3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Starter Question and the asterick

Old 05-17-2016, 10:43 PM
5 Year Member
Starter Question and the asterick

Ok, I have a EX with a 6 speed manual. For those not familiar with Honda's manual shifts know that the clutch must be pressed completely to the floor before the starter can be engaged. In a strange way, I consider this a sort of secondary anti=theft device. If band guy gets in car and manages to set by the start button, will said bad guy know about the clutch/start lock out?

Now if I had the optional remote start installed, would it work around the clutch lockout? I don't intend to buy a remote starter since Metro Nashville has outlawed leaving an un-attended car with a running engine, but curious.

Honda is no help. It uses asterisks to indicate "not available on all models." Owner manual and the Tech one too. I guess that's better than separate manuals for each model.

Old 05-18-2016, 03:14 AM
5 Year Member
The OEM remote start will not work with any manual transmission models. There's too much of a risk that the car would be in gear, and it'd run into another car, building, or person. Honda wouldn't gamble on people remembering to leave their cars in neutral.

Old 05-18-2016, 07:14 AM
5 Year Member
Besides, you're not supposed to ever leave a manual transmission car in neutral. You're supposed to always leave it in reverse (although I always leave mine in first-flame away!).

Old 05-18-2016, 09:33 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
Besides, you're not supposed to ever leave a manual transmission car in neutral. You're supposed to always leave it in reverse (although I always leave mine in first-flame away!).
Exactly what I thought. Thanks to both you and COBEs. Both a safety and anti-theft feature.

Old 05-18-2016, 09:56 AM
5 Year Member
Why reverse? I was taught to leave it in first.

Old 05-18-2016, 10:59 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
If you're facing up an incline, you should be in first. I leave mine in reverse in any other situation. Having the reverse camera show up at start up, reminds me that the car is in gear.

Old 05-18-2016, 02:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
I was taught to leave it in the lowest gear, and reverse is typically a lower gear than first. But in reality, it makes little difference.

Old 05-18-2016, 03:41 PM
5 Year Member
A few months ago I was on my way out and forgot something in the house, so I turned the car off and left it in reverse without pulling on the e-brake. To my abject horror, the Fit started lurching backward down the slight incline of my driveway as soon as I got out of the car -- the first time I ever had a car roll on me while in gear (and I'm old). I got back in FAST and yanked that brake up so hard I had trouble with the button release later.

Last edited by bach; 05-18-2016 at 04:37 PM. Reason: grammar wonk
Old 05-18-2016, 04:18 PM
5 Year Member
The reverse gear is the weakest one in the transmission.. I use 1st on manual cars as well.

Old 05-18-2016, 05:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bach
A few months ago I was on my way out and forgot something in the house, so I turned the car off and left it in reverse without pulling on the e-brake. To my abject horror, the Fit started lurching backward down the slight incline of my driveway as soon as I got out of the car -- the first time I ever had a car roll on me while in gear (and I'm old). I got back in FAST and yanked that brake up so hard I had trouble with the button release later.
Been there, done that. Saw a bumper sticker today "Manual Transmission If I roll back into you You're too damn close!

And I'll bet that I'm older than thou

Old 05-21-2016, 12:41 PM
5 Year Member
Those "remote start on MT car" installs always end badly. Either you will stall out your car trying to start it in gear, or it'l take off. And you will really struggle to get insurance money because it's ALWAYS going to be your fault

Best idea is just drop it. Run outside, start car, come back later.

It's not impossible to install a remote start on a MT car. It IS going to be very hard to find a shop to do it FOR you.

Old 05-24-2016, 01:55 PM
My daddy taught me to leave it in first, so I do.

Reverse? Never heard of that!

Old 05-24-2016, 07:27 PM
5 Year Member
I always left my car in neutral if I was not on a slope. And secured the parking brake, obviously. Too much risk of starting the car in gear and lurching forwards. Switching up between MT and AT it definitely happens.

On a slope I did opposite the slope. So, facing uphill I would leave it in first. There's no like "one rule to rule them all". It depends which way you want your car to not roll ...

Old 05-24-2016, 11:00 PM
I guess this thread has shifted somewhat from the original question...

I leave my car in reverse or first depending on which direction I need to go when I start out. I got into that habit because my first car was a manual but was old enough to not have the clutch pedal interlock, and once or twice I went to start it in gear and surprised myself with the lurch. I decided that, should I be so inattentive, I would at least like to lurch in the clear direction rather than towards (say) the garage wall.

For manual cars with remote starters, I think they generally require some specific arming routine when you park with the intention of making sure you're in neutral. One example requires you to set the parking brake (without turning off the engine), press the remote starter button, turn off the ignition—which in this special case does not immediately turn off the engine—and then get out of the car. When it senses the door close, it shuts off the engine and will remote start it as obviously the car has to be in neutral.

Old 05-25-2016, 07:23 AM
I have always put a MT in 1st gear with the brake on when parked. with an AT I always use the parking break when parked. if its a habit you don't forget.

Old 05-25-2016, 09:21 AM
Originally Posted by bladhmadh
I have always put a MT in 1st gear with the brake on when parked. with an AT I always use the parking break when parked. if its a habit you don't forget.
I'm the same. With a MT, I parked in first on uphills, and reverse on downhills.

Always parked with park brake on all cars.

Old 05-25-2016, 09:03 PM
5 Year Member
Also was taught to turn the wheel into a curb when parking on a slope. So if everything else fails, the car will naturally turn so that the wheels bump into a curb.

Old 05-25-2016, 10:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bladhmadh
Wow, I just realized I'm not even sure WHERE the parking brakes are on the ATs in my driveway ...

Old 05-26-2016, 12:54 PM
5 Year Member
To answer the OP's question as written: You need to look into the clutch interlock switch. Figure out exactly what the car's system is looking for and how to tell it that everything's okay.

The answer that's actually needed is: Grow the hell up. Waiting a few moments for heat or AC isn't going to kill you.

Old 05-26-2016, 01:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fit Charlie
To answer the OP's question as written: You need to look into the clutch interlock switch. Figure out exactly what the car's system is looking for and how to tell it that everything's okay.

The answer that's actually needed is: Grow the hell up. Waiting a few moments for heat or AC isn't going to kill you.
Weii, Charlie, it's a little late to grow up physically since I'm already 75 and tend to be shrinking (age and gravity). It's not a matter of waiting a few seconds for HVAC but starting the car after several attempts. As it is now, if I don't place the left foot properly the 1st, 2nd or 3rd time, I have to assume a "gangster slouch" to the right, slide my more than ample butt down and extend my left leg on the clutch, press all the way to the floor and push da button. Seats already all the way forward. Damn 25 inch inseam!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Starter Question and the asterick