3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

So Far - Wow!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 09:58 PM
So Far - Wow!!

I've been lurking in these pages for several weeks, and I decided to take the plunge last week by purchasing a 2015 Honda Fit LX (Canadian version) 6MT.

Initial thoughts:

- LOVE the manual transmission! Up until our last new car purchase (a 2013 Santa Fe), we had only ever owned standards. I figured I'd buy another one new while I still can - I figure they'll be gone within a few years (heck - they're almost gone now!). The engine revs high, for sure, but I think it adds to the fun of driving the Fit. Very sporty and agile, and the 6-speed only adds to this dynamic. Plus, I prefer manual trannys in the snow.

- The features and room of this Fit are as incredible as described, especially for the price point. It is a second car for us, mostly scooting around town and my commuting, but it will be extremely useful.

- I'm really looking forward to seeing how well the fuel economy runs. It's way too early for me to know - I only have ~60 km on the trip odo, it is saying 6.0 L/100 km (39 MPG), and the fuel gauge hasn't moved from full (all city driving). Some folks on here have reported amazing mileage, so hopefully mine is similar. The traded car (2009 Elantra Touring) wasn't that great on gas, especially for its size and class.

- I had to get white, a colour of car I've never owned. I prefer blue. The dealer explained (as has been mentioned here) about how the 2015 Fit production has been scaled back in favour of the H-RV line, so Fits are hard to come by. He only had black and white on the lot (white only in LX 6MT), and they searched the three Maritime provinces for blue - none of that colour anywhere except for higher trim levels. I will say, the white has grown on me - it looks very clean. Still, I'd love to get a splash of colour, so I may eventually search out a blue Honda emblem for the grill (or, if I'm brave, maybe I'll try plasti-dipping the emblem!).

- Disappointed that there is no external temperature gauge on the LX 6MT. It is installed on the LX CVT. An oddity that only affects the Canadian market, apparently. Also, it's trivial, but I hate when automakers don't install variable intermittent wipers - it always strikes me as an overly cheap move.

- It's great to be back in a Honda. Over the past twenty years we've bounced between Toyota, Hyundai and Honda. I was very loyal to Toyota for a few cars, but my 2009 Civic changed my mind. We traded that for our current family hauler (the Santa Fe) and I've missed it ever since. Hyundai has come a long way, but we found the Touring didn't hold up well over time. Initial quality was outstanding, which is what persuaded us to buy the Santa Fe, but the Touring has seemed to fall apart over the past year. A shame.

Thank you for all the helpful comments, tips and suggestions on this forum!

Old 08-11-2015, 07:15 AM
Welcome, it's good to hear you're enjoying your Fit so far. It certainly is a fun and versatile little car.

Old 08-11-2015, 09:35 AM
5 Year Member
Welcome.

I had to get white, as well, since none of the other colors did anything for me. I'm really liking the white. Except for bugs, it stays very clean looking in the summer months. A quick wipe of the nose with a damp microfiber towel for the bugs, and the car looks great. I haven't washed it in three weeks, either.

Old 08-12-2015, 09:40 PM
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
Welcome.

I had to get white, as well, since none of the other colors did anything for me. I'm really liking the white. Except for bugs, it stays very clean looking in the summer months. A quick wipe of the nose with a damp microfiber towel for the bugs, and the car looks great. I haven't washed it in three weeks, either.

The winter will tell the real story re: cleanliness, I suppose. Even today, it rained and the lip of the hatch seems to collect some grey road dirt or something - had to wipe it down when it dried up.

First big road test tomorrow - driving ~500 km (~300 miles) on a day trip, along a winding coastal road. Looking forward to it!

Old 08-13-2015, 09:55 AM
Congrats. It's the little car on the outside that's big on the inside.

And Toyotas have turned into garbage. We had a 4 cylinder Camry where the engine let go 2 weeks after the warranty. Despicable.

Old 08-13-2015, 09:28 PM
Originally Posted by Fit_as_a_butchers_dog
Congrats. It's the little car on the outside that's big on the inside.

And Toyotas have turned into garbage. We had a 4 cylinder Camry where the engine let go 2 weeks after the warranty. Despicable.

The last Toyota I drove was a 2006 Corolla. I liked the car. Don't get me wrong - it was as vanilla a car as you can buy, but practical and reliable. We traded that for the 2009 Touring, which was traded in for this Fit.

I've also heard from a couple other people that Toyota has developed quality problems. For me, it just seemed that Toyota became a bit too smug for a while: they offered very basic base models at noncompetitive prices, while at the same time Hyundai was throwing deluxe-level features in their base vehicles. Too bad, but Honda is there to easily fill their shoes!

Our road trip mileage was exceptional: to date, we've driven 553 km (344 miles) on this tank, and I still have a full quarter tank of gas left. The computer is suggesting an overall economy of 5.2 L/100 km = 45 MPG. On one leg of our journey I had the computer reading down to 4.7 L/100 km = 50 MPG. I'll easily get 600 km+ out of this tank (although I'll probably fuel up soon - I tend to fill up at around a quarter). Amazing!

Old 08-15-2015, 07:27 PM
5 Year Member
I waited about 5 weeks for a blue EX 6MT... Main problem is I like it too much... way too scared to get a door chip or scratch... it's too pretty.. I hate parking it in any parking lot!

Still haven't had the "oh, what have you done" moment. yet.

Complaints are few. Yes.. intermittent wipers with no settings??? really???

I think 5th gear is useless... I almost always go 4th to 6th...

Pretty minor complaints!

Old 08-16-2015, 10:40 AM
Originally Posted by robs
I waited about 5 weeks for a blue EX 6MT... Main problem is I like it too much... way too scared to get a door chip or scratch... it's too pretty.. I hate parking it in any parking lot!

Still haven't had the "oh, what have you done" moment. yet.

Complaints are few. Yes.. intermittent wipers with no settings??? really???

I think 5th gear is useless... I almost always go 4th to 6th...

Pretty minor complaints!

Nice! My dealer said a 2015 blue wasn't to be found. I could have waited for the release of the 2016s for a blue, but he wasn't entirely sure when they'd arrive. Fall at the earliest, and possibly into early winter. I wasn't willing or able to wait that long (our traded car needed work that I didn't want to pay for!).

I find myself travelling in 5th when I'm doing between 60-70 km/h, but I shift to 6th by the time I hit 80 km/h. In mph, let's say 35-45 in 5th, 50+ mph in 6th. I find 6th lugs a bit on hills if I'm only going around 50 mph, so I'll shift down to 5th. 6th is fine on the highway.

Interesting fuel note: we had amazing mileage with the first tank, and the fuel guage didn't budge for the first 150 km, which was mostly city driving before our road trip. On this second tank, I'm down two bars already with only 70 km on the trip odo. Odd. I wonder if the dealer overfilled the tank or something. When I fill up, when the pump stops that is where I stay (I don't "top up").

Old 08-16-2015, 06:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by robs
I waited about 5 weeks for a blue EX 6MT... Main problem is I like it too much... way too scared to get a door chip or scratch... it's too pretty.. I hate parking it in any parking lot

I like my white Fit too much, too. I park it in the overflow lot across the street where I work, hoping to delay the inevitable door ding as long as possible.

In a way it's too bad that I like the car, because it makes the quality issues with mine that much more infuriating.

Old 08-19-2015, 09:45 PM
This car will almost last forever

Old 08-20-2015, 07:19 AM
5 Year Member
In a way it's too bad that I like the car, because it makes the quality issues with mine that much more infuriating.
+10000!

My car is going in today to get the front drivers side glass and rear passenger wheel liner replaced under warranty. Also having them look at (AGAIN!) the front bumper misalignment.

Old 08-20-2015, 09:57 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
+10000!

My car is going in today to get the front drivers side glass and rear passenger wheel liner replaced under warranty. Also having them look at (AGAIN!) the front bumper misalignment.
I also have issues with the front bumper misalignment (which wasn't there when I bought the car-it has developed over time) and real wheel well liners, also the interior trim pieces on the left side of the dash don't line up properly. So far, the dealer basically says, "that's the best we can do, we can't fix it." Every time they try and fail, it's time lost from work for me.

I bought this car under the (turning out to be) naïve assumption that any issues that developed would be fixed under the warranty. I'm finding out that all that means is that the dealer will try replacing defective parts with new, equally defective parts.

Old 08-20-2015, 10:33 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
right. i was taking a few snaps yesterday of my PDR work on the roof and noticed how off the rear door's top line was vs the front door.

i just pretended i didnt see that, didnt even mention it to my wife. these mexican fits are pretty different from my made in japan GE for sure.
i just went on with my business.

Old 08-20-2015, 01:13 PM
5 Year Member
I also have issues with the front bumper misalignment (which wasn't there when I bought the car-it has developed over time) and real wheel well liners, also the interior trim pieces on the left side of the dash don't line up properly. So far, the dealer basically says, "that's the best we can do, we can't fix it." Every time they try and fail, it's time lost from work for me.

I bought this car under the (turning out to be) naïve assumption that any issues that developed would be fixed under the warranty. I'm finding out that all that means is that the dealer will try replacing defective parts with new, equally defective parts.
My wife took the car in for me to get the warranty work done. They made it out like they had no idea there was any warranty work that was supposed to be done. Good thing I gave her the paperwork that said specifically that they had ordered new parts for the warranty work.I also called yesterday to confirm that the parts had arrived. She also brought up the bumper issue and service guy said they are made of plastic so they all wouldn't be perfect. Suffice it to say, she was not happy with the experience and neither am I.

This is a commuter car for me, so it does that well with getting good gas mileage. I have to say the quality control is rather poor though. I hope the running gear is better put together or I'll be getting rid of this car sooner than I have planned. If this is the level of service I should look forward to, then I know what car company I WON'T be dealing with to replace my 4Runner.

Pohanka Honda of Fredericksburg =

Old 08-21-2015, 07:16 PM
Originally Posted by macdon9876
Interesting fuel note: we had amazing mileage with the first tank, and the fuel guage didn't budge for the first 150 km, which was mostly city driving before our road trip. On this second tank, I'm down two bars already with only 70 km on the trip odo. Odd. I wonder if the dealer overfilled the tank or something. When I fill up, when the pump stops that is where I stay (I don't "top up").

Sorry to hear about the quality issues others have been mentioning. A friend has a 2011 Fit, and she has had nothing but problems with it, which made me think twice before buying my own. However, after reading the overwhelmingly positive comments about the Fits on this site and elsewhere, I decided to go for it, figuring she must have bought a "Monday morning car" so to speak. You'd expect better from Honda, regardless.

The fuel issue was fine. I still think the gauge went down faster than it should have. I'm the type of person who likes to fill up at around a quarter, but I left this one until three bars, with 433.8 km on the trip odo (269 miles). The pump clicked off at 28.8 L and I averaged 6.6 L/100km (7.6 gallons, 35.6 MPG), and this tank was almost all city driving. So far, in the 6MT, I'm beating the fuel economy ratings by a lot. Hope it stays that way!!