles of dealing with what felt like an unsafe car at higher speeds and the car feels much safer, even confidence inspiring with the new rubber. There is still some wind issues but the car stays in its own lane now instead of always swerving\tracking to follow every groove in the road. I would say the stock tires are below average performing tires, but should be fine for people that only do city driving and not 80+ mph daily. I went with Bridgestone Potenze RE760 sport tires because they are decent tires, from past experience, and were cheap (about 90 each after rebate). The only time those crappy stock tires will be going back on the car is when it's time to sell the thing.
Thats not bad at all.

I think this is the route I'll go as today I had another bad experience on a iffy road surface.

Old 05-21-2015, 02:17 AM
Originally Posted by stembridge
That part number is listed on the Progress site as for '09-'13 (there was no USDM '14 model). The rear beam in the GK is quite different from the GE, so I suspect you'll be returning that bar.

I plan to add one myself, and have been waiting on Progress to offer one. There are a couple other vendors who have GK bars available, but I've not seen any reports yet from folks who have installed one (post links if they're out there).

es
arrived today and nope it wont fit.

The 15's only have one mounting hole vs the 3 you need for the Progress.

Looks like I just lost $40 bucks on shipping and re stocking fees.

Old 05-21-2015, 08:03 AM

I would give the supplier a call and explain that their web site has incorrect info re 2015 fitment. Perhaps they will refund every dollar. Probably worth a try.

Old 05-21-2015, 06:26 PM
5 Year Member
I wish to add a safety-related note - don't mess with roll stiffness distribution unless you know what you're doing.
Generally speaking, car mfgrs tune the handling behaviour of cars to try to make them safe as possible in worst case conditions with inexperienced drivers. If my daughter has to swerve to avoid a collision, I want our Fit to understeer, not oversteer and switch ends on her. My '84 GLI would hang out its tail on fast off-ramps if I lifted off the gas pedal at the limit- some trailing throttle oversteer to spice things up, caused by placing lots of (too much?) roll stiffness at the back axle. Good fun until your teenage son tries it.
This is engineered into the car partly by choice of front and rear camber, but also by setting the front-to-rear roll stiffness distribution, and that is where the roll-bars come into play. The GK has roll stiffness devices at both front and rear -yeah freak out if you want - but the rear axle is a torsion beam which means it already has roll stiffness designed-in. Cheaper, simpler, lighter, not perfect.
"It's not the roll stiffness that matters, but the roll stiffness distribution" - google that quote - Honda set up the front and rear balance to give us some safe comfy understeer, just like many other basic cars for regular folk. Mess with it at your peril.

Old 05-21-2015, 09:01 PM

Just sell it on here, someone will buy it.

Maybe even me lol

Old 05-22-2015, 07:11 AM
Originally Posted by bzdang
I wish to add a safety-related note - don't mess with roll stiffness distribution unless you know what you're doing.
Generally speaking, car mfgrs tune the handling behaviour of cars to try to make them safe as possible in worst case conditions with inexperienced drivers. If my daughter has to swerve to avoid a collision, I want our Fit to understeer, not oversteer and switch ends on her. My '84 GLI would hang out its tail on fast off-ramps if I lifted off the gas pedal at the limit- some trailing throttle oversteer to spice things up, caused by placing lots of (too much?) roll stiffness at the back axle. Good fun until your teenage son tries it.
This is engineered into the car partly by choice of front and rear camber, but also by setting the front-to-rear roll stiffness distribution, and that is where the roll-bars come into play. The GK has roll stiffness devices at both front and rear -yeah freak out if you want - but the rear axle is a torsion beam which means it already has roll stiffness designed-in. Cheaper, simpler, lighter, not perfect.
"It's not the roll stiffness that matters, but the roll stiffness distribution" - google that quote - Honda set up the front and rear balance to give us some safe comfy understeer, just like many other basic cars for regular folk. Mess with it at your peril.
So seriously, how does one gain all that knowledge. I am honestly impressed, bzdang.

Old 06-04-2015, 01:15 AM
My 2015 GK Honda Fit is fairly stable on the straight until you pass 65 mph. The car feels wavy left and right at those speeds when you have high cross winds. I do wish for a slightly harder suspension setup as the stock OEM suspension is way too soft for the highway.

Last edited by FDFanboi; 06-04-2015 at 01:18 AM.
Old 06-04-2015, 02:47 AM
Our speed limit here is only 56 mph (90 kmh). My new Jazz performs all right with no sways to the left or right. I sometimes go beyond, around 62 mph and it is still all right. I am happy with it.

Old 06-05-2015, 07:04 AM
Originally Posted by FDFanboi
My 2015 GK Honda Fit is fairly stable on the straight until you pass 65 mph. The car feels wavy left and right at those speeds when you have high cross winds. I do wish for a slightly harder suspension setup as the stock OEM suspension is way too soft for the highway.
I haven't even had mine up to 65 yet. Our freeway speeds are either 50 or 55 in town and I haven't taken it on any trips yet, so maybe 60 has been my max, but at that speed, the ride seems fine.

Old 06-05-2015, 10:38 AM
5 Year Member
I had mine up to 80 this morning (briefly-while passing a truck), and noticed no handling or stability concerns. The car is definitely better handling, and more solidly "planted" at speed than my '09 Fit was, and I had no problems with that car.

Yes, I had both hands on the steering wheel, but, then, isn't that how you're supposed to drive a car?

Old 06-05-2015, 12:50 PM
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
I had mine up to 80 this morning (briefly-while passing a truck), and noticed no handling or stability concerns. The car is definitely better handling, and more solidly "planted" at speed than my '09 Fit was, and I had no problems with that car.

Yes, I had both hands on the steering wheel, but, then, isn't that how you're supposed to drive a car?
In 1300 miles, it only happens on roads with a lot of grooves, and its only on one certain freeway section down here.

I can live woth that for now.

Last edited by jukeboxx13; 06-05-2015 at 12:54 PM.
Old 06-05-2015, 07:31 PM
It tends to sway left and right because of tram lining. This is a problem with many cars but is exaggerated on the fit due to its small size , suspension setup, front wheel drive, and possible cross winds. Otherwise when the winds are down and the roads are smooth, its easily handled at 80-100 mph in my experiences.

I did bring it to 100 mph and had no issues.

Old 06-06-2015, 07:45 AM
Just bought a Silver MT EX yesterday. Made in December '14. It came with Firestones and it handles great on the highway. It's a small car so some things will effect it worse than the heavier cars. Drove about 150 miles on the highway and really like this car. The seat is a little hard but I'm sure that will break in.

Old 06-10-2015, 11:00 PM
Wind Clipping

I haven't noticed any swerving, but I have noticed if I have the front driver's side window down, the air rushing in on the highway makes a clipping sound like cars normally do if you only have the back windows down...that's kind of annoying.

Old 06-11-2015, 12:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by KuroMB
I haven't noticed any swerving, but I have noticed if I have the front driver's side window down, the air rushing in on the highway makes a clipping sound like cars normally do if you only have the back windows down...that's kind of annoying.

My old Fit ('09) did that too. Kind of makes me miss the old quarter-pane vent windows cars used to have back before A/C was universal.

Old 06-11-2015, 11:12 PM
I drive on the freeway everyday and have no problems, no matter the speed. One time my friend and I were in the car talking and listening to music and at one point I hit 110mph and didn't even realize it because the ride was so smooth, and I was running stock wheels and suspension. It also keeps a smooth ride even at constant high speeds. Just about all my driving friends have BMW's and my car does a great job keeping up and no problems when staying at a consistent high speed.

Old 06-13-2015, 01:27 PM
Just wrapped up a 900 mile trip to and from DC...70+mph interstates and 35mph Skyline Drive mountain roads. The car handled perfectly.