3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Questions from a prospective buyer...

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 12:45 AM
Question Questions from a prospective buyer...

Hello fit freaks! Don't have one yet but hoping to get one in the next 6 months or so. Problem is, I want a 6MT but they have literally not a single one in the state (WA) I live in! Seriously, none in the state. Sad. Anyway, here are my questions...

1. 6MT - why so hard to find? Is Honda just not making many of these due to ever dwindling manual drivers? One dealer told me that the rare manual Fit they get are pre-purchased before arriving. Should I expect to pay full MSRP then?

2. Mexico vs Japan built. All the CVT Fits I saw at my local dealer are built in Japan. I would prefer a Japan-made one as well just in general, but are there a lot of issues with the Mexico ones that are reasonably attributed to being built in Mexico due to QA/QC issues? My old Civic was American assembled and the most solid car I have had (still no rattles after 13 years!).
Also, is it true that Fit manufacturing will be moving back to Japan in the near future? Or just the CVTs or all of them?

3. Quality control. Are the issues that I've read about (misaligned dashboards?, front bumper/covers sagging, engine covers falling off, etc.) indicative of poor quality for the Fit model in general or more likely the result of assembling issues (e.g. Mexico vs Japan)?

4. Replacing HU. I would definitely remove the HU and put in an aftermarket one, but is there much space behind the dash? I would also want to put in steering control module and possibly a SiriusXM receiver behind the dash, will there be enough space for that or even a standard double-DIN sized HU?

5. Speaker replacement. I would definitely replace these as well myself. According to Crutchfield, it looks like a good number of 6.5" speakers fit in the front and rear doors. And the tweeters look like they can be used with the existing grilles (I use industrial level 3M plastic bonding "glue" that costs about $100 for a small amount of glue, glue mixing gun, etc.!). Anyone do this and had any issues? I would definitely use speakers with integrated crossovers (like Rockford-Fosgate Punch components) to avoid use of bulky crossovers.

6. Aftermarket alarm. I would want to get an alarm system put in (by professionals though) but given how small the engine bay/compartment is is there space for the siren? Is there space for the "brain" under the dash?

7. Lowering suspension. I want to put in Eibach Pro-Kit springs to give about 1.2" drop in front and 1.4" in back. Anyone use this and had any issues with rubbing or hitting the ground in parking lot entrances, driveways, etc.?

Any answers would be appreciated, thanks!

Old 06-05-2016, 12:59 AM
Question 2 answers question 1. All the JEM Fits for the US are CVTs. The few sticks out there are leftovers from Mexican production.

2016s seem to have far fewer issues than 2015s.

Old 06-05-2016, 01:38 AM
Originally Posted by GeorgeL
Question 2 answers question 1. All the JEM Fits for the US are CVTs. The few sticks out there are leftovers from Mexican production.

Thanks. I wonder if the dearth of manual Fits is due to production transferring to Japan and later this year we should start to see an influx of manuals coming to the U.S. Wishful thinking, I'm sure!

I just can't get myself to get a CVT as that would mean all the cars in our family would be autos. Even though it's not a Porsche 911, it would still be nice to have a manual on my future Fit.

Old 06-05-2016, 09:09 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by h4ldol
... 4. Replacing HU. I would definitely remove the HU and put in an aftermarket one, but is there much space behind the dash? I would also want to put in steering control module and possibly a SiriusXM receiver behind the dash, will there be enough space for that or even a standard double-DIN sized HU?

5. Speaker replacement. I would definitely replace these as well myself. According to Crutchfield, it looks like a good number of 6.5" speakers fit in the front and rear doors. And the tweeters look like they can be used with the existing grilles (I use industrial level 3M plastic bonding "glue" that costs about $100 for a small amount of glue, glue mixing gun, etc.!). Anyone do this and had any issues? I would definitely use speakers with integrated crossovers (like Rockford-Fosgate Punch components) to avoid use of bulky crossovers. ...
The CVT Fit is fairly quiet inside at speed, the 6sp MT, not as much at cruising speed. Cross winds will increase the noise for both. Therefore, option 5 probably won't yield the gains you'd expect unless you listen at high volumes. SiriusXM last I tried has horrible sound quality (at least for music) so good speakers won't help.

You can run BT audio through the existing head unit and it sounds decent, although I'd save serious audio enjoyment for the home system. Personally, I wouldn't do #4 or #5.

Old 06-05-2016, 10:03 AM
5 Year Member
We have no idea why the MTs are so difficult to find. You need to talk to your dealer and order one. Ensure that if it does not come in 2-3 months that you get your deposit back. Barring that I'd move to a different car. 2016 Civic, Mazda3, Nissan Versa Note MT...

So far no MTs to the US/Canada are from Japan. My Hecho en Mexico 2016 Fit MT has been really good, with no issues to complain of. The paint is thin, the 6th gear is too low. Slick MT, and a lot of fun. I enjoy it every day and would never get the CVT. All Fit CVTs have moved back to Japan, but there is no indication either way that MTs will also move back. There seems to be no one that has recently taken delivery of a Fit MT.

I would use the car first before considering a HU replacement, especially if you buy a Fit with the Lanewatch option. No one has integrated this into a replacement HU so far. There are post on Sirius Radio. If you get an LX it comes with an aux in and much easier to integrate the external radio. Some people havce ahd difficulties integrating Siriux radios with their 7" touch screen HU. Read.

Speaker replacement is covered in the large mods post, Look up RottBoy and BassGuitarist??? All doable, all documented.

The Fit already comes with an auto immobilizer. Why would you want yet another alarm? There is no need.

Lowering suspension covered by many people. Search and read. The Fit is already pretty low to the ground, like 5".

Old 06-05-2016, 02:31 PM
5 Year Member
Hello fit freaks! Don't have one yet but hoping to get one in the next 6 months or so. Problem is, I want a 6MT but they have literally not a single one in the state (WA) I live in! Seriously, none in the state. Sad. Anyway, here are my questions...

1. 6MT - why so hard to find? Is Honda just not making many of these due to ever dwindling manual drivers? One dealer told me that the rare manual Fit they get are pre-purchased before arriving. Should I expect to pay full MSRP then?

2. Mexico vs Japan built. All the CVT Fits I saw at my local dealer are built in Japan. I would prefer a Japan-made one as well just in general, but are there a lot of issues with the Mexico ones that are reasonably attributed to being built in Mexico due to QA/QC issues? My old Civic was American assembled and the most solid car I have had (still no rattles after 13 years!).
Also, is it true that Fit manufacturing will be moving back to Japan in the near future? Or just the CVTs or all of them?

3. Quality control. Are the issues that I've read about (misaligned dashboards?, front bumper/covers sagging, engine covers falling off, etc.) indicative of poor quality for the Fit model in general or more likely the result of assembling issues (e.g. Mexico vs Japan)?

4. Replacing HU. I would definitely remove the HU and put in an aftermarket one, but is there much space behind the dash? I would also want to put in steering control module and possibly a SiriusXM receiver behind the dash, will there be enough space for that or even a standard double-DIN sized HU?

5. Speaker replacement. I would definitely replace these as well myself. According to Crutchfield, it looks like a good number of 6.5" speakers fit in the front and rear doors. And the tweeters look like they can be used with the existing grilles (I use industrial level 3M plastic bonding "glue" that costs about $100 for a small amount of glue, glue mixing gun, etc.!). Anyone do this and had any issues? I would definitely use speakers with integrated crossovers (like Rockford-Fosgate Punch components) to avoid use of bulky crossovers.

6. Aftermarket alarm. I would want to get an alarm system put in (by professionals though) but given how small the engine bay/compartment is is there space for the siren? Is there space for the "brain" under the dash?

7. Lowering suspension. I want to put in Eibach Pro-Kit springs to give about 1.2" drop in front and 1.4" in back. Anyone use this and had any issues with rubbing or hitting the ground in parking lot entrances, driveways, etc.?

1. Supply and demand. Low demand for the stick hence low supply. Dealers want to stock what will sell and an increasingly small fraction of buyers want to buy a stick in anything. Surely the clearest sign of the apocalypse, but there you are.

2. Couldn't care less.

Old 06-05-2016, 10:55 PM

I don't think a Honda Fit is for you, you should buy something else.

Old 06-06-2016, 09:45 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fit_as_a_butchers_dog

Old 06-21-2016, 04:55 PM
Originally Posted by GeorgeL

Thanks! Hopefully they'll start making the 6MTs in Japan again. Wishful thinking I'm sure.

Originally Posted by tbFit
The CVT Fit is fairly quiet inside at speed, the 6sp MT, not as much at cruising speed. Cross winds will increase the noise for both. Therefore, option 5 probably won't yield the gains you'd expect unless you listen at high volumes. SiriusXM last I tried has horrible sound quality (at least for music) so good speakers won't help.

You can run BT audio through the existing head unit and it sounds decent, although I'd save serious audio enjoyment for the home system. Personally, I wouldn't do #4 or #5.
Yeah, I'll probably skip the SiriusXM (I never use it in our minivan and reception up North in Seattle where I live is not good at all). I would like to use the stock radio except for one dealbreaker -- the lack of a volume knob. I guess I would try it and see how it is but I can't imagine I could deal with that.

Originally Posted by TorontoBoy
We have no idea why the MTs are so difficult to find. You need to talk to your dealer and order one. Ensure that if it does not come in 2-3 months that you get your deposit back. Barring that I'd move to a different car. 2016 Civic, Mazda3, Nissan Versa Note MT...

So far no MTs to the US/Canada are from Japan. My Hecho en Mexico 2016 Fit MT has been really good, with no issues to complain of. The paint is thin, the 6th gear is too low. Slick MT, and a lot of fun. I enjoy it every day and would never get the CVT. All Fit CVTs have moved back to Japan, but there is no indication either way that MTs will also move back. There seems to be no one that has recently taken delivery of a Fit MT.

I would use the car first before considering a HU replacement, especially if you buy a Fit with the Lanewatch option. No one has integrated this into a replacement HU so far. There are post on Sirius Radio. If you get an LX it comes with an aux in and much easier to integrate the external radio. Some people havce ahd difficulties integrating Siriux radios with their 7" touch screen HU. Read.

Speaker replacement is covered in the large mods post, Look up RottBoy and BassGuitarist??? All doable, all documented.

The Fit already comes with an auto immobilizer. Why would you want yet another alarm? There is no need.

Lowering suspension covered by many people. Search and read. The Fit is already pretty low to the ground, like 5".
Thanks, I am pretty set on the Fit but I'm in no hurry so I'll just wait and put out some feelers once in a while. Maybe I'll see about trying to order one, although one large dealer here said they won't even bother with that since they're so hard to come by. Hopefully, there will be more supply later this year! I probably will skip SiriusXM and an alarm if the EX comes with a stock alarm. If not, then I will definitely be getting one installed. Houses in my neighborhood range from $1M to $4M+ but there is still a lot of property crime in Seattle, so definitely need one.

Originally Posted by Jaeger
1. Supply and demand. Low demand for the stick hence low supply. Dealers want to stock what will sell and an increasingly small fraction of buyers want to buy a stick in anything. Surely the clearest sign of the apocalypse, but there you are.

2. Couldn't care less.
Yeah, it sucks! I remember when I was in college and they still made a lot of cars (affordable to luxury) with sticks, but now it's really hard. Pretty soon there won't be any 5-series with MT and I think Lexus IS are all auto now too. Sad times.

Originally Posted by Fit_as_a_butchers_dog
No, it totally is. I love how useful and small it is, and I llke the sporty styling. And it will fit in the driveway that I intend to park it in (the only other cars that will fit are the Mini Cooper, Fiat 500, and Kia Soul probably, and I don't want any of those).

Originally Posted by Uncle Gary

Last edited by h4ldol; 06-21-2016 at 04:57 PM.
Old 06-21-2016, 08:11 PM
5 Year Member
There are a handful of used GK Fits with MT that come up around my area, assuming your not opposed to a used one, you can save some money and get the MT.

Old 06-21-2016, 08:55 PM
Since you know of all these issues, I would check, double check, triple check. Then tell that dealer you are not interested, then go to another dealer or dealers and do the same until you feel you know the car inside and out. I would go with Japan just because it is made in Japan. I got one from MX and it's OK, and may be just as similar as one in JP, but next time I would get JP. It's a stigma thing and may be an issue for resale, maybe.

Yes, the console is an issue and it can be fixed. Either through them or yourself. My service folks were idiots. Take your time and if the sales person is pushy request to get another one.