3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Help! 2500 Mile 2016 Honda Fit EX with CVT, Weird noise.

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 06:19 PM
5 Year Member
When you are at the dealer, ask to start up a another Fit they have available. See if it makes the same noise you're hearing in your car. If it does, you know it's "normal". If not, you have something the techs can use as a comparison in solving your problem. Good luck.

Old 05-09-2016, 06:59 PM
Update 05/09/16

So I brought my Fit to the last dealer I went to.

I pulled up and talked to the Service rep and asked if they could grab another Fit EX w/ CVT off their lot. They brought up a Red EX CVT, I sat in it and started it up. At a dead stop in park the engine/transmission felt very smooth. I put it into reverse, paused about 3 seconds. No noise, No vibration. I put it into neutral, paused about 3 seconds. Nothing. I put it into Drive, paused 3 seconds. Nothing. Put it in S, paused, nothing. Then I went up the gears from S to Park. Nothing. I decided to go on a test drive with the Red Fit with a Honda employee to see if I can replicate the vibration/noise with the employee in the Red Fit. I drove about 1.5 miles, mostly slow and creeping around the area. did a couple of hard stops. And nothing from the red fit. However, the red fit i did test would make static come out of the stereo when I would break... idk lol. But it for sure didn't make the noise/vibration i was hearing in my car. So i parked it back into the service drive way.

I informed the techs I didnt feel anything like what was happening in my car. But I decided to leave the car with them anyway to let them test drive it with other techs to see if they could get the car to do what I was feeling. I waited about 1 hour - 1 1/2 hours. the honda service rep said they couldnt find/feel anything, and suggested i sit in the car, drive it with the tech who was responsible for my work order in the car to see if we could get something... I explained to the tech when, what i was doing when the vibration/noise would come on. We did some stop and goes, went over some bumps. Nothing.

I got a copy of the work order so I have some sort of official honda document stating i came in at 3400 miles with a vibration/noise complaint. I told the techs Ill take it in once it comes back... but this is a very RANDOM vibration/noise that isn't consistent with temperature or time of day...

I'm happy with the service i got at the dealership, but am a little displeased with this intermittent Quality issue with my fit... other than this random noise/vibration the car is 100%...

Can anyone here put their car in Reverse and/or Drive and then let the car pull itself maybe like 5 feet, dont gas it, just slowly let off the pedal and let the car creep. If there is something, you should feel a pulsing vibration through the driver seat, it shouldnt be violent, but noticeably not smooth, and it'll come with a kind of hum/howl that parallels the vibration. so as the car increases in vibration the howl/hum will be more noticeable as well...

I drove the car from the dealership back to my home and it didn't act up at all during that trip. So, ill wait this week to see what it brings :[

---- 05/09/16 730pm - 800pm Vibration/noise faintly appears then disappears.
---- 05/10/16 I've been leaving the Auto Switch for the headlights in the on Position since I've owned the car. I'll leave them in the off position and manually turn them on when I need them. Maybe the electrical on my fit is a touchy?
----- 05/11/16 the car is like in this limbo of wanting to vibrate and not. Also the hum/howl i hear which compliments the vibration is definitly apparent when i come to a slow/hard stop. Taking off from a stop the hum/howl is there... The hum/howl is coming from the Driver side, front of car. I will be taking in the car again this coming monday. Third time.

Last edited by csb101; 05-11-2016 at 06:08 PM.
Old 05-12-2016, 03:11 PM
Originally Posted by csb101
So I brought my Fit to the last dealer I went to.

---- 05/09/16 730pm - 800pm Vibration/noise faintly appears then disappears.
---- 05/10/16 I've been leaving the Auto Switch for the headlights in the on Position since I've owned the car. I'll leave them in the off position and manually turn them on when I need them. Maybe the electrical on my fit is a touchy?
----- 05/11/16 the car is like in this limbo of wanting to vibrate and not. Also the hum/howl i hear which compliments the vibration is definitly apparent when i come to a slow/hard stop. Taking off from a stop the hum/howl is there... The hum/howl is coming from the Driver side, front of car. I will be taking in the car again this coming monday. Third time.
---- 05/12/16 I am going to take my car in today after work. There is still a very subtle, intermitent hum/howl and vibration. It's especially noticeable coming to a hard stop. and taking off from a stop. Will update after the visit. Anyone else going through or noticing anything I'm noticing.

Old 05-12-2016, 03:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by csb101
intermittent hum/howl and vibration . . .
The best way to fix ANY intermittent problem is to let it get bad enough that it is easy to reproduce. This greatly simplifies the troubleshooting process. It is now a matter of record with your dealer since you had it in their shop. If it takes a while to fully develop the problem, as a warrantee matter, they should reference the first date you brought it in.

Old 05-12-2016, 03:36 PM
Originally Posted by Press Fit
The best way to fix ANY intermittent problem is to let it get bad enough that it is easy to reproduce. This greatly simplifies the troubleshooting process. It is now a matter of record with your dealer since you had it in their shop. If it takes a while to fully develop the problem, as a warrantee matter, they should reference the first date you brought it in.
I agree. So I have been driving it a little bit harder than I normally would. And I'm finding at fairly hard stops, the hum/howl and vibration appears then disappears within... 2-3 seconds of me coming to a stop then sorta reappaears when i creep forward... its actually becoming more regular then it was... a sign of it naturally getting worse maybe? ill be sure to make sure the car is doing what I'm hearing and feeling before I take it into the dealership...

Old 05-12-2016, 03:42 PM
You check your rotor or tires? Warp rotor vibrate when stopping.

Old 05-12-2016, 03:48 PM
Originally Posted by BrucesFit
You check your rotor or tires? Warp rotor vibrate when stopping.
Warped rotor vibration, from my knowledge, will pulse into the brake pedal when applied for braking.... I'm not feeling any type of vibration in the pedal. The vibration im feeling is coming from the engine bay. Thank you for suggesting though, ill double check just to make sure.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:52 PM
Update 05/12/16

So i took my fit into the dealer after work. I drove it around the dealer area for about 10-15 minutes before I brought it in to see if I could make symptoms the car had more noticeable. I was sorta able to do it, but it was feint. I parked the car and spoke with the porter, he remembered me from the last time, he grabbed the service rep (a different one from last time) we spoke and I explained to her what I was feeling with the car. She said she would get a tech to ride with me in my car like last time. I waited, tech came, went to my car, he sat in the driver seat I sat in the passenger, i told him what the symptoms were, we drove it around. None of the symptoms showed, but before we finished the road test, I told him to stop the car, creep a little and then stop again. And then I described to him what would happen in that scenario and what I was getting from the car. I mentioned to him that Honda did have a huge recall on the Fit about its transmission, and I did tell him I checked my VIN on the website to see if anything popped up, and nothing came up. He told me he would double check the software and see if there was anything. He said it would take about 30 mins to check. I came back in 30 mins and the Service rep told me my car did need an update! sOOOOOOO... lol... i was sorta happy because I knew something was wrong, and I wasnt crazy hah. But sorta upset because, how did that get by QC? Anyway, they said they updated it, i drove it about 10 miles, i did some gradual to hard stops around my area. The car wasn't showing any signs of what I was feeling before. Ill keep watching the car for the next week to really make sure, but the car feels solid now.

Old 05-23-2016, 09:44 PM
Update: 05/23/2016

SO! the noise and vibration came back. But instead of taking it to a dealership i decided to go with my gut intuition and do a full 8 (technically 6 quart, but you cant buy half quarts) quart drain and fill of the transmission with brand new HCF-2 from the dealership. Ran me 108 dollars in total. I did all the labor. After about 3 hours. I was done.

I'm currently at 4200 miles on my 2016 EX GK5. Piece of advice to all new car owners. IMMEDIATELY REPLACE TRANSMISSION AND ENGINE FLUID. Both of mine came out brown with very small metallic debris in them. I dont know what they put in their new cars when they roll off the manufacturing lot, but it must be replaced ASAP. Unless there is some sort of specialty instructions, REPLACE ASAP.

So far after an 8 quart flush my car feels 90% better. the vibration is almost entirely eliminated, and the low hum/howl during engagement in Park, Reverse, and Drive is nearly nonexistent. I was told and experienced myself that the best way to flush a transmission is to do it at least 3 - 4 times. I plan on doing another flush at 10k miles when i change the engine oil as well..

Please! if you have NEVER replaced your transmission fluid do it SOONER than LATER, you will not regret it!

If no one has done a write up on how to do a CVT fluid flush for a 2016 Honda Fit, ill do a write up later. But so far its worth the 108 dollars, the results and peace of mind.

I do plan on following up with a complaint to honda about what I've experienced. I know it wont go far being I dont have the oil anymore for proof. I just want them to know this was a piss poor quality control job of the fluids in my car and hopefully get some sort of reimbursement for the 180 dollars i had to spend extra outside of the warranty because dealership were either being willfully negligent or just oblivious.

Last edited by csb101; 05-24-2016 at 01:01 AM.