3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Ordering a 2016 fit

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 10:27 PM
Question Ordering a 2016 fit

Hey, all

New here, but wanted to ask a question. Was just at the local Honda dealer and put my name (and potential money) on a new 2016 Fit... that doesn't exist yet. Since my two main requirements are 1) Manual and 2) LX, it seems that there are none in the area currently and I'll have to either hope for one to come in to the area (this dealer does dealer trades from Denver, Salt Lake, and I think Santa Fe) or just for the order to go through the pipeline. I was wondering if there were any other members here who had gone through the ordering process to see how long it might take, and such. The dealer said it could be up to a month and half, for whatever that's worth. Or I could break down and start looking at the silver 2015 manual EX they've got in the lot, with all the features that are downgrades in my opinion...

Old 10-26-2015, 10:37 PM
5 Year Member
I put in my order at work (a Honda dealer) last Monday for an EX 6 speed. So far there aren't ANY 6 speeds in my district as of last week.

What I've been hearing is that 2016 production is supposed to begin possibly the end of November/ beginning of December and cars may not until the end of this year or beginning of next... SO unless you're set on getting a specific trim and color choice like I am, it wouldn't hurt to look into the 2015 EX as in my honest opinion it is a damn good buy for what you're getting just in terms of what extras are added on from the trim level change alone.

That's just my 2 cents... And this is coming from someone who would rather have a Sport trim if it existed to fill the gap between the LX and EX.

Old 10-26-2015, 10:41 PM
If you get a 2015 make sure it's a Japanese one. Not a Mexican made one if possible. Mine was build in Mexico and I can see some of the build quality issues.

Old 10-26-2015, 10:47 PM
Originally Posted by Hootie
I put in my order at work (a Honda dealer) last Monday for an EX 6 speed. So far there aren't ANY 6 speeds in my district as of last week.

What I've been hearing is that 2016 production is supposed to begin possibly the end of November/ beginning of December and cars may not until the end of this year or beginning of next... SO unless you're set on getting a specific trim and color choice like I am, it wouldn't hurt to look into the 2015 EX as in my honest opinion it is a damn good buy for what you're getting just in terms of what extras are added on from the trim level change alone.

That's just my 2 cents... And this is coming from someone who would rather have a Sport trim if it existed to fill the gap between the LX and EX.
Yeah, it's tempting... but I really don't like the touch screen, and silver is about the bottom of my list for colors I'd like (I just about smeared a little silver car with my truck the other day because it was blending in with the rain so well, for example)

Old 10-26-2015, 10:50 PM
Oh yeah, and I meant to add that the dealer said they had got the last of the 2015's, and everything from here on out was going to be 2016's. But the only cars they had on order so far were CVT's.

Old 10-26-2015, 11:24 PM
5 Year Member
I'm in Canada, so this might be different.

In late September there was a single 2016 base 6MT "on rail" (in transit), for Ontario and Quebec (66% of Canada's population of 35M), when I ordered, so I bought that one. It happened to be white. My car came in after 4 of an expected 8 weeks. If I wanted a different colour the dealer was telling me I could order it with an estimated Jan 2016 for delivery. Your delivery might vary.

I'd take the 2015 EX 6MT in silver, at a discount. Yes, the touch screen might be slow, and the tech does not work as advertised/at all (for Android) but at least you get a car and not have to wait 3 months. Use the steering wheel volume control instead of the touch screen. And when you're driving you don't even see much of the car's colour anyway.

The 6MT is a very sweet transmission, very buttery smooth shifting. IMHO It is much better than the CVT.

Old 10-26-2015, 11:46 PM
Originally Posted by TorontoBoy
I'm in Canada, so this might be different.

In late September there was a single 2016 base 6MT "on rail" (in transit), for Ontario and Quebec (66% of Canada's population of 35M), when I ordered, so I bought that one. It happened to be white. My car came in after 4 of an expected 8 weeks. If I wanted a different colour the dealer was telling me I could order it with an estimated Jan 2016 for delivery. Your delivery might vary.

I'd take the 2015 EX 6MT in silver, at a discount. Yes, the touch screen might be slow, and the tech does not work as advertised/at all (for Android) but at least you get a car and not have to wait 3 months. Use the steering wheel volume control instead of the touch screen. And when you're driving you don't even see much of the car's colour anyway.

The 6MT is a very sweet transmission, very buttery smooth shifting. IMHO It is much better than the CVT.
3 months isn't long to wait when I want a car that I can drive for 10 years until the wheels fall off. And no aux input is about a dealkiller all on it's own. And it's not me seeing the car, it's if anyone else can see it. Possibly that's just a neurosis I have coming from driving a big pickup truck, though

Agreed on the manual, I thought it was very nice to drive when I was testing it out. Of course, the last manual I drove with any regularity was an 80's volvo...

Old 10-26-2015, 11:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Vjaramillo
If you get a 2015 make sure it's a Japanese one. Not a Mexican made one if possible. Mine was build in Mexico and I can see some of the build quality issues.
The Japanese built ones are for 2016... even then it will not be the sole plant producing them for the US market. On the other hand though, all the 2015s are built in Mexico from what I understand.

Originally Posted by Tacit Blues
Yeah, it's tempting... but I really don't like the touch screen, and silver is about the bottom of my list for colors I'd like (I just about smeared a little silver car with my truck the other day because it was blending in with the rain so well, for example)
I had the EXACT same situation and almost bit on a silver 6 speed EX... BUT the car sold that day so it must be a sign.

I'm also not a fan of the audio unit's lack of a knob on the EX... and the Lane Watch (I've aligned some, its a TEDIOUS job)... and the sunroof... and the Smart Key is a meh feature (used to similar BMW system back in 2007), though I like actually having the old fashioned key-in-ignition setup more. Basically, I'm a purist when it comes to driving... scrap all the comfort techie items, leave the functional/fun bits on and let me drive. (In other words, the guy looking at the S2000 CR without A/C and radio opposed to a normal S2000 or CR with them)

BUT, I can't see worth a flip due to stigmatisms in both eyes so the back up camera with turning guidelines really helps me along with how EASY the audio unit's display is to read.

Old 10-27-2015, 07:25 AM
5 Year Member
People still use the aux jack? Doesn't everything come with blue tooth these days?

Old 10-27-2015, 07:30 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
People still use the aux jack? Doesn't everything come with blue tooth these days?

I'm an old curmudgeon, and even I haven't missed the "aux" jack. My music is either on my iPhone (Bluetooth), or on one of two thumb drives in the dual USB ports.

Old 10-27-2015, 07:33 AM
5 Year Member
BUT, I can't see worth a flip due to stigmatisms in both eyes so the back up camera with turning guidelines really helps me along with how EASY the audio unit's display is to read.

One of the reasons I went with the EX was the larger, much higher resolution display. The back-up camera view is much better on the larger screen for my aging eyes.

Old 10-27-2015, 07:58 AM
5 Year Member
...And no aux input is about a dealkiller all on it's own...

Agreed on the manual, I thought it was very nice to drive when I was testing it out. Of course, the last manual I drove with any regularity was an 80's Volvo...
I have the LX 5" radio, which I much prefer. The volume knob is easy to use without having to look at it. The 5" radio is intuitive. The 7" touch screen I test drove was sluggish and I knew it would bother me very much when compared to our other electronic devices. I also doubt that Honda will ever do an upgrade to the infotainment system.

The aux input was important to my kids. While most devices come with Bluetooth, which the LX radio does have, Bluetooth drains device battery power like crazy and sound fidelity is very inferior to the aux or USB input. They requested the aux input.

The aux input is also used for those that want XM radio. I don't think the EX has XM radio, and there's no current fix to add XM radio. The EX-L has XM radio in the head unit, I think, and the LX has the aux input so you can add your own.

OT: I learned to shift on an 80's Volvo. I remember having a cramped left leg and feeling like I was driving a truck! Oh times have changed...

Last edited by TorontoBoy; 10-27-2015 at 08:06 AM.
Old 10-27-2015, 11:35 AM
RE: the aux jack, yes I still use it. Prefer the audio quality, not to mention I find it very convenient to be able to just pop the plug out if I need to pause the music (my phone pauses when it's unplugged and then resumes play when you plug it back in) rather than having to fiddle with touch screen controls. Probably the steering wheel controls would work just fine, but different strokes for different folks. *shrug* Like I said, I don't mind waiting for what I want, the truck works fine and gas is sitting at $2.15 here right now so even that's not much of a problem. Just wanted to know how long the wait might be.

Old 10-27-2015, 11:54 AM
5 Year Member
What I've been hearing is that 2016 production is supposed to begin possibly the end of November/ beginning of December and cars may not until the end of this year or beginning of next...
2016's are already appearing in dealer inventory here in Southern California, so I'm not sure where you're getting your info from. Both Japanese and Mexican-made.

Last edited by robbbbb; 10-27-2015 at 01:03 PM.
Old 10-27-2015, 12:47 PM
5 Year Member

I personally saw a '16 J VIN Fit at a Baltimore dealer two weeks ago. So much for Nov-Dec production start for '16's unless I am misunderstanding you.

Old 10-27-2015, 02:29 PM
Heard back from the dealer, they're not expecting any LX manuals til the middle of next month. I can wait

Old 10-27-2015, 02:52 PM
5 Year Member
Heard back from the dealer, they're not expecting any LX manuals til the middle of next month. I can wait
If you are planning to keep this car for 10 years or so, I would definitely wait for the car you want.

16 Fits (even JDM ones) are 100% in production already. That said, yes, the initially focus is on CVT models.

A fresh order for a Mexican built Fit yields about a two month wait. I do not have a time frame for a fresh order from Japan as of yet.

Patience pays off, however, so keep doing what you are doing.

Once your car is built, the dealer will receive the assigned VIN#, which they should provide you with.

At that point its time to get excited and work on your mod list!

Old 10-27-2015, 04:26 PM
Originally Posted by HondaGeek
If you are planning to keep this car for 10 years or so, I would definitely wait for the car you want.

16 Fits (even JDM ones) are 100% in production already. That said, yes, the initially focus is on CVT models.

A fresh order for a Mexican built Fit yields about a two month wait. I do not have a time frame for a fresh order from Japan as of yet.

Patience pays off, however, so keep doing what you are doing.

Once your car is built, the dealer will receive the assigned VIN#, which they should provide you with.

At that point its time to get excited and work on your mod list!
Yeah, and I'm still not 100 percent sure we're talking about a custom order yet or just one that is already in the pipeline. The salesman and the guy who handles ordering haven't yet both been in the store at the same time

Old 10-28-2015, 01:04 AM
5 Year Member
Silver is a nice not showy color. I hace one and I love the car. Before I was pull by the police really often and in mexico that means you need to pay a bribe even tho you haven't done anything and it you have done bribe goes way to high.

I'll suggest you wait for the 2016. What I did was I lok up al the honda dealrs that where close to my area. I call every single of them and I told them I have the money to pay that day cash and the my only requisite was manual LX and not yellow. In a couple of call someone told me he has silver and I said ok I''l buy it right now.

Also if you are not in a rush I'll suggest waiting for the 2018 model. Accord to the new honda civic and honda accord reducing it will be ... legend... wait for it...dary.. New lights maybe leds and more saying and hopefully all the problems might be done by that time.

My two cents.

Old 11-02-2015, 10:46 PM
Talked with the dealer again today, they've got two (EX and LX) CVT's coming soon, and they're going to trade one for a manual with another dealer for me. He said "2 weeks" but it's a car salesman so I'll expect a month or so It can maybe be a Christmas present at that point!

Quick Reply: Ordering a 2016 fit