3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

do you use your sunroof?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 10:07 AM
5 Year Member
do you use your sunroof?

I am still Fit EX shopping. I've never had sunroof so I am not sure how often I will use it . If it were an option, I think I'd skip it. I like the LX gas mileage, but like the larger screen in the EX. Guess I'm stuck with the sunroof. Will I like it?

Old 07-10-2015, 10:52 AM
Originally Posted by Press Fit
I am still Fit EX shopping. I've never had sunroof so I am not sure how often I will use it . If it were an option, I think I'd skip it. I like the LX gas mileage, but like the larger screen in the EX. Guess I'm stuck with the sunroof. Will I like it?

I like it very much for ambient light all the time. If you are the sort of driver who opens all the windows and enjoys the drive during nice weather, the sunroof will certainly enhance that experience. I suppose the sunroof adds weight but definitely worth it in my opinion.

Old 07-10-2015, 12:02 PM
I went with the LX because honestly, I have an LX budget and I couldn't justify the extra money for bells and whistles that didn't improve the car itself (i.e. It's not a better engine on the EX). The sunroof is the thing I wanted the most, but I've never had a sunroof before so I knew I could skip it. My advice, if you have the means, just get the EX. You want the bigger screen anyway and think how nice it could be to drive with the moonroof at night, letting you glance up at the stars, or being able to vent the sunroof in the summer when your car has been parked in the sun to get rid of some of that hot air faster.

Old 07-10-2015, 12:06 PM
I use the sunroof also. In fact I wanted the sunroof and the EX was only option for that. The climate wear I live is pretty good and it's nice driving with the windows down instead of sucking a/c the whole time.

Old 07-10-2015, 02:50 PM
Originally Posted by Suki3
I like it very much for ambient light all the time. If you are the sort of driver who opens all the windows and enjoys the drive during nice weather, the sunroof will certainly enhance that experience. I suppose the sunroof adds weight but definitely worth it in my opinion.
Exact reason I went with the EX. In Dallas, TX I drive with windows down most of the time. When it's 90+ degrees outside here the car gets HOT, and the sunroof works wonders to release a lot of the heat in about 30 seconds.

Also, the Fit's audio system is kinda tinny. In my experience, cracking the windows and having the sunroof open improves it to a noticable degree. So far I don't have any regrets choosing the EX over the LX...with the exception of a crappy infotainment, which plagues all Honda vehicles...

Old 07-10-2015, 04:25 PM
5 Year Member
I love the sunroof. I love how bright and airy the car is. I rarely open the windows and sunroof, but the option is nice and it's great when I do. I always keep the glass so I can see through it.

Oh and Lane Watch is terrific too, which isn't on the LX.

Old 07-10-2015, 04:29 PM
5 Year Member
This is the first car my wife and I have owned with a sunroof and we have been enjoying it, particularly after 6 p.m. when the sun is starting to set and getting less intense.

However, we live in an area with a lot of farms that use powerful overhead irrigation and we did get a splash a few days ago when not paying attention when driving near corn fields. Guess there is a learning curve with this feature too.

Old 07-10-2015, 04:29 PM
5 Year Member
I wanted the EX and the sunroof comes with it. If it was an option I would not have ordered the sunroof. I had one in my Subaru and liked it - it was a manual operated style. But in the back of my mind I will always wonder when the EX sunroof will fail because it is powered. Oh and then there is the chance of water leakage but that is a possibility with both types of sunroofs. Good luck.

Old 07-10-2015, 06:09 PM
5 Year Member
I consider the sunroof a nice bonus. Had one in an '85 Volvo and an '02 GTI. The Volvo was an old-school collapsible crank. The GTI was powered but had an emergency crank tool concealed in the ceiling panel near the map lights. I'm just realizing now that there's no emergency tool in the Fit, which cuts into my comfort zone a bit (even though it was never needed in the GTI, one of the few parts that never broke).

When we picked up the Volvo, the first thing I did was open the sunroof for the ride home. That day I discovered that falling snow stays outside the car as long as it's moving; later I learned that rain is much more persistent.

I've used the Fit sunroof a lot and really enjoy it so far. But one thing I've learned is that it's really hard to see the touch screen when the sunroof is open.

Old 07-10-2015, 10:33 PM
I used to have a sunroof and the only time I would ever use it would be to let hot air out of the car, so I didn't get it this time since it's so humid all the time.

Old 07-10-2015, 10:58 PM
5 Year Member
Never in any car I've ever owned. I don't know why, but I just consider it as a waste of money, weight, and headroom (gotta lose some room in order to fit the pane and motor(s) in, versus just a regular roof). However, I do crack it slightly rather than crack my windows to vent the car if I'm parking it in the sun for a while.

Old 07-11-2015, 12:38 AM
5 Year Member
I like venting air out the sunroof while driving without even using power to the fan speed control. Without it open, I'd have to crack a window which is considerably noisier. The sunroof is pretty quiet just tilted up.

Old 07-11-2015, 06:55 AM
5 Year Member
It's my first car with a sunroof and I thought it would be a waste too, but I was wrong. I use it a LOT both day and night. It gives air flow in a much quieter way than opening a window(s).

And for the record, a few weeks ago I had to bring my EX in the Honda shop for the day and they gave me a LX to use in the meantime. I REALLY didn't like the LX. Call me nuts, but it was more noisy, that small screen was horrible, and the no right turn camera option about made me kiss my EX when I got it back. Plus, I missed by sunroof.

Old 07-11-2015, 07:03 AM
Just slap in an after-market unit in the LX. You will save about $1000 over the lifetime of the car in gas(assuming about 170k miles) in additional to the money you will save between the LX and EX. Honda's infotainment was recently dished by Consumer Reports as one of the most confusing ones out there (and its smartphone support is terrible).

You get:

Better Mileage
Save Money
A better radio
save the environment a little

Last edited by phillyfit08; 07-11-2015 at 07:07 AM.
Old 07-11-2015, 07:05 AM
5 Year Member
This is only my second car with a sunroof. My last was my '84 Shelby Charger. On that car, the sunroof only tilted up. To open it, you removed it manually and stowed it in the trunk. Although I rarely removed it, I did use the tilt feature to improve ventilation (no AC in the Shelby).

I thought the sunroof on the Fit would be pretty useless, but it turns out I use it every day. Tilting or opening the sunroof is the most efficient way of venting the hot air out of the car after parking in the sun, much better than opening the windows, as hot air rises. I start the car, turn on the AC and pop the sunroof. In a few minutes the car is nice and cool inside.

I find I also enjoy the "airy" feel of the sunroof, even when closed. Turns out the only time I close the "shade" is when the sun is directly in my face at midday.

Old 07-11-2015, 07:32 AM
For me.....Nope

Don't use it, it causes more heat to enter cabin when closed, and I don't want to look up while driving to be distracted Wish Honda would allow us to opt out if we wanted to on the EX model like some other manufactures do

Old 07-11-2015, 08:30 PM
5 Year Member
I'm using it but sometimes just flip back the cover. .It is not a real big roof but it is nice to have! I feel that the other options you get with the EX make it a better deal overall for me and truthfully I never considered the LX. I think it will add resale value even years down the road.

Old 07-11-2015, 09:45 PM
5 Year Member
I've NEVER owned a car with a sun roof. I LOVE IT!

I'm a windows down guy.. but for some reason.. I'm not happy with windows down in the Fit..

But I do have the sunroof open for light all the time except in direct sunlight (glare on screen)...

Once the weather cools off again.. I'm going to see if I can respark the windows down love..

Go with the EX. I'm a major cheap a$$... well worth the extra cash for keyless entry and start, electronics and sun roof.

Old 07-11-2015, 10:54 PM
Yes.

I've actually had the weather stripping on the sunroof misaligned so I complained to the dealership and they fixed it for me.

Old 07-12-2015, 12:22 AM
5 Year Member
I'm waiting for the 2016 EXs to come out and other than to occasionally run the sun roof through its positions to keep its track lubed and maybe slide the sun shade back to let light inside on a rare occasion; otherwise, its dead weight to me.

Even when driving the 2015s at work, I don't use the sun roof at all other than to check them during pre-delivery inspections and for customer concerns.

Quick Reply: do you use your sunroof?