3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Honda you have until September to add Android Auto

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 11:21 AM
Originally Posted by KentFinn
Stuck on schoolyard insults? That doesn't say much for your temperament, mind or intelligence. I'm trying to keep it civil here, so let's drop it.
Are you? Really? If I remember correctly it was you who spoke out of turn and began the insults. Who's intelligence, temperament and mind are we speaking about now? Feel free to drop it any time.

Old 05-05-2017, 03:54 PM
As the starter of this thread, I just wanted to revisit it. I commute 100+ miles a day. Since I switched from Honda to VW, I am loving my Android Auto. It really makes the commute 20x better.

Although I do get reminiscent of my old Hondas that I have had throughout the years, I do not regret my decision from switching because of Honda's unwillingness to give consumers what they want/need.

I am really sorry to see that they STILL have not added it to the Fit but it makes me realize that I made the right decision. Do not buy a Fit without Android Auto. Vote with your money.

*I will be buying new car in about 4 more years. If the Honda Fit does finally get this feature, I would gladly switch back

Old 05-05-2017, 06:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by madvillain
Are you? Really? If I remember correctly it was you who spoke out of turn and began the insults. Who's intelligence, temperament and mind are we speaking about now? Feel free to drop it any time.
You must have a really vivid imagination and/or a really bad memory, not my style, at least not since I passed 60 years of age. I've had the Fit since 5/2/15 and joined this forum immediately there after, so feel free to search through all my posts then quote them back to me here. At 76 I'll admit to a faulty memory.

519 at this point, have fun. BTW, this is an open forum, there is no such thing as "out of turn". 1st Amendment and all that.

Last edited by KentFinn; 05-05-2017 at 07:17 PM.
Old 05-05-2017, 06:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by phillyfit08
As the starter of this thread, I just wanted to revisit it. I commute 100+ miles a day. Since I switched from Honda to VW, I am loving my Android Auto. It really makes the commute 20x better.

Although I do get reminiscent of my old Hondas that I have had throughout the years, I do not regret my decision from switching because of Honda's unwillingness to give consumers what they want/need.

I am really sorry to see that they STILL have not added it to the Fit but it makes me realize that I made the right decision. Do not buy a Fit without Android Auto. Vote with your money.

*I will be buying new car in about 4 more years. If the Honda Fit does finally get this feature, I would gladly switch back
Still beating dead horses? Requests get better results than demands.

Old 05-05-2017, 07:15 PM
5 Year Member
What does Android auto do that makes commute that much better?

My commute still end with me having to go to work, so nothing makes that better...

Old 05-05-2017, 08:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by phillyfit08
Do not buy a Fit without Android Auto. Vote with your money.
So You're saying I shouldn't buy a car because it doesn't come with a feature you want that I couldn't care less about? I don't see that happening.

Maybe it would be better to focus on actually driving. I've seen too many brothers and sisters killed or maimed by "drivers" who couldn't tear themselves away from their pretty toys when they should have been focused on driving..

Last edited by Uncle Gary; 05-05-2017 at 08:07 PM.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
What does Android auto do that makes commute that much better?

My commute still end with me having to go to work, so nothing makes that better...

Old 05-06-2017, 08:24 AM
5 Year Member
I suppose each his own. Your priorities are key to buying your car, but for me AA was not even in the top 10 criteria. Do you rate suspension and handling lower than AA? Fuel efficiency? Ability to take home a washing machine in your trunk?

AA, Android, CarPlay et al all progress at their own pace, independent of when you wish to buy a vehicle. None will be perfect and all are flawed until bug fixed. Up until the next bug is detected.

While Google and Apple are on the top of its game right now, progress dictates that there are many competitors in the head unit infotainment area. Honda and other car manufacturers are looking to go another direction, and that's Ok by me.

Tesla, for example, is using a Linux variant and not either AA or CarPlay. They roll their own, but based on the Linux family. I think many more car manufacturers will go this way.

Dependence on one or two manufacturers becomes an oligopoly, and tends to slow down progress. More competition, though seemingly wasteful and time consuming, will breed better solutions. The car infotainment space is still in its infancy, so there is a long way to go. The field of infotainment systems and distracted driving is slowly evolving, so there is no one solution to this.

Old 05-22-2017, 10:41 AM
Seems unlikely that the Honda Fit will see Android Auto use in 2017 models, though there is always a chance that Honda will patch the usage in as Ford has just done with 2016+ models using Fordsync (or whatever it is called).

So my question is this- what does the OEM touch screen do that I may lose by installing an aftermarket model? I know that there's a backup camera, which many aftermarket head units now come with.

There's also the right side mirror camera that some Fit models come with. What else?

I'm strongly considering buying a 2015+ Honda Fit and this is a pretty big issue to me.

Old 05-22-2017, 01:08 PM
5 Year Member
For all those who are hot and bothered about Android Auto, have any of you tried the AA on your phone? It's a free app and can then retain everything on the stock head unit.

I've played w/ it a little and it looks like it can do voice commands for playing music (Pandora & Amazon Music), sending texts, calling phones and navigating using google maps.

Old 05-22-2017, 01:47 PM
5 Year Member
There are two basic Fit models: The LX and EX.

The LX has a 5.5 non-touch screen. Environmental controls are below the head unit. In a head unit replacement you would lose the backup camera, Lanewatch side camera where applicable, and steering wheel controls. Your new radio should integrate steering wheel controls.

The EX has additional displays built into the head unit, such as fuel economy numbers, as well as the environmental controls. Search for the 2016 Honda Fit user manual and read up on the head unit display.

If AA is really important to you you might consider a different car such as a Mazda3, VW, etc. Also research how 2017 Honda Civic and Accord owners are doing with their AA. There are some issues still to be debugged. I don't see Honda making AA a priority. They are working on retaining their own software and thus, control.

From a Civic forum:
The car also has apps for when you are not using Android Auto. There is an exposed UI to install a new app, but no store and no apparent way to just install an arbitrary APK. (Though people are working to find a way.) So far, those apps are an all Honda show and no sign of any way to update beside, hopefully, an update or two from Honda for bug fixes. There is also no sign that these update(s), when and if they come, will get in the car any way besides a dealer visit. The head unit itself runs Android, though heavily adapted to the auto environment. The odds it will ever see an Android version update are probably pretty close to zero.
http://www.civicx.com/threads/androi...53/#post-33438

Last edited by TorontoBoy; 05-22-2017 at 01:56 PM.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:47 AM
That's an interesting response. I don't care what apps Honda may or may not make for Android Auto. The OEM side of the equation is the least important part besides base functionality and given how anemic HondaLink is I would expect them to be quite shitty.

Which is the entire point. To get Honda's software as far away as possible. Why would an AA user really care if the head unit upgraded to a more recent version of android- I'm using my phone's updated software! To quote the exact same poster you quoted:

Android Auto is a technology to let your phone do all the work and use the car's systems for the human interface. So the apps you use in Android Auto are all apps on your phone. So they are obtained and updated like other phone apps.
As for whether Honda is making AA a priority... they've put it on their top 3 selling vehicles (Civic, Accord, CR-V) in 2017. Seems to be at odds with what you're saying.

Old 05-23-2017, 09:10 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Ashrik
...The OEM side of the equation is the least important part besides base functionality and given how anemic HondaLink is I would expect them to be quite shitty...

As for whether Honda is making AA a priority... they've put it on their top 3 selling vehicles (Civic, Accord, CR-V) in 2017. Seems to be at odds with what you're saying.
You should care about Honda's side as well, because it will be the weakest link in the AA chain. All software has bugs and need enhancements. There is seemingly no upgrade path for Honda as yet. There will be a future AA upgrade that will require car manufacturer AA software to change, this is certain.

AA and CarPlay are important to buyers, so all car manufacturers need to add AA to be competitive. That does not say they are interested in doing a great job of it. Car manufacturers do not want to give up their infotainment centers to Google or Apple, and are fighting hard against them, all while wanting to look like they are cooperating. Infotainment centers are critical for car manufacturers. The fight is only beginning. Early days means a lot of teething issues. but don't think that car manufacturers welcome AA or CarPlay.

Old 05-23-2017, 09:36 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Ashrik
That's an interesting response. I don't care what apps Honda may or may not make for Android Auto. The OEM side of the equation is the least important part besides base functionality and given how anemic HondaLink is I would expect them to be quite shitty.

Which is the entire point. To get Honda's software as far away as possible. Why would an AA user really care if the head unit upgraded to a more recent version of android- I'm using my phone's updated software! To quote the exact same poster you quoted:

The system is only as good as it's weakest link. Look at what happens w/ Apple products. When they no longer support the OS, the newest and greatest app will not function on that hardware. No surprise as why would a developer write an app to work on old technology? Are the new AA head units "upgradeable"? If so, how often and what's the process?

Personally I'd rather just run AA on my phone. The phone is immensely easier to do a lifecycle replacement and upgrade the OS OTA. My phone screen is nearly the size of the the touchscreen, and it's much more responsive. This is AA on my phone. It's set to start AA as soon as it detects the HandsFreeLink bluetooth connection:

Old 05-23-2017, 11:07 AM
5 Year Member
Funny after writing that, I see this article that Ford can enable AA and Carplay through an OTA upgrade: 2016 Ford Vehicles Get Android Auto, Apple CarPlay Via OTA Updates : TECH : Tech Times

Old 05-23-2017, 04:59 PM
5 Year Member
Got no dog in this fight....my dumb phone and iPod work fine over Bluetooth, and I have a Garmin....works well enough for this old man...

Old 05-23-2017, 07:41 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fuelish
Got no dog in this fight....my dumb phone and iPod work fine over Bluetooth, and I have a Garmin....works well enough for this old man...
You could easily replace 3 devices with one.

Old 05-23-2017, 08:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
You could easily replace 3 devices with one.
And throw away 3 paid for devices? And spend how much for a new phone?

Garmin already paid for, Apple already paid for ... otherwise wasted

Boycott a company because it won't accede to YOUR demands even if it mishandled a preproduction brochure? Whap the salesperson over the head for giving you the brochure (which probable contained a disclaimer about feature/content}.

Old 07-08-2017, 09:11 AM
Update for anyone who may have been interested: 2018 Honda Fit will have Android auto and Apple Carplay because of course

Source: 2018 Honda Fit Gets Fresh: New Styling, New Sport Trim, Added Tech and More Refinement Bring New Attitude - Honda News

Last edited by Ashrik; 07-08-2017 at 09:26 AM.