3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

new guy here

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 08:41 AM
new guy here

Hi guys I recently purchase a 2015 fit ex and got a question regarding this platform. A little intro of myself I drove a 2000 awd crv prior to the fit, I drive 120.00 and some change miles a day for work I can get 3 days out of a full tank with the crv and I consistently gets 27 mpg with it. Now that I have the fit I can't get 3 days worth of gas with this new one. The fit has only 5000 or so miles on her. Is there a break in procedure for this car?
Conclusion: can the fit get 3 days worth of gas With how far I drive? I don't speed at all 65-70 mph is my average speed the whole time. I assume I would get at least 4 days out of it before I fill her up again but it seems like I fill up only 2 days now. And one last question why does the fuel light lights up when only 2 bars are left on the fuel gauge. And when I fill up I get 8 gallon or so I thought it had 10 gallon on a fit?

P.s. I have a cvt transmission if that helps

Old 04-04-2016, 09:18 AM
5 Year Member
I normally get range of about 400+ miles on the Fit. The gas light comes on when there is about 2 gallons left in the tank. I ignore it and keep driving. What I do is mental math. If I'm getting 40 MPG and the tank is 10.6 gallons then I know I can at least get 400 miles on the tank. If I fill up at 360 miles then there is still some buffer.

Old 04-04-2016, 01:00 PM
yeah looks like I'm going to run it empty and see how far the gas can take me, will bring 5 gallon of gas in the car for this one just to be on the safe side lol

Old 04-04-2016, 01:04 PM
5 Year Member
The Fit's gas gauge is one of the most pessimistic I've run across. When my "low fuel" light comes on it takes 8.25 gallons to fill it out of a total capacity of 10.5 gallons. Theoretically, I could drive another 80 miles or so, but I'm not eager to try it.

Old 04-04-2016, 01:37 PM
5 Year Member
The best I've done so far is 422 miles and filled up 9.434 gallons. I'm sure I had another 40 some miles, but I was going to risk it.

Old 04-04-2016, 03:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by somejaykid
yeah looks like I'm going to run it empty and see how far the gas can take me, will bring 5 gallon of gas in the car for this one just to be on the safe side lol
I have read somewhere here that running the tank to actual empty might result in your fuel pump overheating. The fuel actually cools the fuel pump. I don't know if this is true.

Old 04-04-2016, 03:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TorontoBoy
I have read somewhere here that running the tank to actual empty might result in your fuel pump overheating. The fuel actually cools the fuel pump. I don't know if this is true.
This is true, especially with direct injection vehicles with high pressure fuel pumps(like our Fits). I'd start using Fuelly to track your fill ups, to get some type of hard baseline on how far you can go. It's also a good way to figure out the range of the vehicle during different seasons. Winter gas, and having the defogger on really knocks down the mileage for me.

Old 04-04-2016, 11:56 PM
5 Year Member
As many said here the light indicator might show way before probabliy to prevent fuel pump fail. That it is pretty common replace in modern cars. So try not to run of fuel. (not sure if myth or real but at least Scotty Kilmer explain in in one of his videos).

Also the fit will give you a lot of mpg but short trips mainly due the small tank capacity. The small capacity is because is in the center of the car to allow the magic seats functionality. So there is the tradeoff.

There is not brake in procedure just as the manual says do not change the oil early cuz it have magic powers that make the car last longer(see the manual).
As for the rage you should get around 400 miles (40mpg and the tank is 10 gallons). Give or take. But with cvt you should get more.

Old 04-05-2016, 12:07 AM
5 Year Member
Mileage per tank is a terrible measure of economy.

A 2000 CRV tank is around 15 gallons.

A 2015 Fit's is around 10.

I don't understand why some of these questions even have to be asked.

Old 04-05-2016, 08:02 AM
I do not recommend running your tank completely dry. Especially with direct injection.

Old 04-05-2016, 09:45 AM
thanks for all the input guys I'm going to see if I can at least get 3 days worth of gas, been researching this for a bit now and it seems like everybody who owns the 15 platform have the same experience as I do. will check back later on for the progress

Old 04-05-2016, 08:35 PM
5 Year Member
You've just completely ignored everyone's input.

Old 04-05-2016, 08:50 PM
5 Year Member
I did this with all my cars, wait until empty then run down some back roads until it runs out of gas just to see how far the gauge went. But I've resisted the urge with the Fit; all this talk about fuel pumps scares the crap out of me.

Old 04-06-2016, 04:43 AM
Originally Posted by mike410b
You've just completely ignored everyone's input.
I appreciate all the comments here, but at the end of the day I want to know myself how far I can push this car. And aren't you that person who talk shit to everyone in my local forum? I'm 110% sure your that person so your opinion doesn't count you talk shit all the time belittle other members and when called out you either hide or back peddle yourself out.

And by the way as always you don't have nothing but negativity thing to say as usual

Old 04-06-2016, 04:45 AM
Originally Posted by bach
I did this with all my cars, wait until empty then run down some back roads until it runs out of gas just to see how far the gauge went. But I've resisted the urge with the Fit; all this talk about fuel pumps scares the crap out of me.
I did this to my old cars also but good thing is I never did run out of gas, good indication as how far can do it until it's really time to refuel

Old 04-06-2016, 04:48 AM
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
The best I've done so far is 422 miles and filled up 9.434 gallons. I'm sure I had another 40 some miles, but I was going to risk it.
That's really good thanks for the input , I highly doubt I would run it that far I'll be happy if I can get 300+ miles on a single tank

Old 04-06-2016, 07:32 AM
5 Year Member
Motorcycles usually have no gas guage or an unreliable one.

Run a bunch of tanks to find your baseline miles/gallon. If the weather, driving habits, and gas does not change, then you should be able to calculate pretty accurately how far you can go without going completely dry. The Fit's 2 ticks left leaves way too much gas in the tank.

Old 04-06-2016, 09:05 AM
5 Year Member
Is there room in the Fit to add an aftermarket auxiliary fuel tank? I bet some folks would forfeit their spare tire for an extra five gallons of gas.

Old 04-06-2016, 10:03 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Press Fit
Is there room in the Fit to add an aftermarket auxiliary fuel tank? I bet some folks would forfeit their spare tire for an extra five gallons of gas.
Really? Gas stations are THAT far apart where you live? If the Fit was a B-25, and it was 1942, and I was about to take off from the deck of the USS Hornet to bomb Tokyo then, hopefully, land in China, I'd be concerned about the maximum range. But it's not and I'm not.

Old 04-06-2016, 11:41 AM
5 Year Member
I did this to my old cars also but good thing is I never did run out of gas, good indication as how far can do it until it's really time to refuel
Its pretty common to ruin a catalytic converter by running eFI motors out of gas.
The fuel injection computer gets radically confused by the spikes in mixture and can result in a hell of a backfire..

I've done this once.. It was ugly.. Basically ended up replacing the cat and the muffler and the O2 sensor from the backfire.

Running your car below 1/4 tank especially in hot weather is really hard on the fuel pump. My wife does it all the time and I've had to replace 3 pumps in her car in 6 years. They normally last over 150K she gets about 45K out of one. 400 dollar pump for her car(E46 BMW 330). But she refuses to fill up till the warning light comes on which leaves 2 gallons in her tank.. arg.. My E36 318 has 275K on it and is on the original pump.. I fill up at about 1/3 tank mark most of the time.

Good Luck.

Quick Reply: new guy here