3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Cheap plastic trunk hatch release

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 08:37 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GeorgeL
The hatch handle (or "trim" as the manufacturer calls it) was also a major issue with some Scions, to the point where Toyota did a TSB 8 years after the car came out.

Once I learned that the handle was fragile, I made a handle out of 1/8 aluminum strip attached to the license plate screws. I pull on that, not the hatch handle.

The same solution might be a good idea for a Fit. We can argue all day long about the flimsy piece, but Honda won't do a thing about it.
I guess I'm growing weary of being expected to fix the design issues in a new car. I do enough of this for a living.

Old 08-27-2015, 08:55 AM
5 Year Member
Is this a problem for the LX and the EX? festiboi showed a photo of an LX, brunes used a publicly available web image so that trim line is unknown for the original report. I inspected my EX hatch handle and it seems reasonably sturdy.

Old 08-27-2015, 09:37 AM
Originally Posted by Press Fit
Is this a problem for the LX and the EX? festiboi showed a photo of an LX, brunes used a publicly available web image so that trim line is unknown for the original report. I inspected my EX hatch handle and it seems reasonably sturdy.
I'd imagine it's the same issue with both the LX and EX, as it's probably the exact same part and design. It's just that the EX is prettied up with some fake chrome

Old 08-27-2015, 10:35 PM
tju

The fragile piece is the trim, not the actual handles provided for opening and closing the hatch. The release/handle for opening is under the trim piece and it is solid enough. The handle/fingerhold for closing is on the bottom of the hatch (where the latch mechanism is and not visible when the hatch is open) and it is also solid. If one is not aware of the proper handles, it gets broken because it seems intuitive to push/pull on the trim since it resembles a big handle, but it is decorative only. Even when aware of the closing handle, it's placement makes for a bit of an odd swing of the arm which takes a little getting used to, and until you do sometimes the hatch does not quite close and needs an extra push to catch the latch and again the trim seems a natural place to push... Once you get the hang of it it's not really a problem, but you do have to warn others new to using the hatch. I might GeorgeL's suggestion of a handle, especially if I come up with something interesting I could repurpose or fabricate...

Old 08-28-2015, 02:33 PM
5 Year Member
As it relates to this trim piece, how does one unlock the hatch door on an LX? On an EX the presence of the smart key enables the button under the trim piece to unlock the hatch when pressed.

Old 08-28-2015, 08:02 PM
tju
As it relates to this trim piece, how does one unlock the hatch door on an LX? On an EX the presence of the smart key enables the button under the trim piece to unlock the hatch when pressed.

Double clicking the unlock button on the key or drivers side armrest unlocks the hatch and all other doors on the lx.

My comment that the trim is decorative only was not quite accurate, although it is not structurally sound enough to use as a handle, it does serve as a "roof" to protect the rear view camera, license plate lights and hatch release from the weather.

Old 09-08-2015, 08:17 PM
5 Year Member
My friend did me a favor and grabbed the plastic siding instead of the actual handle. Now I don't have to worry about those side cracks as in other's experience. Will leave as is. This plastic piece is very brittle.

Old 09-08-2015, 08:42 PM
5 Year Member
Is it an LX issue or are the chrome ones on the EX and up also having this issue?

Old 09-08-2015, 09:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CommanderSlug
My friend did me a favor and grabbed the plastic siding instead of the actual handle. Now I don't have to worry about those side cracks as in other's experience. Will leave as is. This plastic piece is very brittle.

I love my friends but they would pay to fix that...and I wouldn't have to ask.

Old 09-08-2015, 10:29 PM
5 Year Member
What is that part even called? I can't find it anywhere in Honda's parts e-store. I found the tailgate, but that particular piece isn't called out.

Old 09-09-2015, 12:09 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CommanderSlug
...This plastic piece is very brittle.

Uhhhn. For those that have not cracked them yet, could they remove and glass reinforce the backs? Obviously this garnish does function as a handle but is not built sufficiently strong enough for its function. There is no other handle. How do you remove it? You should be able to use CA glue to repair the crack.

Last edited by TorontoBoy; 09-09-2015 at 12:12 AM.
Old 09-09-2015, 12:16 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by robbbbb
What is that part even called?
This assembly might be it.

Old 09-09-2015, 11:24 AM
I haven't had a problem and use it just about every day. When I open it I put all the pressure on the switch. I don't even touch the trim piece.

Old 02-14-2017, 11:18 AM
5 Year Member
We cracked ours yesterday when my wife got stuck in a snowbank. I had to push the car to get us free, and while doing so the piece just cracked right in the middle. I wonder if it serves a real purpose (other then hiding the light and the handle of the tailgate), for example in the strength of the back window? If it’s just about appearance, I might not change it (particularly if it’s expensive…)

Old 02-14-2017, 12:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by COBEs
This. Use the handle on the bottom of the hatch, it's there for that reason. The other alternative is to close the hatch by pushing on the license plate. But like the chrome strip, you'll dirty your hands.
Same here ....and you don't even have to push until closed.....lower it slowly, and you'll pass a "tipping point" of sorts where it pulls itself closed.

Old 02-14-2017, 05:00 PM
I've thought of wrapping mine, more for aesthetics as I don't like the chrome on yellow, but it should also add quite a bit of strength to an otherwise flimsy piece.

Old 02-14-2017, 11:57 PM
5 Year Member
The tailgate is designed to be lifted without placing any fingers on the trim piece. Weight saving is important.

Old 02-15-2017, 12:02 AM
5 Year Member
Glad I discovered this thread as I've been pressing down using the chrome strip, assuming it was at least durable enough to be closed as part of the hatch. I will cease and desist.

Plastic can be made to be very durable. Kind of ridiculous if Honda didn't even quality control to the point of testing the durability of that piece of trim.

Honda should assume that people are going to close their hatch by pressing down on the center of that trim. And IMO there is no reason that trim part shouldn't be re-enforced or strong enough to handle that type of usage. Can't beleive it would cost Honda much to increase the strength of that piece. Sure would make owners happier.

Old 02-15-2017, 12:03 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wasserball
The tailgate is designed to be lifted without placing any fingers on the trim piece. Weight saving is important.
Phht...give me an extra 15 ounces..and just make the piece strong enough to be used.
There is no excuse for it being brittle and so easily broken.

Old 02-17-2017, 12:41 PM
5 Year Member
Is it possible the design has been changed for my2017? Mine has a 90 degree bend supporting the plastic chrome strip so that even if you put pressure on it, it supports itself against the car. The only place to put your fingers underneath it are where the release buttons are. I've attached a couple pics, but its admittedly not easy to see the bend I'm talking about.

DaveGee

Attached Thumbnails Cheap plastic trunk hatch release-img_0218.jpg   Cheap plastic trunk hatch release-img_0219.jpg  

Quick Reply: Cheap plastic trunk hatch release