3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Sold 2015 fit !! Warning !!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 11:31 AM
Sold 2015 fit !! Warning !!

Hi All,

My 2015 Fit was traded in due to mechanical failure. (117,316 miles).

The past month I've felt like the engine was missing at speeds under 45 mph.

The engine warning light came on and I took it the Honda dealership.

They hooked it up to the onboard diagnostic computer and told me that there were oxygen sensors that were bad.

And . . . THE CATALYTIC CONVERTER WAS SHOT AND HAD TO BE REPLACED !!!

Before I get on with the story, I purchased a $1200 extended 120,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty from Honda.

I never ever by anything with the extended warranty but decided to do this because it was a first year production model and I was worried about the crappy info screen, radio, cameras, etc., etc.

Back to the catalytic converter. The dealer quoted me a replacement price of between $1600 - $1800. They also said that my extended warranty did not cover the converter.

Outraged, I called Honda and they verified that the converter is guaranteed for only 80k.

Thanks Honda. Glad you took my $1,200.00 for the bumper to bumper coverage.

(BTW) I changed my avatar to a pix of the odometer at 111,111 miles on 5-13-16.

After owning 3 FITs my advice would be to stay away from the 2015 model.

Hope this post saves someone else from getting burned by Honda.

They probably don't care what with their air bags failing. They've got bigger fish to fry.

Old 05-13-2016, 11:52 AM
5 Year Member
Uhhhnn I feel sick both for you and the rest of us. Why won't Honda stand up for their product? What is the use of the extended warranty?

Old 05-13-2016, 12:18 PM
5 Year Member
I made the same mistake with Chrysler years ago and got the same story. I haven't bought an extended warranty since and haven't regretted the decision.

So far I haven't had any issues with my Fit and I hope it stays that way.

Old 05-13-2016, 12:26 PM
5 Year Member
The warranty clearly lists what's covered. Read it thoroughly before buying the warranty.

Old 05-13-2016, 01:05 PM
5 Year Member
Exhaust pipes, mufflers, and CCs are considered wear items; they are expected to wear out and be replaced during the life of the car. So they are excluded, as are brakes and wipers and other items expected to wear out.

Every Honda "bumper to bumper" warranty has a clear list of what's excluded. You should have read the list of exclusions. No free brakes, wipers, exhaust pipes, spark plugs, catalytic converters, and much more. Once you've bought the warranty, you can't just arbitrarily add excluded items to it.

Old 05-13-2016, 02:04 PM
5 Year Member
How is a clogged cat mechanical failure? Did the honeycomb inside the cat break apart and get reverse sucked back into the motor to cause it to blow?

Old 05-13-2016, 03:41 PM
Anybody that thinks that the cat converter should be expected to wear out at 80k I think is being unreasonable.

We routinely drive on average of 65-110k miles on our vehicles on a yearly basis.

On a variety of passenger vehicles.

I've been in business since 1997 and THIS IS THE ONLY CATALYTIC CONVERTER THAT HAD TO BE REPLACED !!

Buyer beware. Just saying.

Old 05-13-2016, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator
i suppose my 2000 accord had the cat changed at around 170k

Old 05-13-2016, 05:01 PM
this is why im hoping the aftermarket community starts building more exhaust systems, this way when my cat fails, i can go aftermarket...

Old 05-13-2016, 06:05 PM
Sounds to me like he could have a GDI carbon issue and the hot burning clumps of carbon broke loss and did a hot burning plasma ball bullet into the cat converter and started a hot spot and started to melt and sealing up the cat.

This is one reason why I am not getting a new Fit. I am waiting till the new 2020 come outand hopefully they have the CVT and the GDI figured out by then. Not to mention the totally WEAK air conditioning in my 2015 Fit air bag loaner. I thought my 2009 was bad, MINUS another 30% and you have my 2015 Fit loaner air con. Honda is really sliding in quality. I may have to go to Hyundai. My wife's Elantra GT 2013 AC blows you out of the car at 30 degs. The 2014 and above has GDI and a 2.0 liter with bad mileage though. Crap.

Last edited by Mainia; 05-14-2016 at 02:56 PM.
Old 05-13-2016, 06:10 PM
5 Year Member
My 1994 Jeep went through 3 cats under warrantee, when the 4th one failed at 38K miles and was not covered by chrysler I put a custom exhaust with a random tech cat on, 200K miles later its still going.. Oh yea and I replaced the fried O2 sensor at the time when they kept saying "its not reading an error code" so we can't replace the sensor.

YMMV!

Old 05-13-2016, 07:29 PM
I just bought Honda Care for my new Fit and read all of the exclusions before purchasing.

It is always wise to do so.

Old 05-13-2016, 07:36 PM
I just got off the phone with Honda and told them I was a month or two away from buying a 2016 or waiting too see what little bit changes on 2017 to see which one I wanted. But TOO MUCH is wrong with the new Fit to buy one.

Reason I gave to customer service.

1) Not a beefy enough CVT. I don't think it can handle any long term aggressive driving like their old ATF pumper border line can. CVT fix $6,000, 2009 AFT pumper fix $3,000.

2) I did not want to gamble with GDI carbon build up. It has not yet been figured out by all manufacture except Lexus with and added before the valve injector. So 8 injectors for a 4 cylinder engine. I am not paying $700 to $800 to pull the intake manifold and spray walnut shells to clean it out. ( I will buy my own unit and do it myself if I have too.Ill just make my own in fact.) But it is the principle of it.

3) Everyone seems to have thin paint issues. My 2009 Fit's roof is rusting in 8 spots, still don't know if Honda will cover it. They WON"T fix it right. all the rust spots are "pin holed" all the way through , so if they grind and fix it will be right back in 2 years. It needs to be drilled out and welded in.

4) My 2015 Fit airbag loaner car air cond. and heater is 30% less effective then my borderline 2009 Honda Fit. That was the camel that broke the deal on me.

Slowly everything is degrading with Honda, I have a 2 stage snowblower and Honda lawnmower. I see major design flaws that I see people have issue with because Honda designs something seems to always design it to just barely hold up and then finds a way to skim $5 per car off of that design to save money. Their automatic transmissions have all seemed to be that way.

I told the lady that the Fit CVT is very small. Build it 30% larger say the size of the Accord CVT and call it a day. That would solve the borderline robustness that always seems to be designed in every ATF pumper Honda has ever made and I bet what they are doing with the CVT. "Honda..... barely good enough"

I also told the lady my A/C on my 2009 just barely works ( works same as day one, it is all up to specs). It is the just barley design Honda is known for at least from me. Then my airbag loaner 2015 Fit is 30% less effective as is the 30% heater. My wifes 2013 Elantra GT will freeze and bake you out in 5 minutes. WHY CAN'T HONDA DO THIS!!!!

That is what lost me I will wait till the 2020 new version and if is degrading even more as Honda seems to be doing across all their products I will have to switch brands. Hyundai keeps doing better and bettering themselves as we see they are rated better then Honda's now.

Last edited by Mainia; 05-14-2016 at 02:59 PM.
Old 05-13-2016, 09:13 PM
5 Year Member
Harry,
Out of curiosity what did you decide to trade it in on? I'm with some of the comments on this thread. I love my 2009 fit, but from what I've read about some of the new models ie new Fit, Pilots, Civic, the quality is going down and there are increased issues.

Old 05-13-2016, 09:45 PM
5 Year Member
How many miles were trouble-free? Most cars start needing something or other after 100k miles.

Old 05-14-2016, 12:37 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Buck Fitty
Exhaust pipes, mufflers, and CCs are considered wear items; they are expected to wear out and be replaced during the life of the car. So they are excluded, as are brakes and wipers and other items expected to wear out.

Every Honda "bumper to bumper" warranty has a clear list of what's excluded. You should have read the list of exclusions. No free brakes, wipers, exhaust pipes, spark plugs, catalytic converters, and much more. Once you've bought the warranty, you can't just arbitrarily add excluded items to it.

My gas tank is almost empty, and the roof got wet last time it rained here. Honda needs to get with it on quality!

Originally Posted by Mainia
1) Not a beefy enough CVT. I don't think it can handle any long term aggressive driving like their old ATF pumper border line can.

I told the lady that the Fit CVT is very small. Build it 30% larger say the size of the Accord CVT and call it a day. That would solve the borderline robustness that always seems to be designed in every ATF pumper Honda has ever made and I bet what they are doing with the CVT. "Honda..... barely good enough"
CVT FTL. Even a regular AT, pathetic as it is, provides something more closely resembling a mechanical link between the engine and the wheels. For real spirited driving, try having a real link between them. As to the AC, it's the smallest, cheapest car they make, and it's built for fuel efficiency. Better, stronger, more fuel sucking AC systems are available in better, stronger, more fuel sucking cars. If you can be honest with yourself about what you want, buy one of them.

Old 05-14-2016, 09:54 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by patm95
Harry,
Out of curiosity what did you decide to trade it in on? I'm with some of the comments on this thread. I love my 2009 fit, but from what I've read about some of the new models ie new Fit, Pilots, Civic, the quality is going down and there are increased issues.
Don't forget millennials. They whine a lot!

just kidding though...my 2010 is rock solid but my impression is that the new one is worse too.

Old 05-14-2016, 11:37 AM
Originally Posted by patm95
Harry,
I traded the Fit for a 2015 Kia Sportage.

It was a dealer demo, had barely 5k miles and so far I am really liking it.

BUT . . . not surprisingly, I am avg. 29.7 mpg. A far cry from the 39 mpg I've been used to on the 3 Fits I've owned.

I knew that going into the deal, but decided that I could afford to trade more comfort for less mpg.

And, I must say, all the comments about the a/c on Honda's Fits I've found to be spot on. It does not overwhelm you.

Old 05-14-2016, 11:48 AM
Originally Posted by Buck Fitty

Got it.

Had I read the fine print as you suggest, I guess the cat converter would not have failed ??

Funny also, the finance guy at the dealership blatantly stated that "bumper to bumper means just that".

He even showed me a list for hourly labor charges.

In any event, I made the decision to buy a first-year production model never imagining that a cat converter would fail at 20 months/117k miles only to discover it was guaranteed for 80k.

My bad.

As stated previously, this is what happened to my 2015 Fit.

Maybe all potential buyers will read the warranty fine print and therefore, never have their cat converter fail prematurely.

Old 05-14-2016, 02:30 PM
Originally Posted by Fit Charlie

My gas tank is almost empty, and the roof got wet last time it rained here. Honda needs to get with it on quality!

CVT FTL. As to the AC, it's the smallest, cheapest car they make, and it's built for fuel efficiency. Better, stronger, more fuel sucking AC systems are available in better, stronger, more fuel sucking cars. If you can be honest with yourself about what you want, buy one of them.

Sorry that doesn't go over for me, more Honda failures that it does by it's fanboy's. No logic in your empty tank comment. My 17 year old daughter who cares less about cars could come up with a better one. I bet I could get Hyundai's cheapest car and it would freeze you out of the car. This is not an excuse anyone should except from Honda. Who is running the ship over at Honda to even think of letting their reputation go down hill were their cars are starting to be classified as unreliable and crap design. They should do the Japanese thing and quit in shame. Let a couple engineers that have a passion for doing things "right" run the show and get back to a car company that is on top and produces quality products that does not have "just barely good enough" design and then they back it off 10% for cost savings. That gives you "not good enough" design and that is why Honda is flying itself into the ground the last years in every product they make.

Last edited by Mainia; 05-14-2016 at 03:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Sold 2015 fit !! Warning !!