3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Our new 2016 Fit EX-L Navi

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 10:25 AM
5 Year Member
Our new 2016 Fit EX-L Navi

We've always been a two car family - I drive something in a midsize sedan, my wife drives something more compact. After a string of Civics and one Corolla, my wife changed gears slightly in 2009 and settled on a Honda Fit Sport - which we have both enjoyed greatly since then.

Recently, my wife received one of those letters from the dealership to the effect of “We NEED your trade-in! We have TREMENDOUS offers available TODAY on any Honda you might possibly be considering!!”

I explained that the letter was 95% fertilizer by content, but that as we were (then) at month end and she had been contemplating upgrading to the new Fit, it certainly couldn’t hurt to take a look. She nodded agreeably and then still carefully folded the invitation letter and stuffed it in her purse. Okay, whatevs…

To Honda’s credit, there was something of a private sale event in place. What with balloons, sandwiches and all the pop and coffee you could consume. We’re not talking Lexus suck-up level here, but the ham and salami sub was surprisingly good (it’s all about the mustard, people).

The salesman offered to take us out on a test drive of the new fully decked out Fit in manual form (they actually had more than one in stock – wonder of wonders). I counter-offered that we would take the Fit out for a test drive while he got to work coming up with an offer on our trade that wouldn’t make me laugh out loud and choke on my ham and salami sub.

10 minutes into the test drive, I knew we were getting the car. I spent the remaining 15 minutes instructing my wife on wiping the giddy I’m-so-smitten grin from her face so that we could retain something resembling a credible bargaining position.

To my relief, she actually managed to present as an interested buyer who would nonetheless walk away if the deal wasn’t right.

And the negotiation went very well. They weren’t giving the Fit away – hey, there’s surprisingly little margin on the car – even the loaded version – but we got a reasonable discount on list, and more importantly, a number we could live with on the trade in.

So how is the new car better than the old? Our impressions so far:

1) Interior space. Stepping into the old Fit was always something of a holy cow through-the-looking-glass moment for the uninitiated. I was quite unprepared to relive that experience in the new ride but holy cow, they actually made it smaller outside and even bigger inside. Crazy that there is now actually more rear seat legroom than in an Accord. And of course, the advanced Kung Fu practiced by the “magic” rear seats means that the ridiculous cargo versatility remains.

2) Interior quality. The previous car was entirely functional but rather Spartan in its interior appointments. The new one reeks of Acura. An almost astonishingly clean dash with very upscale looking displays greets the driver. The seats feel just as supportive, but more softly padded. Contrast stitching on the leather seats adds a nice upscale touch. As does, y’know, having leather seats.

3) Tech. The days when all the good toys were reserved for the flagship vehicles are thankfully past. The Fit comes with pretty much every available option open to Civic and Accord buyers. The blindspot camera that shows what’s over your right shoulder when the turn signal is engaged is a nice touch. Best remember to clear your left blind spot the old-fashioned way, though. Integrated Nav is a welcome addition, as are satellite radio and heated seats.

4) Engine. Still a diminutive 1.5l, but now with direct injection it hits the daily double for being both more powerful AND more fuel efficient than the outgoing mill. And it’s just as rev-happy, if slightly less raucous.

5) Ride. The Fit has matured for this generation and by that I don’t mean an expanding waistline and receding hairline. While the old car was wonderfully tossable, it was less wonderfully jittery and bouncy over broken pavement. Or what we generically call “roads”. The new one is no limo, but noticeably smoother over the craptastic asphalt. And if the hackneyed go-kart comparison is perhaps slightly less apt, the new car is still a blast to drive. Exhibit a: the giddy I’m-so-smitten grin on my wife’s face.

What’s more or less the same?

1) Gear shift. On the one hand it may be just ever so slightly softer and less rifle-bolt in feel, but on the other hand it offers more gears to play with, but on the third hand they didn’t make the gearing any taller overall so it still revs like crazy on the freeway, but on the fourth hand the throws are noticeably shorter. We’ll call that a net push.

What’s not as good?

1) Seat up cargo volume. Some of that amazing extra leg room came from moving the rear seats back, resulting in a bit less seat-up cargo space. But as there is still more space back there than in most midsize sedans, I shall shed few tears over the loss.

2) The unbearable knoblessness of being. Yeah, I get that this is a trend, but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t suck. Touchscreen PLUS redundant knobs / switches represent the best existing solution to the ergonomic interface question.

Bottom line?

They took an exceptional and unique entry in the subcompact class and made it even better. A lot better.

Old 05-10-2016, 06:35 AM
5 Year Member
Nice photos! Congratulations on your new purchase. As a repeat customer your impressions are valued. The photo of the nav system makes me wish I had given more consideration of the EX-L trim level.

Old 05-10-2016, 07:28 AM
5 Year Member
Wow, an EX-L Navi with a manual. I am seriously jealous, and ticked off that we can't get that combination here in the states.

Old 05-10-2016, 10:16 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
Wow, an EX-L Navi with a manual. I am seriously jealous, and ticked off that we can't get that combination here in the states.
From what people have been posting lately, I'm starting to think we were lucky to get a manual at all.

Old 05-10-2016, 02:44 PM
Congrats on your new ride fellow Canuck!

Old 05-10-2016, 07:43 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks guys. AJ - I used to live up Markham way.

Old 05-10-2016, 11:25 PM
Great pics.

I was about 30 seconds into the test drive when I knew I had to buy the car.

And yes, the manual is so sweet.

Old 05-11-2016, 02:02 PM
What ex-l with manual, i want. Why we american cant get one?

Old 05-15-2016, 04:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BrucesFit
What ex-l with manual, i want. Why we american cant get one?
Because American lazy and shiftless, won't shift for themselves and don't give a shift!

Old 05-16-2016, 03:37 PM
5 Year Member
Manuals are in such rapid decline in North America that I seriously wonder if we will be able to get one anywhere next time around. Sad state of affairs.

Old 05-16-2016, 07:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Jaeger
Manuals are in such rapid decline in North America that I seriously wonder if we will be able to get one anywhere next time around. Sad state of affairs.
Manual transmissions seem to still be in some demand in Canada and Mexico. Both are part of "North America".

Old 05-17-2016, 01:01 PM
5 Year Member
Awesome pics. Enjoy it - I know I have!

Old 05-17-2016, 06:27 PM
5 Year Member
I felt much the same as you when I first got my 2016 fit. However, it's 5k kilometers down the road, and some things I've noticed that are different from my first generation fit.

* I miss the CVT. The manual (mine is a 5 speed) makes it fun when you want driving to be fun, but if I'm just trying to get to work, I could do with less fun and less busyness.

* I miss the CVT. Because it's a manual, I have to move a bit further forward than I like to make shifting easier. This makes it uncomfortable on my right leg. Maybe a cushion will help....

* "the unbearable knoblessness of being" is a funny way of putting it, but compared to my first gen fit, I'm really missing having the knobs. The touch screen for the sat nav coupled with the touch screen for the heater/AC makes me long for the days of knobs and buttons and...

* a frickin' key would be nice! The start button is cute, but I had to call my wife so she could drive to work to bring my key because I started it in the morning, and then went back in the house and left the keyless smart non-key thingie at home. Drove all the way to work until I finally noticed a warning light flashing something that goes "you forgot your key, you idiot!"

* The dash is a dust magnet! All that beautiful black touch screen goodness needs to be dusted on a daily basis.

the lack of steering wheel knobs is a story in itself, but it started with me telling the sales dude that I didn't need a rearview camera, and he took that to mean I didn't need all those other controls.

Old 05-17-2016, 07:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
Manual transmissions seem to still be in some demand in Canada and Mexico. Both are part of "North America".
I can't speak to Mexico, but the demand here in Canada is dropping like a stone and has been for some time. It might be a bit better than in the States but it's kind of like arguing about which is the tallest of the 7 dwarfs.

Old 05-17-2016, 07:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Belch

* "the unbearable knoblessness of being" is a funny way of putting it, but compared to my first gen fit, I'm really missing having the knobs. The touch screen for the sat nav coupled with the touch screen for the heater/AC makes me long for the days of knobs and buttons and...
The one knob I really miss is the volume knob - the touchscreen volume adjustment is pretty fiddly. Thankfully, the redundant steering wheel volume adjustment works quite well.

* a frickin' key would be nice! The start button is cute, but I had to call my wife so she could drive to work to bring my key because I started it in the morning, and then went back in the house and left the keyless smart non-key thingie at home. Drove all the way to work until I finally noticed a warning light flashing something that goes "you forgot your key, you idiot!"
Can't say I miss the key. Haven't had one in my last three cars. I don't leave the car running unattended so your particular circumstance wouldn't apply to me.

* The dash is a dust magnet! All that beautiful black touch screen goodness needs to be dusted on a daily basis.
This is very true. I bought my wife a couple small microfiber cloths to keep in the glove box and center armrest - she's going to need them. And speaking of that armrest, it would be nice if it were raised high enough so that you actually could rest your arm on it.

Old 05-17-2016, 07:26 PM
5 Year Member
This is very true. I bought my wife a couple small microfiber cloths to keep in the glove box and center armrest - she's going to need them. And speaking of that armrest, it would be nice if it were raised high enough so that you actually could rest your arm on it.
I have the proper armrest (you can see part of it in the pic, and with an automatic transmission, it would be perfect. However with a manual, I have to lift it up out of the way because my forearm rubs against it while shifting.

It's good for freeway driving or just sitting in bumper-to-bumper traffic, but not when you have to go first, second, third, brake for the red light, first second, brake, wait..

Old 05-18-2016, 12:30 AM
5 Year Member
Congrats on your purchase and I hope you enjoy it!

Admittedly, I am a little envious of your Fit... I was longing for a EX-L 6 Speed myself but they don't offer them AT ALL for the US (It was either this or the RS... which isn't available here either). So I settled on a CR-Z... >.>

Old 05-18-2016, 12:25 PM
5 Year Member

the lack of steering wheel knobs is a story in itself, but it started with me telling the sales dude that I didn't need a rearview camera, and he took that to mean I didn't need all those other controls.
The lowest end 2015/2016 Fit here in Canada also has no steering wheel controls. Did you custom order this, or does the JDM Fit come with steering wheel controls? How do you change the volume while driving?

Old 05-18-2016, 04:25 PM
5 Year Member
I keep a Swiffer in my cargo area and a micro fibre cloth in the console for that purpose too. When I got my car detailed at the dealership (it was free), they used some kind of shiny stuff on the dash that I need to find. I don't know if it was just a typical indoor cleaner, but it repelled dust for weeks after that.

Old 05-18-2016, 06:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TorontoBoy
The lowest end 2015/2016 Fit here in Canada also has no steering wheel controls. Did you custom order this, or does the JDM Fit come with steering wheel controls? How do you change the volume while driving?
It was a custom order that I didn't really order. I told the salesman that I didn't see the use for a backup camera since my wife's car has one, and the times I've driven hers, I never used it. He didn't tell me that the controls are part of the backup camera package.

Installing the steering wheel controls is an easy fix that costs around 6,000 yen the next time I take it in for service, so no biggie.

For controlling the volume, there are two buttons on the bottom of the internavi unit that do the trick. It's a much different unit from the ones installed in the north american fits, which from what I hear from you guys has a rather indelicate slider on the side.

Quick Reply: Our new 2016 Fit EX-L Navi