3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Honda you have until September to add Android Auto

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 11:12 AM
Originally Posted by Wallygator
No the LOL was not facetious. You gave HONDA, one of the biggest manufacturers of fine cars in the world an ultimatum. I found that funny. I found it funny because of a few reasons. One of which, who cares about which phone has more play in the car than the other. Dam there are so many posts on this forum about this phone and that phone. That is a miniscule aspect of the car. My opinion of this car (the Fit) is different than yours.

Also, as mentioned, the Golf is a good car. That is what I said. I wish I could have afforded the GTI or diesel because that is the car I would have bought. And NOT because of the capabilities of the radio. No, it is a blast to drive the GTI. The diesel? For the mileage. And it's no slouch either. But with all things considered, and I mean all things, the Fit is the best value of a car out there.

And just because you can only get blue tooth hook up on your phone, is not a legit reason to justify an ultimatum to Honda. Your ultimatum is laughable dude. Honda knows there are other phones out there.

Honda realizes the capabilities of their system. They weighed the options and decided on a plan. It has obviously worked out for them as this car is very popular despite the lack of the radios capabilities. The radio is one tiny part of the complete picture. It's really sort of ignorant to think Honda doesn't know their business.
I didn't realize you were a Honda employee and can talk for the company? I work in web development and I post my tech findings on my company Yammer (5000+ people). So far my Android Auto thread has well over a 100 replies. So now do you think Honda cares about my opinion?

When I get my new car next month, I will be showing the people who have asked if they could "test it out". Do you think Honda will care now?

I find what is laughable is what you THINK you know what Honda thinks.

Word to the wise, in any business situation, lost revenue is taken seriously.

Old 08-04-2015, 12:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by phillyfit08
I post my tech findings on my company Yammer (5000+ people). So far my Android Auto thread has well over a 100 replies. So now do you think Honda cares about my opinion?
No.

When I get my new car next month, I will be showing the people who have asked if they could "test it out". Do you think Honda will care now?
No.

Old 08-04-2015, 12:23 PM
5 Year Member
But I could be wrong. Honda might have just last week commissioned a team of fifty with getting Android Auto out for the Fit by September because phillyfit08 said. At any rate, we'll know in about four weeks.

Looking like it's too late for you to work your will on Toyota: Toyota Officially Rejects Apple CarPlay And Android Auto.

Last edited by Dick W; 08-04-2015 at 12:29 PM.
Old 08-04-2015, 12:50 PM
Originally Posted by Dick W
No.

No.
Great responses. Bravo. I really hope you don't run a business.

Old 08-04-2015, 12:53 PM
But I could be wrong. Honda might have just last week commissioned a team of fifty with getting Android Auto out for the Fit by September because phillyfit08 said. At any rate, we'll know in about four weeks.

Looking like it's too late for you to work your will on Toyota: Toyota Officially Rejects Apple CarPlay And Android Auto.
Oh and Toyota announced their support for Android Auto back at Google I/O 2014. What? They didn't?!! Wait that was Honda......

Dude you should really know the subject before posting

Would you like me to post video of Honda displaying Android Auto about a year and 2 months ago? I can if you want.

Toyota never said they would support it so your link and retort is irrelevant.

Edit found it:

Last edited by phillyfit08; 08-04-2015 at 12:56 PM.
Old 08-04-2015, 01:05 PM
5 Year Member
27 days to go to see just how much Honda cares about your ultimatum. And your tremendous importance as a tech influencer.

Old 08-04-2015, 01:07 PM
27 days to go to see just how much Honda cares about your ultimatum. And your tremendous importance as a tech influencer.
Wow taunting people over the internet makes you such a cool person.

Old 08-04-2015, 02:18 PM
I have another question. Is there any stock infotainment system that actually works well? Every review I see for any system pans it.

I really hate to see these systems get intertwined with the car computer systems. They should be physically separate simply for security reasons.

Old 08-04-2015, 03:27 PM
I didn't realize you were a Honda employee and can talk for the company? No. Never said that. But you seriously think Honda's engineers don't do their homework? They work with the accountants and everyone else and go through and develop every aspect of the car. Don't be facetious man!

I work in web development and I post my tech findings on my company Yammer (5000+ people). So far my Android Auto thread has well over a 100 replies. So now do you think Honda cares about my opinion? Sure they care about everyone's opinion. But you are being very arrogant if you think you can change anything Honda does here. There are so many variables in play with this tech.

When I get my new car next month, I will be showing the people who have asked if they could "test it out". Do you think Honda will care now? Again, I am sure Honda knows what their cars can do compared to other cars. You can bet Honda has purchased every car in each competitive class and tested those cars against their cars. Come on man, really? And again, enjoy your Golf. It's a good car.

I find what is laughable is what you THINK you know what Honda thinks. No I don't know what Honda thinks, but I do know Honda is not dumb and they will try and put out the best product they can that will appeal to the most people they can appeal to. This company is a winner and they have been doing business for decades. They know what to do and how to do it. If the tech is not ready they will not put it out. Simple as that. Obviously they are having problems reliably implementing your tech into the system. Obviously they had no, or minimal, problems implementing the Apples because that is the product they released. If there are too many issues, Honda will not give it a go. Until they can get the known issues down to a certain percentage, it won't be on the car. How do I know this? Because it's smart business and what you or any other tech savvy critic has to say about it, is not going to change that.

Word to the wise, in any business situation, lost revenue is taken seriously.
No shit. And putting out a bug filled system will lose revenue. No matter how many people want a certain tech, it won't be implemented by Honda if it can't be done with a certain percentage of reliability. You can bank on that.

Last edited by Wallygator; 08-04-2015 at 03:29 PM.
Old 08-04-2015, 03:34 PM
Originally Posted by GeorgeL
I have another question. Is there any stock infotainment system that actually works well? Every review I see for any system pans it.

I really hate to see these systems get intertwined with the car computer systems. They should be physically separate simply for security reasons.
I agree with the security concerns. I mean every car sold today has a gps tracking system in it now. This is why I could care less about all this tech crap. I drive my car and could care less if my phone gels with my car.

And there is no stock system that is 100% working perfectly with any car. There will always be issues. The tech is advancing every day and the manufacturers can not keep up. yet another reason why this thread is a laughable.

Old 08-04-2015, 05:09 PM
5 Year Member
I wish I could have afforded the GTI or diesel because that is the car I would have bought. And NOT because of the capabilities of the radio. No, it is a blast to drive the GTI. The diesel? For the mileage. And it's no slouch either. But with all things considered, and I mean all things, the Fit is the best value of a car out there.
FWIW, I drove a '00 TDI New Beetle for twelve years and replaced it with a '13 Beetle Convertible TDi, which I sold after 18 months because VW hadn't fixed the same dumb design and quality issues I had with the NB (almost sold that one several times too, but it was a hoot to drive and actually was quite reliable from about 150K -219K miles when I sold it).

My '13 TDi was averaging around 42mpg (the NB averaged around 44-45), but with the higher cost of diesel, my Fit is actually costing me less per mile at 38-39mpg: $.07 vs. $.10 for the Beetle.

Oh, and you think the radio in the Fit is bad? The Beetle's radio was positively creaky old by comparison!

I'm pretty disappointed that Honda is reneging on CarPlay in the '15 Fit - that was a huge selling point by the dealer and important in my selection of the Fit.

es

Old 08-04-2015, 05:39 PM
5 Year Member
Wink

I agree with the security concerns. I mean every car sold today has a gps tracking system in it now. This is why I could care less about all this tech crap. I drive my car and could care less if my phone gels with my car.

And there is no stock system that is 100% working perfectly with any car. There will always be issues. The tech is advancing every day and the manufacturers can not keep up. yet another reason why this thread is a laughable.

I've been following this thread with some degree of amusement. I bought the 2015 Fit Ex before I knew it could be connected to my iPhone 6, a bonus. Am I going to pay $70 to have its weak GPS to the display? No, I just transferred my Garmin GPS to the windshield. It cost me about $200 several years ago and I'm not going to throw it away.

Car & Driver has an article in the Sept. print issue comparing Apple and Android. Is either perfect? No (page 42).

There is a reason that Honda has limited trim choices. Ease of manufacturing. x number of LXs, y of EXs, z of EX-Ls. No manuals for EX-Ls, no wink mirrors, leather, or heated seats for the "lower" models,

If Android comes to the Fit, it won't be until the 2017 or 2018 MMCs.

In the meantime PhillyFit08 will huff and puff, trying to blow the House of Honda down. How well did that work for the Big Bad Wolf?

Old 08-04-2015, 06:11 PM
It's laughable to think Honda cares what it's engineers think... Accountants have had control of the company for a long time now. It's disappointing as a whole industry that nobody has figured out how to integrate mobile tech with ICE systems yet. Knowing that, Honda specifically marketed the fit as a tech enabled package that would eventually support android auto and car play, two upcoming technologies that represent a hope for millions of people to finally have an ICE that is better (since nobody else gets it right, two of the largest tech companies with years of ui design experience). To bait and switch those customers is bad business on the part of Honda. If anybody else did the same thing in any other industry you wouldn't hear the end of it. Personally I bought this car expecting very little. Good gas mileage. Reliability. And since I knew it would be incredibly slow, all sorts of tech stuff. So far the only one I've gotten is good gas mileage. Quality, reliability, tech, all of it was a massive failure and I'll never purchase another Honda again. Nobody in my family, friends, or workplace will either. It was that bad. Unfortunately I am stuck with this car for a while, so Ive been looking the other way as much as possible as this piece of junk falls apart around me.

Old 08-04-2015, 07:38 PM
5 Year Member
Please let us not beat up Philly too badly. Honda did have a demo car ready with AA, so it's not really a pipe dream. AA is just not ready for prime time. While Android carries on, there is actually very little released for Android Auto as yet. The guy can hope, can's he?

I don't think his intent was to force Honda to do anything but to bring Honda to account. Honda signed up for AA 2 years ago, there was a released working demo, they committed to a date, and now they are reneging, all without any explanation. The least we should expect is an explanation of why there is a delay. It is possible that Google's code is not quite stable yet, and Honda and other manufacturers are therefore hesitant to use it. While it is very simple for Google to change their Android API and release it, it is not so easy for auto manufacturers to follow suit.

I'm not sure that Honda or any other auto manufacturer wants to give up control of their entertainment system. It an important part of the car's UI and something customers could loudly complain about. Toyota and Ford are going Applink, which is available for both iphone and Android. Ford, btw, has also committed to Android Auto. At least with Applink Toyota and Ford can have some control. Who is on which team, is hard to say.

What is easy to see, is that there is confusion in the marketplace, and we buy cars to keep for 11.3 years. These two facts simply cannot coexist. I might just install a cassette player/AM/FM radio and be done with it. Back to simpler days, when things just worked.

Old 08-04-2015, 08:27 PM
No shit. And putting out a bug filled system will lose revenue. No matter how many people want a certain tech, it won't be implemented by Honda if it can't be done with a certain percentage of reliability. You can bank on that.
*cough* i drive *cough*

Old 08-04-2015, 11:59 PM
5 Year Member
*cough* MyFordTouch *cough*

Old 08-05-2015, 03:41 AM
Originally Posted by KentFinn
I've been following this thread with some degree of amusement. I bought the 2015 Fit Ex before I knew it could be connected to my iPhone 6, a bonus. Am I going to pay $70 to have its weak GPS to the display? No, I just transferred my Garmin GPS to the windshield. It cost me about $200 several years ago and I'm not going to throw it away.

In the meantime PhillyFit08 will huff and puff, trying to blow the House of Honda down. How well did that work for the Big Bad Wolf?

It has been fun... I have a Nuvi 50 I put on the dash sometimes but mostly for road trips out of state. Still enjoy using the atlas most of all. My son reads the maps and figures out the routes old school like. This thread shows a lot about how people rely a little too much on technology. IMO.

Old 08-05-2015, 10:54 AM
5 Year Member
BMW, Audi and Mercedes buys Nokia's maps business

BMW, Audi and Mercedes just bought Nokia's maps business. Not only does Nokia supply the German auto makers with their maps, but it also supplies Amazon, Yahoo and Baidu, China's largest search engine. Google is banned from China. Nokia had bought NavTeq in 2008.

TomTom, from the Netherlands, is partnering with Bosch, in order to rival the German auto makers.

Android has stiff competition throughout the world. The Germans are not going to allow Google to take over their business, and I suspect that the Japanese manufacturers will also defend against Google. At stake is the autonomous car capability, which is heavily dependent on maps. Car manufacturers that give in to Google will have to dig themselves out of a hole if they hope to do autonomous cars. A dependency on Google would hurt them. Google is banned from China, the largest and fastest growing auto market.

Android Auto is far from a sure thing. We need to wait and see how this plays out.

Old 08-09-2015, 06:15 AM
5 Year Member
Honda's next entry level econobox subcompact better have facebook messenger instead of a speedometer, Google instead of a rear view mirror and run on bitcoins instead of gasoline or else I'll never buy one of their products ever again. How dare they design a bottom of the market priced car manufactured in Mexico and not include all the technology you would find in a Lexus?

Old 08-09-2015, 10:19 AM
5 Year Member
Smile Whoa

Originally Posted by MTLian
Honda's next entry level econobox subcompact better have facebook messenger instead of a speedometer, Google instead of a rear view mirror and run on bitcoins instead of gasoline or else I'll never buy one of their products ever again. How dare they design a bottom of the market priced car manufactured in Mexico and not include all the technology you would find in a Lexus?

Extreme, severe, excessive sarcasm duly noted. If Catholic, say 5 "Hail, Mary"s and do an act of contrition. RRBG

Quick Reply: Honda you have until September to add Android Auto