Android Auto and MirrorLink

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 09:41 PM
Android Auto and MirrorLink

Okay. So not gonna lie I've been surveying every thread and post in this forum and scouting information from Google and Honda theselves to get any information on Android Auto OR figure out how to get HondaLink to JUST. WORK.

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts/experiences are on the two? Here's what I've got

Android Auto

So. Today's discovery was that Android Auto is in fact an app on the Google Play store, capable of being run by any phone running Lollipop (5.0+).

I've heard two things about Android Auto:
1) There is a version that is installed onto head units in place of the OEM and
2) There is a version that runs on your phone and is mirrored to your headunit.

The first seemed to be the most conclusive based on my findings. But after I found the application today and researched how it worked it seems #2 is the real deal, which is best-case-scenario. So my question is, has anyone been able to test this out?

HondaLink

As for HondaLink...I think we all know how terrible of an experience it is for Android. And it's only natural that Honda would not provide support in favor of focusing development on CarPlay/Android Auto products. But has anyone found a way to get their phone mirrored?

Currently I'm rocking a Sammy Galaxy Note Edge (AT&T) and my experience has been extremely underwhelming. When I hook it up via USB it constantly enables MirrorLink BUT IT DOESN'T DO ANYTHING. It's so frustrating. I have to unplug and replug it and open apps and keep my finger on the screen just to trick it and keep it from activating.

Again thoughts and experiences are welcome! In the meantime...I'm gonna go install some LED's and see what I can do with HondaLink...

Old 03-29-2015, 08:29 AM
5 Year Member
MirrorLink (Nokia/Connected Car Consortium), CarPlay (Apple), and Android Auto (Google/Open Automotive Alliance), are three entirely different technologies for integrating smartphones with vehicles. They each consist of applications on the smartphone interfacing with technology-specific middleware running on a vehicle's infotainment operating system software. It is possible for one vehicle to host all three middleware and be compatible with iOS, Android, Windows, and Blackberry phones. MirrorLink can "mirror" apps that are certified/approved by the CCC, either for stationary use or underway ("drive" certification), but CarPlay and Android Auto will have manufacturer/vehicle-specific interfaces provided by the middleware.

Google and Apple did NOT support MirrorLink or become part of the Connected Car Consortium, but chose to go their own way. Both supported Bluetooth HandsFree and Apple went a bit beyond that with Siri Eyes-Free. Google does not support MirrorLink in Android or on its Nexus phones. A few manufacturers tried to implement MirrorLink on a few of their phones; however, there is speculation that in some cases, it was broken or disabled by wireless carrier customizations.

Honda joined the CCC and at least tried to implement MirrorLink in HondaLink. Perhaps due to the extreme fragmentation of the Android ecosystem, where few manufacturers jumped on board the MirrorLink bandwagon, it doesn't reliably work, and they've chosen not to advertise or support it.

Edit to add: AFAIK, the 2015 Fit infotainment system does not have CarPlay or Android Auto middleware. You will need to be running certified MirrorLink 1.1 apps if you want to have any hope of seeing them on your display. MirrorLink 1.0 is not compatible with MirrorLink 1.1.

Last edited by Fitmo; 03-29-2015 at 08:58 AM.
Old 03-30-2015, 08:40 PM
Originally Posted by Fitmo
MirrorLink (Nokia/Connected Car Consortium), CarPlay (Apple), and Android Auto (Google/Open Automotive Alliance), are three entirely different technologies for integrating smartphones with vehicles. They each consist of applications on the smartphone interfacing with technology-specific middleware running on a vehicle's infotainment operating system software. It is possible for one vehicle to host all three middleware and be compatible with iOS, Android, Windows, and Blackberry phones. MirrorLink can "mirror" apps that are certified/approved by the CCC, either for stationary use or underway ("drive" certification), but CarPlay and Android Auto will have manufacturer/vehicle-specific interfaces provided by the middleware.

Google and Apple did NOT support MirrorLink or become part of the Connected Car Consortium, but chose to go their own way. Both supported Bluetooth HandsFree and Apple went a bit beyond that with Siri Eyes-Free. Google does not support MirrorLink in Android or on its Nexus phones. A few manufacturers tried to implement MirrorLink on a few of their phones; however, there is speculation that in some cases, it was broken or disabled by wireless carrier customizations.

Honda joined the CCC and at least tried to implement MirrorLink in HondaLink. Perhaps due to the extreme fragmentation of the Android ecosystem, where few manufacturers jumped on board the MirrorLink bandwagon, it doesn't reliably work, and they've chosen not to advertise or support it.

Edit to add: AFAIK, the 2015 Fit infotainment system does not have CarPlay or Android Auto middleware. You will need to be running certified MirrorLink 1.1 apps if you want to have any hope of seeing them on your display. MirrorLink 1.0 is not compatible with MirrorLink 1.1.
The biggest problem I'm already having is getting any apps to show up on the display, including those approved by the CCC.

I understand how they work, but I've found hope in a video that's been floating around on a couple of the threads here in addition to the recent Honda demos that appear to be running the same Next Gen unit in the Fits.

It sucks that you can't easily tell what apps have MirrorLink 1.0 or 1.1 unless specified by the developer. They don't make it easy. But as you've made clear, it's not really worth messing with due to the lack of support. It's entertaining reading threads from a year ago and seeing everyone excited about the HonaLink app that was supposed to have full support by the end of 2014. Obviously that fell tremendously short.

I've sort of alreay had the resolve to just replace the infotainment system with an aftermarket one capable of running Car Play and Android Auto. I'll wait a little longer to see what happens, but I can't stand looking at the system anymore. Being a UI designer/developer, I cringe everytime I start my engine and the screen comes on. But I love my music. I neeeed my mysic (and pretty).

Oh. And Google Maps.