3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Is your tint affecting visibility?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 11:08 PM
Is your tint affecting visibility?

Probably too late to ask because it's already done, but I got my car tinted this morning.

I chose 5% limo tint because there has been a lot of break ins and I end up leaving lots of junk in my car and don't have the energy to keep moving things around.

The one thing I've heard is that visability at night can be pretty hard, but I usually use my back up camera to park.

Was hoping to get feedback from others who have used 5% tint on the back windows and cargo window and if they've found it difficult to see

Old 03-18-2016, 02:36 AM
15% sides 5% rear. I can reverse normally as long the white reverse lights work, even on dark rural roads with ditches. The camera is helpful.

Old 03-19-2016, 11:19 AM
I have 5% on the front windows and even darker on the rear windows. I can't see anything when reversing and I always back into parking spots. I just roll the front windows down because my 2007 base doesn't have a rer-view camera.

Old 03-19-2016, 12:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Jo Anna
Probably too late to ask because it's already done, but I got my car tinted this morning.

I chose 5% limo tint because there has been a lot of break ins and I end up leaving lots of junk in my car and don't have the energy to keep moving things around.

The one thing I've heard is that visability at night can be pretty hard, but I usually use my back up camera to park.

Was hoping to get feedback from others who have used 5% tint on the back windows and cargo window and if they've found it difficult to see
5%!!! In Tennessee and many other states that would be illegal except on the back window and the rear passenger doors. 35% on the front doors and nothing except a "sun shade" strip on the windshield in Tennessee. The cops like to be able to see your hands on a traffic stop. Florida, Texas, and the Southwest states maybe exceptions because of the extreme heat.

35% does a pretty good job of keeping the glass from shattering. It kept a thief from entering my son's Toyota pickup. Smash and grab became smash and whutthehell.

Old 03-19-2016, 12:19 PM
Originally Posted by KentFinn
Florida, Texas, and the Southwest states maybe exceptions because of the extreme heat.
Florida is not an exception, here are their rules for sedans:

Windshield: Non-reflective tint is allowed above the manufacturer's AS-1 line.
Front Side windows: Must allow more than 28% of light in.
Back Side windows: Must allow more than 15% of light in.
Rear Window: Must allow more than 15% of light in.
Front Side windows: Must not be more than 25% reflective.
Back Side windows: Must not be more than 35% reflective.
Stickers: The sticker to identify legal tinting is required on the inside of the driver’s side doorjamb.

Old 03-19-2016, 12:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by gderf
Florida is not an exception, here are their rules for sedans:

Windshield: Non-reflective tint is allowed above the manufacturer's AS-1 line.
Front Side windows: Must allow more than 28% of light in.
Back Side windows: Must allow more than 15% of light in.
Rear Window: Must allow more than 15% of light in.
Front Side windows: Must not be more than 25% reflective.
Back Side windows: Must not be more than 35% reflective.
Stickers: The sticker to identify legal tinting is required on the inside of the driver’s side doorjamb.
Note that I said MAY BE. It's been more than 20 years since I worked as an accountant at an auto trim and tint company and the reflective was just coming in. Front side windows, 35%, back side and rear window 15-5 depending on which cop stopped you. The compliance "bug" had to be on the lower right corner of the driver's door (about the size of my pinkie finger print"}. Illinois cop didn't take that into consideration when ticketed my son when he lived in Lamont.

Old 03-21-2016, 12:48 AM
Originally Posted by KentFinn
5%!!! In Tennessee and many other states that would be illegal except on the back window and the rear passenger doors. 35% on the front doors and nothing except a "sun shade" strip on the windshield in Tennessee. The cops like to be able to see your hands on a traffic stop. Florida, Texas, and the Southwest states maybe exceptions because of the extreme heat.

35% does a pretty good job of keeping the glass from shattering. It kept a thief from entering my son's Toyota pickup. Smash and grab became smash and whutthehell.

front windows and windshield are clear. just the back and the back window tinted. cheaper then buying a Honda cargo

Old 03-21-2016, 01:49 AM
5 Year Member
That's real dark but legal in California- I'm in So Cal and granted I usually tint my cars with 3M "35" in front windows and "20" in rear windows and back windshield (if 3M Crystalline probably 40 all around- depending on how it looks).

Granted front windows are technically "illegal"- but if you're quick enough and their not too dark- roll em down- if you get pulled over by the "fuzz". But they may give you crap about darkness of rear windows and rear windshield but they can't- cite you for that- you just have to be able to see! And "5%" is DARK- especially at night- compound that with occasional rain in California. My two cents...

Old 03-21-2016, 02:07 AM
5 Year Member
Dark tint is a free pull over for the cops to check you.. And a "unsafe" vehicle can be impounded.

I don't believe in starting out that far on the losing side. Plus I really hate driving tinted cars, The eff up the transition lenses in my glasses..

Old 03-21-2016, 12:49 PM
Originally Posted by KenBT
That's real dark but legal in California- I'm in So Cal and granted I usually tint my cars with 3M "35" in front windows and "20" in rear windows and back windshield (if 3M Crystalline probably 40 all around- depending on how it looks).

Granted front windows are technically "illegal"- but if you're quick enough and their not too dark- roll em down- if you get pulled over by the "fuzz". But they may give you crap about darkness of rear windows and rear windshield but they can't- cite you for that- you just have to be able to see! And "5%" is DARK- especially at night- compound that with occasional rain in California. My two cents...
In California you don't need to have any visibility through the windows aft of the driver as long as you have a right side outside mirror! So many cars come with factory tint that the cops don't even notice them any more.

Now, tint on the front windows will get their attention, so make sure that if you use it there is a good contrast with the darker rear tint. If you look like a hoon, tint is a cop's favorite excuse to pull you over so they can look you over until they find a violation. If you drive a Mercedes S-class you can get away with anything because cops don't want to deal with anyone who has a lawyer on speed-dial.