3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Official: 2016 Honda Fit Produced in Both Mexico and Japan!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 01:07 PM
5 Year Member
Official: 2016 Honda Fit Produced in Both Mexico and Japan!!

Hey Guys and Gals,

We have officially received word that for the 2016 model year of the Fit, production will be divided between the Celaya, Mexico and the Yorii, Japan plants. The Yorii plant will produce approximately 40,000 units between September of 2015 and March of 2016, with the rest of being made in Mexico.

As a follow up to my 2015 Honda Fit Production post, no more 2015 Fits shall be made for the rest of the year. 2015 Fit availability is now based on what is currently at dealerships nationwide, along with the few units that are in-transit.

The change in production was made due to Honda's focus to make the HRV solely in its new Mexico plant. So those who always wanted a JDM Fit can thank its bigger cousin for the move.

I know some of you guys are curious if any changes to trims will be made for the 2016 model. As of right now, it appears that all LX, EX, EX-Ls will be the same, as well as Canadian trims for Fit.

Expect 2016 Fits, both North American and Japanese, to start arriving at dealerships on October.

I will try to keep this updated with any official (not rumored) news that is relevant for the 2016 Fit.

All the best!!

Old 05-15-2015, 02:14 PM
Wow! Now '16 Fit buyers will have to check the VIN numbers for that valuable "J". Perhaps the MX quality wasn't proving to be good enough for the US and Canadian markets.

The downside is that I now probably won't get my Fit until the '16 model year. White CVT LXs aren't that numerous as it is and if there is a possibility of getting a Japanese-made Fit I can bide my time.

With my luck they'll make the LX trim in Mexico and the upscale models in Japan.

Old 05-15-2015, 02:25 PM
Originally Posted by HondaGeek
I know some of you guys are curious if any changes to trims will be made for the 2016 model. As of right now, it appears that all LX, EX, EX-Ls will be the same, as well as Canadian trims for Fit.
All the best!!

WHAT?! No 6MT EX-L option in the US for 2016?! Such bull%^&!!

Old 05-15-2015, 04:25 PM
5 Year Member
This makes me reconsider my plan to buy next month. Thanks for the heads up.

Old 05-15-2015, 04:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GeorgeL
Wow! Now '16 Fit buyers will have to check the VIN numbers for that valuable "J". Perhaps the MX quality wasn't proving to be good enough for the US and Canadian markets.

The downside is that I now probably won't get my Fit until the '16 model year. White CVT LXs aren't that numerous as it is and if there is a possibility of getting a Japanese-made Fit I can bide my time.

With my luck they'll make the LX trim in Mexico and the upscale models in Japan.

The window sticker will tell you what country the car is made in.

Also, I noticed on a picture yesterday of an HR-V window sticker, both the engine and transmission were made in Japan (the HR-V was still assembled in Mexico).

There is hope for something from Japan GeorgeL!

This also may be argument to purchase an early release HR-V, as it is possible once mexico is all caught up, they will start producing the engine and transmissions.

Last edited by Vanguard; 05-15-2015 at 04:34 PM.
Old 05-15-2015, 05:47 PM
5 Year Member
Hey Guys and Gals,

So those who always wanted a JDM Fit can thank its bigger cousin for the move.
Its not a JDM Fit. Its a USDM Fit manufactured in Japan.

Sorry to nitpick.

Old 05-15-2015, 06:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by andre181
Its not a JDM Fit. Its a USDM Fit manufactured in Japan.

Sorry to nitpick.
No worries.

Technically, its a JDM Fit, which was then localized and produced for North America (USA, Canada and Mexico) a year after its Japan release, which is now going to be built in smaller percentages in Japan.

But I get it. It doesnt have the exterior, available AWD, etc, as the JDM model. Atleast we dont get the base 1.3L four though.

Im sure there are FitFreaks who would still want a USDM Fit made in Japan.

Old 05-15-2015, 06:31 PM
Super Moderator
I like this. By induction I bet that the new fit shuttle will have usdm front like before.

Old 05-15-2015, 06:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by xxryu139xx
I like this. By induction I bet that the new fit shuttle will have usdm front like before.
In the near future Honda does want to Globalize things more, so you never know. With the exception of JDM Kei cars, of course.

Old 05-15-2015, 07:02 PM
Super Moderator
In the near future Honda does want to Globalize things more, so you never know. With the exception of JDM Kei cars, of course.
not what i meant. fit shuttle would never launch here in the US. i meant +12 GE8 shares the same front end as the Fit Shuttle. We were able to use some JDM aftermarket parts for the Fit Shuttle to use on USDM Fits. With the production back in Japan and the new model Fit Shuttle is due soon, there's a good chance that the front end would be the same. So USDM GK owners have a good chance for using aftermarket parts for that.

Old 05-15-2015, 07:31 PM
5 Year Member
New (Fit) Shuttle already introduced in JDM:

ƒVƒƒƒgƒ‹ | Honda

Very different front end (thankfully). Did I misunderstand?

Old 05-15-2015, 07:40 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by exl500
New (Fit) Shuttle already introduced in JDM:

ƒVƒƒƒgƒ‹ | Honda

Very different front end (thankfully). Did I misunderstand?
ah its already out. thats too bad.

Old 05-15-2015, 09:53 PM
5 Year Member
Wait.... There is a JDM awd version?

My project list just got longer. /research mode

Edit: research mode ended after looking at a couple threads with estimated pricing.

Last edited by Superhatch; 05-16-2015 at 01:12 AM.
Old 05-16-2015, 05:05 AM
any chance that we will see the hybrid model here?

Old 05-16-2015, 08:19 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by eigenmeat
any chance that we will see the hybrid model here?
I would highly doubt. Especially with the recent drop in gas prices, Hybrid sales have fallen dramatically with every brand.

Old 05-16-2015, 02:33 PM
5 Year Member
Im sure there are FitFreaks who would still want a USDM Fit made in Japan.
yep, and this thread just threw out my purchase timetable ...

Old 05-16-2015, 02:41 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bach
yep, and this thread just threw out my purchase timetable ...
I knew this news would throw a curveball for many Fit buyers here, but one of my goals on FitFreak is to help/inform you guys as much as I can.

I guess it comes down to if you need a car now or can you wait until October.

The other side of the coin is that while many on the Honda forums will prefer a car made in Japan, the rest of America do not really care.

95% of all Hondas sold in the US are made in North America, with build quality better than almost all other brands. Grant it, the initial Fit release did have issues, which I saw on two cars early last year. Yet its been a long time since we have had any Fit customers come back with any concerns.

Some food for thought.

Old 05-16-2015, 07:43 PM
I have been lurking on the forum for a while. It has been a great source of info on the Fit. Both the good things and the bad.

I am looking to replace my 2000 Accord when it turns 15 in September(202k miles so far). If I go with a Fit, looks like I will need to wait another month or so until the 2016s show up.

Thanks for the heads up.

May be back later to see if anyone has recommendations on dealerships in St. Louis/St. Charles area.

Old 05-16-2015, 08:51 PM
5 Year Member
Hopefully Japan made Fit will continue into the future. I love my Japan made 2010 GE and will look into getting another Fit (GK) in a year or 2. Keep the sales up for the HRV so the Mexico plant will be busy!!!

Old 05-16-2015, 09:54 PM
Is it too much to hope that they will fix the arm rest height problem for 2016 Fit?

Quick Reply: Official: 2016 Honda Fit Produced in Both Mexico and Japan!!