3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Official: 2016 Honda Fit Produced in Both Mexico and Japan!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 12:56 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bossyman15
Is it too much to hope that they will fix the arm rest height problem for 2016 Fit?
Probably is.

Old 05-17-2015, 10:59 AM
5 Year Member
I wanted a 2015 Fit. But with all the problems with the roll out and the quality concerns with it being made in Mexico I decided to wait. Now some will be made in Japan(funny I'm old enough to remember when that wasn't a good thing) and I wonder if the Mexico plant with a year under its belt might actually be more proficient than the ones that will come out of a new production in Japan?

Old 05-17-2015, 03:45 PM
5 Year Member
The GK has been in production in Japan, I believe, since 2013. Also, those factories are not brand new like the Mexico plant.

Old 05-18-2015, 12:13 PM
Originally Posted by bsl888
...those factories are not brand new like the Mexico plant.
Honda has stated that the Mexican factory is less automated and depends more upon manual labor than their Japanese plants. The Japanese factories were retooled at the beginning of GK production.

I'd rather have a car built by a robot. Robots don't fudge tolerances, "bash to fit," or take cerveza breaks.

Old 05-22-2015, 03:45 AM
Quality issues

I can almost guarantee that the quality of the Japanese manufactured fit will be far superior to the Mexican built model. I have a 2015 Fit Ex and I've had numerous quality issues. These included: rear doors that aren't flush with front doors, gaps in the hood and quarter panels that are wider on one side than the other, dashboard alignment issues, dashboard rattles. Drivetrain was also making noise which the dealer took care of. May have to check into a Japanese made Fit to compare. If I knew that some of the Fits in 2016 were going to be made in Japan I probably would have waited.

Old 05-22-2015, 04:11 AM
This is why u never buy the 1st year of a new model. Honda then fixes all the bugs in the 1st year. Hopefully honda will have a more prolific 16'.

Old 05-22-2015, 08:43 PM
5 Year Member
Official: 2016 Honda Fit Produced in Both Mexico and Japan!!

Originally Posted by Desmond Lamar MacRae
This is why u never buy the 1st year of a new model. Honda then fixes all the bugs in the 1st year. Hopefully honda will have a more prolific 16'.

Well that is usually true for all makes and models.

But it wasn't expected that for Honda Fit 2016 that some of them would have "J" VINS- I know if I was a dealer- I would be just a bit less willing to negotiate more of those compared to "MX" VINS- since the informed buyers would not only be negotiating pricing but asking if the car they were purchasing was a "J" or "MX" VIN.

Old 05-25-2015, 04:18 PM
Just to make it clear, Mexican VINs start with the digit "3", not "MX".
Japanese VINs do start with "J".

I doubt that most buyers even question where their cars come from. Those of us who do are probably not too demonstrative about it because a desirable country of origin gives the dealer an additional excuse to negotiate a higher price. If you don' tell him you care about it it doesn't become a negotiating point.

Last edited by GeorgeL; 05-25-2015 at 04:20 PM.
Old 05-27-2015, 06:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GeorgeL
Just to make it clear, Mexican VINs start with the digit "3", not "MX".
Japanese VINs do start with "J".

I doubt that most buyers even question where their cars come from. Those of us who do are probably not too demonstrative about it because a desirable country of origin gives the dealer an additional excuse to negotiate a higher price. If you don' tell him you care about it it doesn't become a negotiating point.
Good advice.....just go in and look, but don't tell....

Old 05-27-2015, 11:48 PM
I just got my Jazz 1.5 RS registered and the chassis number starts with JHM. Confirmed made in Japan.

Old 05-28-2015, 09:40 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Virgo
I just got my Jazz 1.5 RS registered and the chassis number starts with JHM. Confirmed made in Japan.
But you're in Singapore. A different market.

Old 05-28-2015, 09:00 PM
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
But you're in Singapore. A different market.
Yes you're right. It'll be interesting to see if there are any differences for Fit/Jazz between the 2 countries. I will be very surprised if there are. May be some differences in accessories.

Old 05-29-2015, 05:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by HondaGeek
Hey Guys and Gals,

We have officially received word that for the 2016 model year of the Fit, production will be divided between the Celaya, Mexico and the Yorii, Japan plants. The Yorii plant will produce approximately 40,000 units between September of 2015 and March of 2016, with the rest of being made in Mexico.

As a follow up to my 2015 Honda Fit Production post, no more 2015 Fits shall be made for the rest of the year. 2015 Fit availability is now based on what is currently at dealerships nationwide, along with the few units that are in-transit.

The change in production was made due to Honda's focus to make the HRV solely in its new Mexico plant. So those who always wanted a JDM Fit can thank its bigger cousin for the move.

I know some of you guyan. Thai yupplies Asis are curious if any changes to trims will be made for the 2016 model. As of right now, it appears that all LX, EX, EX-Ls will be the same, as well as Canadian trims for Fit.

Expect 2016 Fits, both North American and Japanese, to start arriving at dealerships on October.

I will try to keep this updated with any official (not rumored) news that is relevant for the 2016 Fit.

All the best!!
its always been officvial that the Mexican plant supplies north America and the Japanese plant Japan. Thai Asia. except for the period of quality problems at the Maxican plant North America gets nothing but Mexican output. check automotive news production data once a month.
and British plant much of Europe.

Old 05-31-2015, 02:43 AM
Hmmm, 40K units from Japan in 6 months. That's a sizable sum, more than half of the Celaya output for the US for the same period.

Maybe the Japanese production is just to cover the shortfall while Celaya is ramping up the HRV. The early production '16s might end up as the last Japanese Fits available in the US.

Old 05-31-2015, 07:22 AM
5 Year Member
Hmmm, 40K units from Japan in 6 months. That's a sizable sum, more than half of the Celaya output for the US for the same period.

Maybe the Japanese production is just to cover the shortfall while Celaya is ramping up the HRV. The early production '16s might end up as the last Japanese Fits available in the US.

That would be my guess. If some '16 Fits will be coming in from Japan, it will probably be temporary until the Celaya plant ramps up to full production of both the Fit and the HRV. Honda is committed to producing both cars in Mexico, and, given their investment, there's no turning back.

Old 06-09-2015, 01:00 AM
Over the last weeks I note that the supply of Fits at my local dealers does seem to be drying up.

Old 06-09-2015, 07:02 AM
5 Year Member
Over the last weeks I note that the supply of Fits at my local dealers does seem to be drying up.
We are down to our last 5 until October

Old 06-09-2015, 08:29 AM
5 Year Member
My local dealer still has about a half dozen Fits on the lot, including a white EX CVT that arrived last week.

Interestingly, they've had only one blue and one red car all year, and no yellow or purple at all to the best of my knowledge (and I've been looking). Their entire inventory seems to be black, white and gray (silver).

Old 06-09-2015, 09:38 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
My local dealer still has about a half dozen Fits on the lot, including a white EX CVT that arrived last week.

Interestingly, they've had only one blue and one red car all year, and no yellow or purple at all to the best of my knowledge (and I've been looking). Their entire inventory seems to be black, white and gray (silver).
Colors have varied by region, but I do know that Passion Berry was a very low build percentage.
Yellow we received plenty of. Blue was so so.

Old 06-09-2015, 08:13 PM
5 Year Member

Yeah, it's a God damned shame they will either be a CVT or a 6 speed manual that still lacks a true ovedrive ratio. I'd be happy to buy a '16 J VIN Fit with a conventional 6 speed auto or a 6 speed manual with a decent overdrive ratio, and we all know that's not happenin'. I've had several vehicles after my '09 GE Fit got totaled in 2011, but none I've enjoyed more.

Last edited by badself; 06-09-2015 at 08:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Official: 2016 Honda Fit Produced in Both Mexico and Japan!!