3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2017 Fit 1.5L 6MT lots of problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 03:34 PM
avw
2017 Fit 1.5L 6MT lots of problems

Hello, I have leased a 2017 Fit EX 6-speed manual. Has about 2,500 miles on it so far. It's overall been a good car but has many flaws.

1. The clutch is very noisy when being used. Best case scenario it's just a throw-out bearing, worst case scenario the clutch is knackered... sometimes it engages oddly too. You add revs, release the clutch to the engagement point, and the clutch makes/feels this clattering sound and it doesn't quite get the car rolling as smooth as you like.
2. It has a hard time engaging first gear sometimes while at a traffic light - some days are better than others. I've tried to re-depress the clutch but it still doesn't work sometimes. I've also tried to select 2nd then 1st (or even 3rd to 2nd to 1st) but it still won't budge sometimes. I've tried also slowly releasing the clutch while pressing against 1st gear and this also doesn't work. What you can do is clutch out/neutral while coasting to a stop, then as soon as you slow down to 1-1.5MPH, clutch-in and 1st gear. But even this sometimes doesn't work.
3. Sometimes, when accelerating from 1st to 2nd, if you push the clutch in, it will pop out of first by its own. Maybe this is caused by problem #1, maybe the clutch didn't engage it properly the first time? Also 1st gear is REALLY tough to engage sometimes... and when you do, you can sort of feel it going against the synchro and it really makes you wanna cringe.
4. The car has a burning smell (much like burning oil) going over 80MPH when the RPM's are 4,000 or more. Or even at 3,500RPM on an incline. Whenever the motor works slightly harder than normal, it produces the burnt oil smell. I've checked the oil and it's level and looks fine.
5. This might be normal, but the A/C robs a LOT of power from the 130hp engine. If you're in a parking lot driving in 1st gear, and turn the fan on, the car will jerk as if you are tapping the throttle repeatedly.

I've driven many Honda's, Fit's included, and none of them had these aforementioned issues.

I have an appointment to take it to the dealer on Monday.

Old 07-08-2017, 03:46 PM
5 Year Member
Clutch throw out bearing is my guess, and/or a failed clutch master or slave cylinder. At least it's all under warranty.

Old 07-08-2017, 05:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Alco RS-1
Clutch throw out bearing is my guess, and/or a failed clutch master or slave cylinder. At least it's all under warranty.
That it's under warranty would also have been my response. Investigate your local dealers for the best. I'm lucky that my dealer also has great service reviews (including my own).

Old 07-08-2017, 06:08 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
yah, sounds like a bad TO bearing as alco noted.

also, shifting into first (or reverse for that matter) at a complete stop can be stubborn on any MT car. wat i do is while youre rolling up to your stop (under 5mph), just clutch-in, shift into 1st gate without clutching out and just brake to a complete stop, shift into neutral, and then clutch out.

ur fork inside the shifter is now aligned to the collar for when the light turns green ur shifter lever will slide into 1st each time without a fuss. ive had this issue on all MT cars ive owned (over 20 MT cars i bought new) so i just do the little trick above. been driving MT cars for decades.

Old 07-08-2017, 09:42 PM
5 Year Member
I don't shift into first unless below 5mph, otherwise blip the throttle with a double clutch to spin up the transmission to match forward speed for a smooth engagement.

Old 07-09-2017, 09:40 PM
Regarding issue 4, you might wanna check if anything is wrapped on the exhaust pipes.

Mine got serious burning smell once, and my friends all scared the sh!t out of me by telling me several horrible possibilities..turned out it was just a plastic bag were wrapped on the exhaust pipe...almost completely burned out.