3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Do Honda Fit's have "x" coded fabric

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 12:36 AM
Do Honda Fit's have "x" coded fabric

Hi all, I just bought a Blue Honda Fit this Saturday. I was going to pay for the exterior and interior sealant, but multiple forums have said that it is a scam and you can do it yourself for much cheaper.

As my old car died unexpectantly, and I wasn't expecting new car payments, I need to save money whenever possible.

So I bought some Scotch Gard Auto Fabric and Carpet protector.

I just read the instructions and it says to not use on "x coded fabric." I have NO idea what that is or if Honda Fits have that not. Can anyone tell me what it is and if that is the material used in these cars?

Thanks!

Old 03-31-2016, 02:11 AM
5 Year Member
x" coded fabric? I have enver heard of that. As in everything put in a place where nobody can see it as a test. Leave it for a week and if everything goes well proced to the rest of the car.

But I totally agree is a big scam. Sealat you can do it yourself but I would go for meguiar wax nxt 2.0 wax. Every season or four times a year. As for the interior I have a rule nobody eat, smokes or drinks except for me. My car my rules. They can go in taxi if they don;t want to follow though. That way I'll keep my interior ultra clean(im lazy and prefer don't get it dirty than clean it every week). Also try to get the whetertech or husky 3d matt. They would do wonders to keep everything tight.

Also do not put a plastic protect as armorall in he front it will shine and glare you(as I did). If you live in the usa try to look for a mate finish(at least for the front panel).

Crongrats in your car. Manual or cvt?

Old 03-31-2016, 12:36 PM
Thanks for the advice and welcome!

I think I will call my dealer and ask about the X coded fabric. I looked it up on google. It has to do with types of cleaning with fabric. I think it is ok, but I will double check.

I have been pricing mats the last few days and had already decided to go with the husky liners.

Thanks for the tip about the armorall. I really didn't maintain my old car the way I think I want to with this new one. But I also am not the person who will spend hours and hours cleaning my car all the time. My car gets me to my hobby- it is not my hobby.

I have a CVT.

I had a 2002 Kia Rio Cinco before. Thought it was a good car for 12 years- did all the service miles and sunk a lot of money into maintenance. But it still just started breaking down the last year. I only had 86,000 miles on it, so that was very disappointing. Honda's are supposed to last longer with less maintenance costs.

About to go get rid of my old car today. The money will go towards buying mats and a cargo cover. I really need a cargo cover as I keep a bunch of martial arts equipment in my car. As well as giving me a couple of car payments!

BTW, my car came with rear tinted windows, is that normal? I didn't even get mats, so I was surprised it came with tinting.

Old 03-31-2016, 12:46 PM
5 Year Member
I don't think the LX comes with mats, but the EX does. None come with tint unless the dealer adds it on. It should show on your window sticker if there were any dealer add ons.

Old 03-31-2016, 01:16 PM
5 Year Member
X-coded fabrics are mostly seen on curtains and other draperies. They required vacuum cleaning, not anything with water or solvents. Cars would never have that type of material. Unless it's a Maybach, with those curtains so that owners won't be bothered by the sight of poor people.

Old 03-31-2016, 10:06 PM
5 Year Member
Insert you whatever is "x" here joke.

Old 04-01-2016, 09:55 AM
Originally Posted by aaradia

So I bought some Scotch Gard Auto Fabric and Carpet protector.

I just read the instructions and it says to not use on "x coded fabric." I have NO idea what that is or if Honda Fits have that not. Can anyone tell me what it is and if that is the material used in these cars?

Thanks!
Per Wikipedia the current stuff is much better than what we grew up with, only a little over a month half-life in people (as opposed to over 5 years with the old stuff). To quote:

PFBS has served as a replacement for the persistent, toxic, and bioaccumulative perfluorooctanesulfonic acid (PFOS) in 3M's Scotchgard stain repellents since June 2003.[4][5] PFBS has a much shorter half-life in people than PFOS (a little over one month vs. 5.4 years).[6] While PFBS is expected to be persistent in the environment, multiple studies indicate that PFBS is neither toxic nor bioaccumulative.[5]