3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2016 CVT vs 2017 Manual

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 06:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by tbFit
However, while in this virtual gear mode, the shifts are not as smooth because the engine speed is changing abruptly, just like in a 'regular' automatic transmission. Long term and while driving around normally, I personally don't find those 'regular' automatic transmissions 'bumps' particulary appealing and would have selected the 6sp manual over it if CVT was not as usable as it is.
I concur... A couple days ago on a whim, I started "blipping" the throttle (like you'd do shifting a manual, a quick lift-off and then back on) when 'shifting' in Sport Mode. It actually responded (and sounded) like a manual, well almost like one, anyway. First to second is still sloppy, though - it seems to have different programming from the higher 'gearshifts.'

Not saying it's exactly the same as a MT (been driving manuals nearly forty years, so I'm somewhat familiar), but it sure sounded better than just clicking the paddle while holding the pedal to the floor where the engine note slides down with each 'shift.'

es

Old 06-18-2016, 12:04 AM
5 Year Member
"Has all the Soul of a sea cucumber.. " reviewer.. LOL

Old 06-18-2016, 12:09 AM
5 Year Member
The thing is that a CVT should simple have electric torque, My Polaris quad is a good example, CVT system (Much more primitive) but when I grab throttle it slides down to peak power then follows the power band up so I'm always on the curve.

Thats why I'd rather have a slider that lets me select the rpm offset, and let the CVT slide to the best ratio. Basically rather than a sport button give me a lever that ranges between "sport" rev control and economy rev control in a analog fashion. There are times in the mountains I'd like to force the engine a couple hundred RPM higher so its got more pull out of corners climbing passes without having to floor the pedal and then slide down to econ on the flats..

Old 06-18-2016, 08:27 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dwtaylorpdx
... There are times in the mountains I'd like to force the engine a couple hundred RPM higher so its got more pull out of corners climbing passes without having to floor the pedal and then slide down to econ on the flats..
This is precisely what "S" mode does on the CVT "EX" (and maybe the LX), which raises the RPM at least 1K and although you cannot variably set that 1K RPM increase, it is in the power band and great when going up hills with curves. I will usually use "S" and only occasionally go the next step with the paddles for the next level of control, similar to a manual. When the hill is done, I slide back to "D" for low RPM and peaceful cruising.

For me, although not as sporty as the MT, the CVT with "S" and paddles provides a decent level of control without the drawbacks of regular automatics that hunt or abruptly down shift with load, etc; both of which are annoyingly noticeable for me in forward motion changes.

My first choice would have been the manual, but I went into that already.

Old 06-21-2016, 12:26 AM
5 Year Member
Spend the $700.00 to fix your air conditioner (get other estimates from someone who is not a Honda Dealership, perhaps the price will drop drastically).

You will then get more for your trade in, if the air is working.

Old 07-03-2016, 02:49 AM
Mjones703, just to put this availability discussion into perspective, I'm in VA (so not very far from you) and have been working with a local dealer to find a 2016 Fit EX MT since November of last year and there hasn't been a single vehicle within VA or every surrounding state since I've been interested.

To compound the problem, Honda won't even accept orders; they rejected my dealer's request to order a Fit, presumably because Honda is concentrating on 2017 model year Fits at the present time.

I've held out this long for a manual, so I'm going to stick it out a while longer to see if I can get a 2017, assuming manual transmission is even offered! I've never owned an automatic (my wife's Acura is the only automatic in the household) and refuse to personally drive one as long as manual is still offered.

Good luck with your search!

Old 07-03-2016, 08:42 AM
5 Year Member
^^^ That's not very encouraging. And also not very surprising.

Old 07-03-2016, 09:42 AM
5 Year Member
Nothing new

Many car companies advertise cars with options you can not get in a reasonable time period. I emailed local Hyundai dealership that had 13 Accents advertized on their site with manual transmissions. They had pictures of all the different colors and the actual VIN numbers with pictures of them on the site. I emailed to verify they actually had them in stock with manuals. They said yes. I was going to look the next day and got an email two hours later saying they really had no manual transmission cars on the lot. Yes they continued to show these cars on the site with the great low prices. You can see I am not in a Hyundai.

James

Old 07-04-2016, 12:27 AM
I first started shopping Fits with 6MT and all the dealers in the Seattle area that were part of True Car or Cars Direct said they had none currently (and none for months) and when they searched nationally, there was only a single Fit with a 6MT located in FL. A month later (yesterday), I get a call from a local dealer who says that he will be getting 3 manual LXs in about a month. Due to the color (blue and black) I passed, but it sure is promising for a single dealer (maybe the largest in the state though) will be getting 3 of them. Interesting also that they are all going to be LX and not EX.

I had my heart set on white, but I may have to just settle for blue, which is probably by 2nd or 3rd choice anyway, or perhaps contact other dealers and see if they have any coming in. Not sure if these will be 2016 or 2017, but if it's in a month I would guess MY 2016.

Old 07-04-2016, 03:36 AM
5 Year Member
I too was looking for a MT fit when I got mine back in May 2016. In the Northern VA area there were none. I had to get a CVT or no FIT EX. Just left VW after driving manuals for decades. The CVT continues to grow on me. I kinda like it now. When I think about it, it makes sense. IMO my FIT has no real power and the tires/suspension were designed for economy. In other words, I drive an econobox (albeit a nice one) not a "sports" car. So it doesn't have a manual trans, well I'll live with the excellent MPG. The CVT in sport mode feels just fine to me driving around the city and full auto mode is fine on the highways. Love this little car...just wish I got an EX-L. Good Luck!!!

Old 07-04-2016, 08:59 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by h4ldol
I had my heart set on white, but I may have to just settle for blue, which is probably by 2nd or 3rd choice anyway, or perhaps contact other dealers and see if they have any coming in. Not sure if these will be 2016 or 2017, but if it's in a month I would guess MY 2016.
Yeah when it comes time to do the deal you have to deal with what you can get. I ain't crying though I'd be lying if I said I don't get a sniffle every now and then when I pass the modern steel Accord sitting in the driveway down the street.

Old 07-04-2016, 09:08 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by tsand19151
I too was looking for a MT fit when I got mine back in May 2016. In the Northern VA area there were none. I had to get a CVT or no FIT EX. Just left VW after driving manuals for decades. The CVT continues to grow on me. I kinda like it now. When I think about it, it makes sense. IMO my FIT has no real power and the tires/suspension were designed for economy. In other words, I drive an econobox (albeit a nice one) not a "sports" car. So it doesn't have a manual trans, well I'll live with the excellent MPG. The CVT in sport mode feels just fine to me driving around the city and full auto mode is fine on the highways. Love this little car...just wish I got an EX-L. Good Luck!!!
I came off an '02 GTI 5MT and if it's any comfort I've realized the sport factor in the MT is a bit lacking ... like you say the whole car is designed for economy and that def includes the MT; the gearing is so weird, it's not like any previous MT I"ve owned (and I've owned a few).

Old 07-04-2016, 06:26 PM
5 Year Member
A little off topic, bargainguy, but how is the Fit in the snow? Do you ever get stuck and wish you had all-wheel drive? I look at the Fit's near-zero ground clearance and would rather not imagine having to navigate even a minimal amount of snow in a vehicle that low to the ground.

Old 07-10-2016, 05:05 PM
5 Year Member
I have not been in a Fit for sometime (I had a gen 1)but I can tell you, switching from a manual (Civic Si) to my new HRV with a CVT was a huge mistake. Stick with a manual. Paddle shifters or not, auto's just take the joy out of driving entirely. I can't wait to get rid of it and its only been 4 month's/10k miles. I would get a Fit but NOBODY around here has EX manuals. I may just wait for the Civic Hatch to come out in the fall with the stick and the 1.5T.

Last edited by fazzster; 07-10-2016 at 05:09 PM.
Old 07-10-2016, 05:19 PM
5 Year Member
I went to Autotrader.com to look at manual transmission Fits today. Some listed with J vin numbers which I thought was not being made (as in manuals from Japan sold here in USA ). Some EX manual models showed asking price up over $3000 dollars from dealers acorrding to Autotrader. I think they know how rare the manuals are getting now.

James

Old 07-10-2016, 06:02 PM
5 Year Member
Update :

Some listings have changed. The $21500 EX manual says Some kind of leather edition. Do not know about that one. Some dealers not lising their prices now. Others are listing at just above list price for the 2015 models I saw. This site must change a lot. On the search I only got 1 page of LX or EX honda Fit manual transmissions at any distance from me. Maybe there are more that Autotrader does not list from dealerships. I did specify new only,any color, any distance.

James

Old 07-10-2016, 07:09 PM
I looked about 2 weeks ago for the heck of it for a Fit EX with a manual. I think there was 1 '16 and 12 leftover '15's in the entire country. When I was at the dealer for the first oil change on my '15 I bought new in January every Fit on the lot was made in Japan.

If I was a betting man I'd bet the '17 Fit will not be sold with a manual given there are almost no '16's out now.

Glad I pulled the trigger on the '15 EX with the manual in January even though it meant taking the bus from Nashville to Atlanta to get it. In love with it so far.

Old 07-11-2016, 08:15 AM
5 Year Member
Despite the build quality issues I've had with my '15, I'm still glad I didn't wait until '16, as I wouldn't have been able to get a manual transmission at all.

I wouldn't be surprised if Honda discontinues the manual option altogether for '17. They can always blame it on "poor sales of the manual", even though the "poor sales" was created by no availability.

Old 07-11-2016, 08:26 AM
I've had no issues build quality wise with m '15 which was built Nov of '14 iirc. Been a great car so far in the just short of 6 months I've had it.

Uncle Gary, what issues have you had build quality wise with yours?

Old 07-11-2016, 01:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by John Dahlmeier
...If I was a betting man I'd bet the '17 Fit will not be sold with a manual given there are almost no '16's out now...
I hope you are incorrect, but also feel they will discontinue the manual. How will this look when the new 2017 Civic is offered with manual? It amazes me how in the case of the Fit, Honda North America continually shoot themselves in the foot. I would have thought that they had run out of feet already. The Nissan Versa Note is killing them in the market, and Honda cuts availability on certain Fit models?

Quick Reply: 2016 CVT vs 2017 Manual