3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Fit vs Ford F-150 :(

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 10:58 PM
Fit vs Ford F-150 :(

Got rear ended on Sunday when the truck behind me failed to stop when the car in front of me made a left turn. The leather headrests actually hurt when your head hits them, and I got a minor concussion from it. Figured I would share what a 25mph rear end crash looks like. Looking at $4k - 5k in damages depending on how bad the body damage is.

Old 04-11-2016, 11:41 PM
5 Year Member
So sad to see your Octopi hit in the butt. How could he have not seen the pokemon? I would hope that your estimate of $4-5k is way too high, as that's a good % chunk of the car's value. If he hit you straight on vs at some weird angle there is a better chance that there is no frame damage. It looks like the force was evenly distributed to the 3' of your rear hatch, so that's a good thing. Is your rear bumper even scratched?

Getting rear ended is rough on the neck and you might have a concussion. Monitor yourself closely and go see a doc to document your condition. Warning signs include a headache, and neck and back pain. This is serious and can have life-long implications. If you feel any of these symptoms after doc hours go to an ER.

Did the air bag go off?

Old 04-12-2016, 01:13 AM
Why is it that idiots are allowed to drive pickup trucks and SUVs?

Sorry to see that happen to you.

Old 04-12-2016, 05:14 AM
5 Year Member
That makes me sad seeing your car in that condition. You may want to pull the Jazz emblem yourself before the body shop gets its hand on it, they may not swap that emblem over?

Old 04-12-2016, 09:31 AM
Originally Posted by TorontoBoy
So sad to see your Octopi hit in the butt. How could he have not seen the pokemon? I would hope that your estimate of $4-5k is way too high, as that's a good % chunk of the car's value. If he hit you straight on vs at some weird angle there is a better chance that there is no frame damage. It looks like the force was evenly distributed to the 3' of your rear hatch, so that's a good thing. Is your rear bumper even scratched?

Getting rear ended is rough on the neck and you might have a concussion. Monitor yourself closely and go see a doc to document your condition. Warning signs include a headache, and neck and back pain. This is serious and can have life-long implications. If you feel any of these symptoms after doc hours go to an ER.

Did the air bag go off?
I have taken it in for estimates and they have already said it going to be at least $4k because there is frame damage. They can't get the spare tire cover up to see how bad it is at this point though because the bumper is wedged in.

The airbags did not go off so I only hit the back of my head. And I went to urgent care and got diagnosed with a concussion and a accident induced migraine :/

Attaching a picture of the bumper so you can maybe see the damage I am taking about. The inside of the hatch was pushed in by the trunk lid and that's where they believe the body damage to be.

Old 04-12-2016, 12:05 PM
5 Year Member
It is very sad that your Octopi has frame damage. How does a dealer repair the frame? Remove everything, work on the frame, bang out metal parts, repaint the metal parts, put everything back with new parts? How can they determine if the frame was twisted?

As the IIHS Safety crash testing rating states, bigger is better.

Anyway for the Fit it is all just money, something that can be managed. Your concussion and headache on the other hand, is much more concerning. Whiplash is pretty common in a rear ender. Monitor and document, don't question yourself. Crash test dummies have a hard life.

Old 04-12-2016, 12:14 PM
5 Year Member
Too bad..

Insist on a good alignment It will end up "close enough" or "In tolerance" rather than right.

Go to a good physical therapist/otho for the neck and head, even if you don't feel too bad.
I've had too many friends think was a mild hit then find out a few months later that a disk
or ligament had issues then everybody fights over how it happened and who pays..

Old 04-12-2016, 01:31 PM
It is very sad that your Octopi has frame damage. How does a dealer repair the frame? Remove everything, work on the frame, bang out metal parts, repaint the metal parts, put everything back with new parts? How can they determine if the frame was twisted?

As the IIHS Safety crash testing rating states, bigger is better.

Anyway for the Fit it is all just money, something that can be managed. Your concussion and headache on the other hand, is much more concerning. Whiplash is pretty common in a rear ender. Monitor and document, don't question yourself. Crash test dummies have a hard life.
I am not sure, really. I am taking it to a Honda Certified Repair shop that the dealer directed me toward, they get all their parts directly from Honda so at least it will be done right.

I am feeling fine besides a headache that wont leave. I have a followup next monday to make sure everything looks alright.

The part I am sad about is the fact that my car is now worth 3k less than before the accident because it now has a record. I am attempting to file a diminished value claim to make the insurance company pay me this amount.

Old 04-12-2016, 01:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fit_as_a_butchers_dog
Why is it that idiots are allowed to drive pickup trucks and SUVs?

Sorry to see that happen to you.
There are idiots that drive Fits, too. My Fit can't pull a trailer with three 1600 lb. round bales of hay on it, which is why I have a pickup. Regardless, it's my money to spend on the vehicle I choose.

The real issue is that there are a lot of drivers out there who don't drive with their head in the game (whether texting or not).

OP - hope you get things resolved quickly and to your satisfaction. As others said, definitely have any health issues attended to promptly. We've been on the receiving end of accidents before, too - no fun.

es

Old 04-12-2016, 02:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Octopy
...I am feeling fine besides a headache that wont leave. I have a followup next monday to make sure everything looks alright...
You might want to read up, if your headache permits, on coup-contrecoup brain injury, where the brain hits the inside front of the skull, and then hits the inside rear of the skull. This is pretty common.

The main cause of a mild or moderate brain injury is a coup-contrecoup injury, when the brain bounces back and forth inside the skull. The coup injury happens when the head stops abruptly because of an impact and the brain then crashes into the skull.
The contrecoup injury occurs when the brain then bounces inside the skull and impacts the opposite side of the skull. This type of injury can occur during a rear-ended motor vehicle collision.
The diminished $3k is of no concern if you do not sell your car. Maybe the octipi will live forever.

Old 04-12-2016, 02:29 PM

The diminished $3k is of no concern if you do not sell your car. Maybe the octipi will live forever.
I don't plan on selling my car but the thing that sucks is I now owe more on my car than its worth. So if something came up where I needed to sell my car for some reason, I would already be in the hole.

Old 04-12-2016, 04:27 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
ouch, sorry to see this octopy.

Old 04-12-2016, 04:47 PM
5 Year Member
I don't plan on selling my car but the thing that sucks is I now owe more on my car than its worth. So if something came up where I needed to sell my car for some reason, I would already be in the hole.
Did you get GAP insurance? If you did, that should protect you.

Old 04-12-2016, 05:37 PM
5 Year Member
I hit a (very large) raccoon with my '00 New Beetle a couple years after I bought it - did over $6,000 damage (I was really surprised they didn't total it, as that was nearly half its value at that point).

The body shop did a good job on the repairs (couldn't tell by looking), and I ended up keeping the car a total of 12+ years and 219,000 miles before I sold it at a premium over the going rate because I had kept it clean and in good shape all that time.

es

Old 04-12-2016, 05:43 PM
wow $48.00 and hour for labor.... in manitoba we are at $71.36, and heavy truck rate is $123.13.

too bad about your car, hope you're ok.

they may find additional damages once they start pulling the car apart, most likely rear body panel and floor will be compromised.

look at the roof and the roof pillars, i've seen damage travel through these areas, even on a light hit. these cars are designed so the impact force travels through the car and not through the passengers.

best of luck

Old 04-12-2016, 06:45 PM
5 Year Member
On an ironic note the IIHS has selected the F-150 Super Cab as the safest truck for 2016, the only 2016 truck selected as the top safety pick.

Old 04-12-2016, 07:38 PM
5 Year Member
Trucks really should require an extra difficult licensing procedure.

Old 04-12-2016, 07:56 PM
Originally Posted by mike410b
Trucks really should require an extra difficult licensing procedure.
I have always thought this, if I would have been hit by another small car there would be much less damage.

Old 04-12-2016, 07:58 PM
On an ironic note the IIHS has selected the F-150 Super Cab as the safest truck for 2016, the only 2016 truck selected as the top safety pick.
I actually got hit by a 2003 model which thankfully was small compared to modern trucks. Appraiser said if it was a modern truck it would have damaged my entire rear due to how high they are :/

Old 04-12-2016, 07:59 PM
Originally Posted by stembridge
I hit a (very large) raccoon with my '00 New Beetle a couple years after I bought it - did over $6,000 damage (I was really surprised they didn't total it, as that was nearly half its value at that point).

The body shop did a good job on the repairs (couldn't tell by looking), and I ended up keeping the car a total of 12+ years and 219,000 miles before I sold it at a premium over the going rate because I had kept it clean and in good shape all that time.

es
I never want to run into a raccoon that can do that much damage 0-0

Quick Reply: Fit vs Ford F-150 :(