3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Manual Transmission: expect less to be made in 2016

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 08:10 PM
5 Year Member
Manual Transmission: expect less to be made in 2016

Hey Guys and Gals,

So I wanted to share some information with you in regards to 6 speed Fits. We are unofficially expecting a lower production of Fits with the manual option for the following reasons:

1. The majority of 2015 Fits still in dealer lots, specifically in my region, have the 6 Speed.

2. Only 4% of all vehicles sold last year had a manual transmission

3. While it may not show in the Honda website, we have heard that not every color in the LX and EX will be made with available with the 6 Speed. It will follow a similar pattern to the Honda Accord, where manuals will only be available in a few colors (Modern Steel and Black in the Accord's case)

As we all know too well, while the majority of us prefer a manual, the yield rate just keeps decreasing each year. Im glad Honda still offer so many models with a manual, but I can understand, from a business stand point, why the change.

Its like the Civic. 99% of customers who come in looking for a Civic with a manual are specifically looking for an Si. Civic LX and EX are produced in very small numbers.

This is just an FYI if you find it difficult finding any 2016s with a manual transmission.

Old 10-12-2015, 08:42 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the heads up.

Here in Canada my wait for a 2016 6MT is up to 8 weeks for one "on rail", and Jan 2016 (up to 4 months) for an order.

It need not be this way. Merge the US and Canadian options to be the same, making manufacturing so much easier. Do this for enough countries. The Fit is an international car, so be more international.

FYI If you could ship your unwanted 2015 6MTs north, Canada will take them. While the FFs here love the 6MT, the reality is that for Canada/US, the manual shift will be a quaint footnote of automotive history. I'm moving to Uruguay.

Last edited by TorontoBoy; 10-12-2015 at 10:57 PM.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:19 PM
I just posted in another thread that autotrader search shows 0 manual 2016 fits right now. the few 2016 fits I've seen have been ex-l autos. this sucks. a 2015 purple manual fit that I had money down on got sold by another dealer that had agreed to trade it to my dealer, so now I'm waiting for a 2016. doesn't sound good.

Old 10-13-2015, 09:22 AM
5 Year Member
About time for a Fit Si, don't you think?

Looking like I may have bought my last new car then. I DO NOT buy automatic transmissions. Not now, not ever.

Last edited by Uncle Gary; 10-13-2015 at 09:24 AM.
Old 10-13-2015, 09:24 AM
5 Year Member
The color limitations are sad, IMO. Honda should AT LEAST change the available (limited colors on MT cars) each year.

And HondaGeek, dealers should take at least partial blame for Honda's perception that "Manuals Don't Sell". While purchasing our last three Hondas, the pressure to 'buy automatic' was intense.

The 6MT ratio fitment is interesting also. I higher-ratio top gear would have benefited both our CR-V and the '15 Fit. The highway mileage would have been better. (Some folks have added a 6th OD ratio to their CR-V just by adding the gear from an Acura TSX, the highway mileage goes up 3 - 5 MPG.) Was there a desire by the Honda marketing folks to enhance the apparent fuel savings of hybrids? We'll never know. I'm sure that the CAFE numbers would have been better with more optimal top ratios.

(Let the flames begin) HeeHee.

Old 10-13-2015, 09:42 AM
Bunch of lazy Americans with their automatics. Who drives the market, Honda or the consumer? One could argue both sides. I agree if Honda offered the same trims for both Canada and US there would be a market shift. If the only color I can get in a manual is a black or dark blue I'll be happy.

Old 10-13-2015, 01:58 PM
It really comes down to the ability to sway consumers from one option to the other. Every stick driver can handle a auto, but most auto drivers can't drive stick. Honda's choice of a short 6th gear holds mileage down on the manual which also makes it less attractive to the populace.

It's a passive-aggressive way to steer the market, but it appears that the stick shift will disappear, probably about five years before the steering wheel disappears too!

Old 10-13-2015, 03:14 PM
Originally Posted by GeorgeL
...Honda's choice of a short 6th gear holds mileage down on the manual which also makes it less attractive to the populace.

It's a passive-aggressive way to steer the market, but it appears that the stick shift will disappear, probably about five years before the steering wheel disappears too!
I've said this on other threads but the FIT never needed a 6th gear, it needed a taller 5th gear. Granted yes its a way to steer the market, and believe it or not I can easily get 40 MPG with my 6MT if I work at it.

When the steering wheel disappears and were all forced to travel that way, I hope to not be around to see that day. haha!

Old 10-13-2015, 03:25 PM
5 Year Member
In the past 6 years I have worked for Acura, Lexus and Honda. It may sound quite unbelievable, but I could probably count on both hands how many customers have specifically asked for a manual.

I agree with GeorgeL that it comes down to the manufacturers swaying consumers from manuals to automatic, which in turn was motivated by the fact that automatics are simply more efficient now and faster.

I love manual transmissions, to the point that I have had two 240sx,two Evo Xs, an RX8, Acura TSX, three Civic Sis and a Honda Fit. They were all manuals.

But there is a reason why Ferrari does not offer manuals anymore. New automatics are simply faster and open up a new buying audience.

If you only knew how many people say," I wish the Civic Si came in automatic".

Dealers sell what the manufacturers make available. Lexus does not offer a single manual car anymore and, even though the sales staff would love for one to be available, its just not. We accepted that fact and moved on to sell what was made available. Similar to how your company may have made changes that perhaps you don't agree with, but you still stayed working for them or looked for a different employer.

While I knew that no one would be happy with this post, my purpose was just to give members a heads up, if a 6 speed Fit was in the plans.

While I don't agree with every decision Honda makes, I still believe they make the best non-luxury car. I mean, isn't this the reason why we are all on FitFreak to begin?

Old 10-13-2015, 03:26 PM
5 Year Member
Wordwide use of Manual Transmission

I know most of this forum is Canada/US-based, but there are others from other parts of the world.

Canada/US: automatic 90%
South America: manual 99%
Australia: automatic 90%
Europe/Britain: manual 70%
Asia: manual
China: 50-50%
Japan: ?
Russia: 50-50%

Worldwide, is the manual transmission in the future really dead when more than half the world's population still prefer manual?

Old 10-13-2015, 03:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TorontoBoy
I know most of this forum is Canada/US-based, but there are others from other parts of the world.

Canada/US: automatic 90%
South America: manual 99%
Australia: automatic 90%
Europe/Britain: manual 70%
Asia: manual
China: 50-50%
Russia: 50-50%

Worldwide, is the manual transmission in the future really dead when more than half the world's population still prefer manual?
It is in America, unfortunately. Just like the NA engine. Sooner rather than later, cars will mainly have small turbo engines and some type of automatic transmission.

Another main contributor is the geography of each region. Having lived in South America, with the high number of mountain roads, manuals make a lot of sense due to the use of engine braking. This simple fact is one reason why in those parts of the world manuals are more available.

The greater majority of America is flat.

Old 10-13-2015, 08:18 PM

?
When I went to Japan two years ago and drove several rental cars, I noticed that almost every car on the road was automatic. Even all the little kei cars; all automatic. The only manuals I noticed, while glancing by parked cars, were small cars built until the early 2000's. I consider Japan to 95% automatic.

I was in South Africa earlier this year for work, and 95% of the cars on the road are manual. Even the Mercedes C250 chauffeur that picked me up at the airport was a manual. All of the rental cars that I rented were, and while walking and glancing in parked cars, all were manual. When I asked some South African work colleagues about this, they said everyone drives a manual. Automatics are solely for the disabled, or the elderly. That gave me a chuckle

Old 10-13-2015, 11:28 PM
Originally Posted by Bassguitarist1985
I've said this on other threads but the FIT never needed a 6th gear, it needed a taller 5th gear. Granted yes its a way to steer the market, and believe it or not I can easily get 40 MPG with my 6MT if I work at it.
I agree. My old 510 did fine with four, and the cruise RPM was the same as a Fit in 6th. Modern engines have wider powerbands, so why does it need 6? Marketing!

Originally Posted by Bassguitarist1985
When the steering wheel disappears and were all forced to travel that way, I hope to not be around to see that day. haha!
Well, it will be interesting, not controlling the car. I hate to lose that feeling, but at the same time the increased efficiency, speed and safety is attractive.

Driving might end up like sailing, something done for recreation, unencumbered by modern technology (except for GPS, radar, chartplotter, weatherfax, autohelm, etc.).

Old 10-14-2015, 08:13 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GeorgeL
...Driving might end up like sailing, something done for recreation, unencumbered by modern technology (except for GPS, radar, chartplotter, weatherfax, autohelm, etc.).
Like a vintage motorcycle. You can shift gears. Many older ones are not even FI. No accurate fuel gauge, may not have a clock much less a GPS or other niceties. You can add a windshield if you want more comfort.

Old 10-14-2015, 08:32 AM
5 Year Member
Like a vintage motorcycle. You can shift gears. Many older ones are not even FI. No accurate fuel gauge, may not have a clock much less a GPS or other niceties. You can add a windshield if you want more comfort.
Not likely. Non self-driving vehicles won't be allowed on most roads due to safety concerns.

For that matter, parts for my 22 year old Harley-Davidson are becoming more scarce every year as well. Of course, running it into a ditch last week didn't help, I suppose.

Old 10-14-2015, 08:35 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by HondaGeek
The greater majority of America is flat.

The majority of America is nothing like New Jersey.

Old 10-14-2015, 09:22 AM
5 Year Member
For that matter lots of New Jersey is mountainous.

Old 10-14-2015, 11:03 AM
Our 1990 Honda Civic Si was a 5sp
Our 2000 Honda Civic SI is a 5 sp
Our 2004 Honda CR-V EX was a 5sp
I went looking for a 2016 Honda HR-V M/T and could not find one ...
the dealers I talked to swore there was very little demand for them.
I drove a loaded HR-V EX-L (CVT) and hated the ride - very numb,
but maybe the M/T would be better ...

Since I needed something pronto, I wound up buying a 2012 Honda Fit Sport 5 sp -
I figure I'll look for a replacement in a couple years, at MY pace ...
maybe I'll order something new ... but the Fit 5sp is a blast to drive ...

Old 10-14-2015, 11:40 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by exl500
For that matter lots of New Jersey is mountainous.
Compared to Florida, anyway. (Says an ex-Coloradoan.)

Old 10-14-2015, 12:41 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by thewebgal
...I went looking for a 2016 Honda HR-V M/T and could not find one ...the dealers I talked to swore there was very little demand for them.
I drove a loaded HR-V EX-L (CVT) and hated the ride - very numb,
but maybe the M/T would be better ...

Since I needed something pronto, I wound up buying a 2012 Honda Fit Sport 5 sp -
I figure I'll look for a replacement in a couple years, at MY pace ...
maybe I'll order something new ... but the Fit 5sp is a blast to drive ...
You are a die hard Big "H" Honda fan.

It is hard to say how long you'd need to wait for an MT, but probably 4-6 weeks if you could not find one on the lot. There have been pockets of the US that have new 2015 6MTs, but no CVTs.

Only one dealership here in Toronto had a Fit 6MT that I could test drive. I found the 6MT buttery smooth and bought then and there. The difference between the 6MT and the CVT is very negatively significant for me. Dropping $20k on a 6MT without a test drive is more risk than I want to take.

Quick Reply: Manual Transmission: expect less to be made in 2016