3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Official: 2016 Honda Fit Produced in Both Mexico and Japan!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 04:51 AM
My Fit is proudly made in Mexico, not Japan. Who cares?! It's an economy car and besides, no matter what Honda will stand behind it.

Old 06-10-2015, 06:49 AM
Originally Posted by Wallygator
My Fit is proudly made in Mexico, not Japan. Who cares?!

.................I love my Fit.

Old 06-10-2015, 06:53 AM
5 Year Member
Didn't a Honda exec get in trouble (fired?) when the board investigated manufacturering issues....and Japanese plants were involved?

Anyways...my Mexican made Fit has been trouble free. Sure its only been 3.5 months but all is well.

Old 06-10-2015, 07:07 PM
Originally Posted by Evesowner
Didn't a Honda exec get in trouble (fired?) when the board investigated manufacturering issues....and Japanese plants were involved?
I believe that is true.

Now I ask, how many Honda execs have found themselves in troubled (fired?) due to the Mexican factory quality issues? None that I know of.

Lapses in quality are a very big deal when they occur in Honda's Japanese factories, not so much so in factories far from home.

Old 06-11-2015, 01:35 AM
Originally Posted by GeorgeL

Lapses in quality are a very big deal when they occur in Honda's Japanese factories, not so much so in factories far from home.

I don't believe that. Honda's reputation no matter where the car is made is a very big deal to Honda. Just because no one got fired doesn't mean no one got there butts chewed and weren't given warnings. There are going to be growing pains with a new plant no matter where it is. And again, no matter what, Honda will stand behind the car.

Would I rather have a Japanese model? Sure why not, but my car is a Mexican model so I don't really care, it's a Honda.

Old 06-11-2015, 03:25 PM
5 Year Member
Went by my dealer today to get replacement plastic screws for the under-engine cover (not in stock, natch). They had at least a dozen Fits on the lot. Didn't pay much attention to colors, tho.

es

Old 06-12-2015, 03:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
That would be my guess. If some '16 Fits will be coming in from Japan, it will probably be temporary until the Celaya plant ramps up to full production of both the Fit and the HRV. Honda is committed to producing both cars in Mexico, and, given their investment, there's no turning back.

automotive news shows so few Japanese fits that you could count them on one hand. there may be a lull in mex plant production as japan squares away the production but it will return.
the immigrants use of rail traffic doesn't help either..

Old 06-15-2015, 07:24 PM
Originally Posted by bsl888
The GK has been in production in Japan, I believe, since 2013. Also, those factories are not brand new like the Mexico plant.
AFAIK the Fit plant in Japan was brand new and started production in 2013.

Old 07-02-2015, 07:52 PM
October?

What happened to make them release so early?

Old 07-08-2015, 03:59 PM
OCTOBER release date ??

Did Jorge not get the memo???

===========================================

Expect 2016 Fits, both North American and Japanese, to start arriving at dealerships on October.

I will try to keep this updated with any official (not rumored) news that is relevant for the 2016 Fit.

All the best!!
201-529-5700 Ext: 1226
myhondageek@gmail.com

Old 07-17-2015, 08:17 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitfuture
I wanted a 2015 Fit. But with all the problems with the roll out and the quality concerns with it being made in Mexico I decided to wait. Now some will be made in Japan(funny I'm old enough to remember when that wasn't a good thing) and I wonder if the Mexico plant with a year under its belt might actually be more proficient than the ones that will come out of a new production in Japan?
When I talked to the Honda dealer, they told me the Fit production will be eventually shifted to Japan, so the HRV production can be ramped up to meet demand. Anybody hear anything on this?

Old 07-17-2015, 08:15 PM
Originally Posted by Reddogs
When I talked to the Honda dealer, they told me the Fit production will be eventually shifted to Japan, so the HRV production can be ramped up to meet demand. Anybody hear anything on this?
I think everything that is known is in this thread.

I'm waiting. It's less than three months to October.

Old 07-17-2015, 08:25 PM
Hello 1st time poster to suubscrib to this thread.

I'm in the market for a new Honda Fit and was researching the diff btwn '15 and '16 models. Thanks very much for this info. Definitely want a Japan-made model; it matters to me.

Replacing a POS 2005 VW TDI Golf.

Old 07-20-2015, 08:37 PM
''who cares'' The Honda fit is a sweet ride no matter what country it's manufactured in. As my great Grandma used always say it's only a car.

Old 07-22-2015, 06:47 AM
Originally Posted by Evesowner

Anyways...my Mexican made Fit has been trouble free. Sure its only been 3.5 months but all is well.
I have had my 2015 for 13 months now and not a single issue with it! I am very pleased!

Old 07-22-2015, 09:26 AM
Originally Posted by tmfit
I have had my 2015 for 13 months now and not a single issue with it! I am very pleased!
"Ditto" with me as well

Old 07-23-2015, 10:14 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SR45
"Ditto" with me as well
What both of them said ^^.

Last edited by exl500; 07-23-2015 at 10:20 AM.
Old 07-23-2015, 02:26 PM
5 Year Member
Another rumor: I had to go to the dealership this morning and wound up spending some time talking to the guy who sold me my Fit. When I asked about making Fits in Japan he said they already knew about it. He said the bosses in their Honda dealer group (not sure what that means) want to sell the Japanese builds much closer to MSRP than current Fits and are even considering loading them up with graphics packages and other add-ons to boost the price.

I said I thought that kind of sucked and he said he agreed but it was a business decision. He said GK5 sales so far have not met expectations and dealers are complaining. He said the bosses think the Japanese build will be more desirable and they plan to capitalize on that.

EDIT: Before you Jap fans get all flustered, I should add this is the same guy who told me in January that the Fits would have Android support before summer.

Last edited by bach; 07-23-2015 at 02:36 PM.
Old 07-23-2015, 04:35 PM
Originally Posted by bach
Another rumor: I had to go to the dealership this morning and wound up spending some time talking to the guy who sold me my Fit. When I asked about making Fits in Japan he said they already knew about it. He said the bosses in their Honda dealer group (not sure what that means) want to sell the Japanese builds much closer to MSRP than current Fits and are even considering loading them up with graphics packages and other add-ons to boost the price.

I said I thought that kind of sucked and he said he agreed but it was a business decision. He said GK5 sales so far have not met expectations and dealers are complaining. He said the bosses think the Japanese build will be more desirable and they plan to capitalize on that.

EDIT: Before you Jap fans get all flustered, I should add this is the same guy who told me in January that the Fits would have Android support before summer.
And, I bought a dodge charger in BLACK years before most of you were born, the dealer told me the color was the best and would get a better re-sale, but when I tried to sell it back a bit later, the dealer told me RED was better, and my black car was not, so go figure. Just saying, don't listen to the dealer.

Old 07-23-2015, 05:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bach
...He said GK5 sales so far have not met expectations and dealers are complaining...
I'm not surprised. I've seen very little Honda advertising in any media, and what I do see is CRV, Accord, Civic ads. Nothing for the Fit. Coupled with no pricing incentives and extremely tight supply, this must turn a lot of potential buyers off. The Fit may not even be on potential buyer's radar.

Quick Reply: Official: 2016 Honda Fit Produced in Both Mexico and Japan!!