General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Are your windows tinted?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 05:01 AM
Are your windows tinted?

Tomorrow l'm going to a window tint shop to get the tint removed. I delivered pizza in it for 2 nights and it was scary after dark. Now that l'm older l don't see as good at night. Sure I could roll down the windows when l need to see out but it rains so much here. So l've been delivering in the gas guzzler Grand Marquis until the tint gets taken off. Did you tint the windows on your Fit? if so, why? Because it's cooler in the summer? Because it looks cool? l could switch to day shift, but most big tips come after 7 or 8pm. :-)

Last edited by If_It_Fits; 10-22-2018 at 05:03 AM.
Old 10-22-2018, 07:38 AM
5 Year Member
I guess it would depend on the % of the tint. I had darker tint in my younger days and it wasn't a big deal. For the Fit I got legal tint, which is 50% front and 35% rears in my state. For me, this would be as dark as I'd go at this point of my life.

Old 10-22-2018, 08:21 AM
5 Year Member
I would say my opinion is tint can look great.
On hot and/or sunny days, it can functionally be an advantage.

But like the OP, I avoid it, because I do a lot of driving at night. There are a lot of times I want as much light and visibility as possible.
I know this statement bothers Tint supporters but that just my attitude.

Sans the Heat Reduction benefits, I find investment into good sunglasses a far more versatile and cheap option if I suddenly want the "illusion" my windows are tinted.

Old 10-22-2018, 08:52 AM
5 Year Member
I get polarized shades help, but that extra layer of tint really does cut down on the heat coming into the cabin. When driving south you can really feel the heat of the sun hitting your body, but when the road turns and it's hitting the tinted windows, it doesn't feel nearly as hot. Maybe anecdotal, but to me it's made a difference.

Old 10-22-2018, 09:16 AM
5 Year Member
Most factory automotive glass offers little to no UV protection for both you and your interior. See all those cars with faded or cracked dashes and discolored door panels?

Not mine because I tint my cars within days of buying them. That being said, my film of choice has gotten lighter through the years due to aging eyes. The day's of having limo tint in the '80's have been replace with nights of now using high end ceramic film in the 30-35% range. Ceramic for maximum UV and heat rejection and 30-35% so my old eyes can see well at night.

When I have a rental car I'm miserable even in night driving from being blinded by headlights from the rear shining through the side windows courtesy of the side view mirrors. Then the day comes and I'm hot and getting sunburned.

Window tint for life for me!

Old 10-22-2018, 09:57 AM
You could use the static/suction-cup style window screens as a psuedo-tint once your front tint is removed. That way, you could still have the benefits of blocking out the sunlight and see clearly at night.

My windows are 35% (front) and 15% (rear passenger and rear window). Parking in the shade definitely helps but at some point I have to drive in sunlight. The window tint definitely helps cut down on the interior temperature of the vehicle. In theory, the car is safer because any valuables inside will be hard to see. I hardly leave anything of value in the car (especially counting me in it).

Old 10-22-2018, 11:11 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by marmaladedad
You could use the static/suction-cup style window screens as a psuedo-tint once your front tint is removed. That way, you could still have the benefits of blocking out the sunlight and see clearly at night.

My windows are 35% (front) and 15% (rear passenger and rear window). Parking in the shade definitely helps but at some point I have to drive in sunlight. The window tint definitely helps cut down on the interior temperature of the vehicle. In theory, the car is safer because any valuables inside will be hard to see. I hardly leave anything of value in the car (especially counting me in it).
You mention safety, another thing that people don't really mention is the fact that there is tint on the window prevents the windows from just shattering in tiny pieces. The tint keeps the window intact and makes it more difficult to just break a window and get into the car. Untinted windows just shatter into a thousand pieces.

Old 10-22-2018, 11:13 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
You mention safety, another thing that people don't really mention is the fact that there is tint on the window prevents the windows from just shattering in tiny pieces. The tint keeps the window intact and makes it more difficult to just break a window and get into the car. Untinted windows just shatter into a thousand pieces.
This is true. I had someone smash the window in one of my cars many years ago. The whole window was intact and sitting in the passenger seat. Granted...it was shattered, but the tint held it together.

Old 10-22-2018, 12:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GAFIT
This is true. I had someone smash the window in one of my cars many years ago. The whole window was intact and sitting in the passenger seat. Granted...it was shattered, but the tint held it together.
Well that sucks...

Old 10-22-2018, 03:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by If_It_Fits
Did you tint the windows on your Fit? if so, why? Because it's cooler in the summer? Because it looks cool?
Yes, because it keeps it cooler and looks awesome. I also like how when parked in a parking lot you can't easily see what is in the car. That being said if I did a lot of night time driving or delivered I wouldn't go as dark because it is a pain to see at night. I have to put the window down when backing up if it is not well lite.

I have limo (5%) all around:

Name:  ZwJWSPql.jpg
Views: 1814
Size:  64.1 KB

Old 10-22-2018, 08:46 PM
The tint shop charged $50usd to remove tint from the side windows and the little windows by the side mirrors. He said removing it off the rear window could damage the rear defrost and recommended leaving it on. After dark l'm going to go for a drive and check it out. l'm off work today and tomorrow, so the real test will come when l go back to work on Wednesday night. The guy at the tint shop said you can get 80% ceramic that blocks out heat and it's not dark at all. That may be an option next April when it starts getting hot.

Old 10-23-2018, 07:54 AM
5 Year Member
It's easy enough to remove tint yourself. I've done it with a fabric steamer and was able to remove large sections at a time. The adhesive comes off pretty easily too. The small front windows may be challenging though.

Old 10-23-2018, 10:04 AM
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
The windshield is, thankfully, shatterproof. Even when a body lands on it.

Many years back, a kid on a modified motorized scooter came tearing around a turn (my car was stopped) and slammed in to the front side fender, flipping him over and my windshield caught him. Whole thing shattered/cracked/spiderweb'd, but did not break through. When I brought the car in, the body shop employees were giving me funny stares and looks though. "Who did you kill??"

Old 10-23-2018, 01:04 PM
5 Year Member
anyone here ever hit a person?

<--- I have ..... and no.... he dindt die

As Marmaladedad stated, the front windshield doesnt shatter, its pretty remarkable.

Old 10-24-2018, 09:00 AM
5 Year Member
Not a guaranteed fix but if you have light tint you could try adding a JDM broadway mirror. They have a couple different flavors and one of them is supposed to slightly enhance visibility outside the windows that are tinted. There are a couple different lengths so check the distance between your sun visors when folded down.
Broadway BW846 300mm Type-A Flat Mirror

Amazon Amazon

Old 10-25-2018, 11:04 AM
5 Year Member
Yeah, got mine tinted....black '15 LX, went with the legal here, 35% front and back and hatch....didn't want to go darker, as nighttime lighting is not the greatest in my small southern city, but 35% is "dark enough" to keep out light/heat, for the most part (I work nights, so, it doesn't sit in the sun all day building up heat and lives in the garage at home. Limo tint on cars looks great in the daytime, but....My old eyes probably wouldn't agree with it night. I DO have the top of the windshield strip at limo tint, looks great, helps when the sun is at "that angle" where it pokes through between the visors....tint shop says they've never had a customer pulled over for it, in their experience.....not to mention, it's hard to tell on a black Fit....I always have the visors down, and from the outside, the tint doesn't really look like it's tinted, just looks like the front roofline is about 9" lower. My wife has a blue Kia Forte we had 30% done, it looks great, and, although technically illegal, not really dark enough to attract authorities' attention, especially when there are a lot of folks running REALLY dark tint 'round here.

Old 08-28-2019, 01:41 PM
Went 15% tint on the back windows (not legal to tint front windows in Alberta, Canada).