3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

ex-l availability

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 10:24 PM
ex-l availability

Hi all, I'm considering getting a new Fit, I think I want to get the ex-l with leather, or at least get my hands on one so I can consider it. Unfortunately I went to the dealer and they didn't have any ex-l, and said there were no ex-l at the 15 or so closest dealerships, and that they weren't sure when/if they would get delivery of the ex-l again.

I'm in the DC area.

For what it's worth, the dealership had all 16 or so lx and ex models, all automatic, and I checked most of then and they were all assembled in Japan.

Anyone know what's up? Did Honda stop production of the ex-l? is it related to shifting assembly locations, or something else? do different parts of the country get different models?

Old 04-25-2016, 10:36 PM
I can't recall ever seeing an EX-L during my canvass at a number of dealerships in eastern North Carolina. I theorize the EX-L is the least purchased trim level, and therefore production of the EX-L reflects its lower demand.

Old 04-26-2016, 02:31 AM
I just got mine last week. I ordered it in February. They basically intercept the ones in transit. Up to 6 weeks these days...

Old 04-26-2016, 07:30 AM
5 Year Member
I've seen one. As far as I can tell, they're rarer than bigfoot sightings or unicorn poop.

Old 04-26-2016, 08:34 AM
5 Year Member
If you're willing to drive down to Fredericksburg, Pohanka has a blue EX-L:

New Fit EX-L w/Navigation for Sale - Pohanka Honda of Fredericksburg

Give them a call and see if they really do. I tried out the leather and wasn't too impressed by the quality. Would have been nice to get the heated seats and mirrors, but to me the extra cost didn't justify the pleather. Bought the EX and I've been satisfied. I have added the leather steering wheel cover and shift knob at least because the plastic steering wheel is really slippery.

Old 04-26-2016, 07:01 PM
I would stay away if possible. I have an EXL and I love my leather but its already flaking off in places around the stitching. I have 18k miles and am pretty dissapointed :/

Old 04-26-2016, 07:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Octopy
I would stay away if possible. I have an EXL and I love my leather but its already flaking off in places around the stitching. I have 18k miles and am pretty dissapointed :/
Sorry you're experiencing that. It makes me feel better about going with an EX and not the leather. After I bought, I had some buyers remorse and thought I should have gone with the leather since that was what I initially wanted.

Old 04-27-2016, 09:11 AM
5 Year Member
I would have liked to have the heated mirrors, mirror mounted turn signals, leather wrapped wheel and built-in navigation, but I'd have to give up my manual transmission, and I wasn't willing to do that.

Old 04-27-2016, 10:03 AM
5 Year Member
The GPS was not that great. It looks like something stuck at 2 decades ago. I much prefer running GPS through my phone using waze or google maps. Also running a Garmin and that's better than the built in as well. Map updates are free and at much greater frequency than the built in unit plus real time traffic info.

Old 04-27-2016, 12:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
If you're willing to drive down to Fredericksburg, Pohanka has a blue EX-L:

New Fit EX-L w/Navigation for Sale - Pohanka Honda of Fredericksburg

Give them a call and see if they really do. I tried out the leather and wasn't too impressed by the quality. Would have been nice to get the heated seats and mirrors, but to me the extra cost didn't justify the pleather. Bought the EX and I've been satisfied. I have added the leather steering wheel cover and shift knob at least because the plastic steering wheel is really slippery.
Does not surprise me Pohanka in Fredericksburg has one, and their prices are really competitive compared to all MD dealers on all Honda models.

Far as EX-L leather goes, fabric is a much smarter choice.

Old 04-27-2016, 02:40 PM
5 Year Member
my '15 EX-L is garage kept and home and at work.

Seat leather looks perfect but the steering wheel leather is starting to really look dry and is cracking, and the stitching is getting loose as well.

I just hit 12k miles.

My 08 Sport wheel still looked perfect after 6 years and 41k miles.

Old 04-27-2016, 03:22 PM
5 Year Member
I test drove an EX-L and absolutely hated the leather seats. Felt like sitting on a brick. I was uncomfortable after a 10 min. test drive; I can't imagine how I'd feel after a long trip. I got an LX with the cloth seats instead, and it's a world of difference. As always, your comfort may vary, but the leather seats were a dealbreaker for me.

Old 04-27-2016, 03:28 PM
In response to the original question, the EX-L is being produced only in Mexico, and since the HRV is selling well I doubt that we will be seeing much more than leftover EX-Ls

Frankly, if you want leather just get seat covers. They look as nice and when they get crappy you can just replace them. The Honda nav system is outdated and you're better off with a smartphone.

Old 04-27-2016, 03:32 PM
5 Year Member
Or do what I do, and use the Garmin. It fits perfectly against the small quarter window to my left. Mine even came with lifetime map updates.

Old 04-27-2016, 09:18 PM
Thanks for the responses.

The thing is I really like leather, both the seats and steering wheel. On the ex I was ok with the cloth seats, but didn't like the plastic steering wheel. And I realize I can get covers, but I've never seen any that are the same, I'd much rather just have the leather.

It's disappointing that both there is such limited availability of the ex-l and most people find the leather to wear fast or be uncomfortable. I still would like to try it myself though and may head down to fredericksburg sometime.

Maybe I will holdout till the next model year, and hope that they make more ex-ls, like maybe in japan with a different leather source. wishful thinking, I know.

Old 04-27-2016, 09:33 PM
5 Year Member
My guess is, just like the disappearing manual transmissions, the EX-L is likely to become even more scarce.

Old 04-28-2016, 12:15 AM
Oh, and I am Canadian, so I got "the works" :P EX-L Navi 6M, XM Radio and my favorite feature: Digital Climate Control.... so hot....

First 200 miles: very impressed by this car, other than the "usual defects" that people have been mentioning..

I really dig the 6M.. very smooth. I used to have a 2012 Civic SI until last week... and I'm still very impressed by the Fit's fun factor, and comparable optional features.

The ONLY thing this car is missing is torque.

Everyone says my car is "cute." I call it the successor to my previous Civic:

The 1993 Civic CX Hatchback.

And you should totally shop north of the border right now, and get the EX-L 6M for the price of an American EX Auto.

I agree that there is just not enough quality control on Honda cars anymore... they basically took what MADE them and threw it out the window by settling for Brand Power. It's sad to see automakers take this route. They want to be on top... yet they don't really realize that people don't SH*T money anymore.

$24,000 dollars for a car that will only live HALF the life my 1993 Civic CX Hatch did. It died (well ... the body died) in 2006 with a quarter million miles on the engine. That car was 9000 dollars brand new. Funny part is in the 1990's I was making 6 dollars per hour more than I am making now......

Enough about that...

Honda Fits even the most UNFIT.

Old 07-15-2016, 07:31 PM
I got a 2016 EX-L and I love having leather seats but I think this is a personal choice. For me I find it is much easier to clean and with a dog, cloth seats are not really an option. While the OEM leather quality isn't the greatest, I also didn't want to deal with getting them done in the aftermarket. I also like the heated seats which is nice during cold winters. I don't find the seats that hard but I'm sure over time these seats break in like any other car. I drove 8 hours on a road trip and had no issues. It's best to try it yourself and make your own decision since it will be based upon your comfort level. Everyone will have their own opinion and level of tolerance. Good luck!