2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering on-center feel

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 08:32 PM
Steering on-center feel

Hi guys, I did a search about this and founds no threads specifically regarding this subject..

I'm sure we all know the Fit has a bit of vague on-center steering feel so as a result when the road is slightly canted there needs to be quite substantial steering correction to counter it. Otherwise the steering feels great in a turn.

Anyone able to solve or minimize this effect with modifications?

I have an anti-roll bar and tower brace, and that helped, but I want to go further on it. I'm thinking of rigid collars and polyurethene bushings next.

Old 01-03-2017, 08:49 PM
So the funny thing is I did a search again and got two results on this very subject. :/

Anyway, to add a bit more detail, I'd like to keep the EPS for drivability.

After some more searching, I found these:

SuperPro Suspension Parts and Poly Bushings for HONDA JAZZ GE - 2007-2014
Control Arm Lower-Rear Bush Kit - Double/Single Offset

Alignment Correction. Caster Adjustments, and standard.

*CASTER* adjustments ! wondering if that's what should solve the issue?

Old 01-03-2017, 11:18 PM
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by fitcity
I'm sure we all know the Fit has a bit of vague on-center steering feel so as a result when the road is slightly canted there needs to be quite substantial steering correction to counter it.
I have not had this experience with my 2012 Fit Sport. The steering is great, very responsive and not vague on-center.

Old 01-04-2017, 06:28 AM
5 Year Member
fitcity: I wrote up a steering evaluation / adjustment procedure I found in the 2009-2011 Honda Service Manual. Refer to this thread, which still appears on the first page of the 2nd Generation threads. Sloppy steering 2010 fit sport

The other thing that can affect steering feel is tire pressure. If too high, the front wheels won't feel planted on the road and want to wander left / right and it takes very little input by you to turn the wheels - almost too easy.

Old 01-04-2017, 09:27 AM
5 Year Member
I don't know what to make of it, but when I went shopping for a used Fit, I drove an '09 (GE) and it wandered noticeably on a straight road. I later tested a '13 (GE) and it ran straight as an arrow. Both vehicles had about the same mileage. I'm guessing that alignment and/or tire inflation was the problem with the '09.

Old 01-04-2017, 12:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by The Fitness
I have not had this experience with my 2012 Fit Sport. The steering is great, very responsive and not vague on-center.

I find the steering in the Fit to be appallingly vague.

At all times.

Old 01-04-2017, 07:05 PM
how to IMPROVE the steering on-center feel

Well then allow me to rephrase the question....

Any ideas on how to IMPROVE the steering on-center feel, which I find quite vague.

I have read about the 'sloppy steering' thread and find it quite useful. However, I think this isn't an age-related issue like in that thread (yet), but I am sure to have it looked at anyway. Also interesting that it appears that Honda have fixed this in the later models? I have never tried the later ones.

On mine (I own both a '09 Jazz and a '11 City) I find that the steering is quite vague on-center. Certainly not as bad as some of the other cars I have driven, but it is certainly worse than my previous hydraulic Hondas. IIRC the City wanders less on the road and the Jazz steering returns to center a bit less but both has about the same on-center vagueness so that differences may have to do with weight/aero/distribution differences (they are essentially the same car from the wheels down).

My 'fix' for this is to put anti-roll bar & brace when I got the City. Then I put it on the Jazz as well. It helped the stability a lot more, but there is still a vagueness to it that I would like to get rid of entirely if possible.

IMO, the steering feels great when turning. Like everything it's not perfect so it's just the straight road that I would like to improve on. I feel like caster is a good place to start, but I have no idea if those bushings would help.

Last edited by fitcity; 01-04-2017 at 07:13 PM.