3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Fit in snow

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 09:58 AM

Snow day here, and everyone I know works for the school district. Too bad I don't But I'm probably going to lay low and if I go in to work it'll be after the plow comes by...

Old 02-01-2016, 10:59 AM
Originally Posted by 1speedbike
Got the same snows! How do you like them?

Mine feel very confident in snow but feel like absolute shit in all other conditions, more so than any other snow tires I've tried. And they break loose very suddenly and easily in non-slush non-snowy wet roads. Almost to a dangerous extent I'd say. And it's like there's an extra half second delay between any steering input and what eventually happens with the car. Bizarre.

I'm just wondering if that's part for the course for these tires or if something is wrong with mine.
Dry traction is not as good. I do feel they are a bit sluggish on dry road. The side wall and traction pad is softer than the all seasons, but yes snow traction is awesome! With the LP chains I'm limited to 30mph, I've only had to use them once thankfully.

Ideally with snow tires I'd want to have a bit more negative camber in the front to compensate for the softer tire since it allows more contact to the road in a turn. I actually switched back to my all seasons since its been warm and any snow in Connecticut has nearly melted away. The next storm that we will eventually get I'll slap them back on before I have to drive in it, if I have to at all.

Bottom line, good solid snow tires, sucks for anything else that I can confirm.

Old 10-14-2017, 03:07 PM
5 Year Member
Rocking the car in mud or snow

It has long been recommended to "rock" the car to get it out of being stuck in mud or snow. That is, put it in reverse, give it some gas, them rapidly shift to first while the wheels are still turning backwards, in order to "rock" the car forward. Onwers manual says its ok to shift into first without first coming to a complete stop, if you have been going in reverse, but not ok to shift into reverse before coming to a complete stop, if you have been going forward. With the CVT however, it says do not shift from drive to reverse or reverse to drive, until the car comes to a complete stop. This would make rocking impossible. I have inadvertantly shifted before coming to a complete stop - while rolling slowly. There was no obvious harm. But I'm wondering if I should not try to rock by CVT fit. Any comments?

Technique for turning off VSA is to hold down the button until you hear the beep. It takes only about 1 second. To turn it back on - same thing.

Old 10-14-2017, 05:33 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
get snow tires. no need to rock the car. i live in a snow belt state and ive never had to rock my Fits. i run blizzaks WS60's. GL

Old 10-14-2017, 06:18 PM
5 Year Member
The only time I had to rock a car to get going was a manual, but I only used first gear. Roll the car forward until it's on the verge of spinning the tires, and then push the clutch in. Car rolled forward and up as it compressed the snow a bit, then rolled back down. As the car reached the back of the newly lengthened depression, I let the clutch out again and rolled forward. Worked great, but the next year I got snow tires.

Old 10-16-2017, 10:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
get snow tires. no need to rock the car. i live in a snow belt state and ive never had to rock my Fits. i run blizzaks WS60's. GL
I live in an area where there is heavy snow maybe once every 10 years, and moderate snow once every 3 years. In the moderate snow years, there are maybe 3 or 4 days per year during which snow tires would be of any use. So snow tires would be inappropriate. But once in awhile I have to dig out the snow drifts around the car, try and clear some snow from under the wheels, and try to get going. I've always found rocking helpful. You rock 3 or 4 times - and you're out. Much easier than spending another hour digging. This is my first automatic. Yes, the other alternative is to wait a day or 2 for the snow to evaporate.

Old 10-17-2017, 08:18 AM
Fit does great in snow.

Attached Thumbnails Fit in snow-img_0698.jpg  
Old 10-17-2017, 09:35 AM
5 Year Member
While on the topic of snow, my car is ready for new tires.
I wanted to get all-seasons that perform better than stock in the snow.
I was looking at these in 205/50 R16, BF Goodrich G-Force Comp 2.

Does anyone have experience with these tires, specifically in the snow?