3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Auto Dimming Mirror for 2016 LX?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 02:18 PM
5 Year Member
Auto Dimming Mirror for 2016 LX?

One month in and we are very pleased w/our yellow LX CVT (determined NOT to be the color of atomic waste)! The CVT is peppy & efficient. If one can believe the odometer readout we are averaging 43.1mph over 700 miles! Using cruise control has proved much more efficient than my foot. Haven't noticed any difference w/ or w/o Econ button. RPM at 70mph on freeway doesn't change when toggling button either.

Only issue so far is what first appeared as distortion in Rear View Mirror of following vehicle headlights at night. Turns out the refracted viewline in night mode reflects off of the map light lenses in the roof console causing this issue. So it seems the best 'fix' would be replacment of the OEM manual mirror with an auto dimming mirror.

I have had good luck with Gentex Auto Dimming mirrors (w/ compass) in other vehicles, but have not found one that admits to fitting a FIT (sorry - unavoidable pun).

Prime concerns are tapping into the wiring harness and/or fuse box and fitting the mirror onto the OEM windshield bracket.

Has anyone here found the appropriate mirror? Thanks.

Old 06-16-2016, 07:49 AM
This is the one that worked for me in my 2015 EX

MIT-50GENK45A w/compass/homelink
BMO-Camlock CAM LOCK mirror adapter bracket

Nedpoins

Old 06-16-2016, 09:56 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Nedpoins
This is the one that worked for me in my 2015 EX

MIT-50GENK45A w/compass/homelink
BMO-Camlock CAM LOCK mirror adapter bracket

Nedpoins
Thank you. Were you able to find the power connection at the map.lights or did you need to run down the A-pillar?

Old 06-16-2016, 10:41 AM
I don't know. I had it installed by a shop.

Old 06-21-2016, 04:44 PM
Originally Posted by LarryS
Thank you. Were you able to find the power connection at the map.lights or did you need to run down the A-pillar?
I don't own a Fit yet (waiting for the manuals to come back into stock), but I've installed Gentex autodimming mirrors in two of my cars and I find that it's best to get power by running the power cable across the headliner, down the A-pillar, and to the fuse box where you use a fuse tap to get power. If you get power from the map lights or other power source in the roof/headliner area, you're probably going to need to use one of those wire splice/taps that will probably be visible and which can lose connection in the future (those connects are notoriously unreliable IME). Unless you want to try fiddling around with wires near the headliner and solder the connections which would be really difficult I would think. OTOH, it's easy to run wires down the A-pillar (hardest part is removing the A-pillar trim piece if there is an airbag behind it) and the wires are perfectly tucked beneath the headliner.

Old 06-22-2016, 12:12 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by h4ldol
I don't own a Fit yet (waiting for the manuals to come back into stock), but I've installed Gentex autodimming mirrors in two of my cars and I find that it's best to get power by running the power cable across the headliner, down the A-pillar, and to the fuse box where you use a fuse tap to get power. If you get power from the map lights or other power source in the roof/headliner area, you're probably going to need to use one of those wire splice/taps that will probably be visible and which can lose connection in the future (those connects are notoriously unreliable IME). Unless you want to try fiddling around with wires near the headliner and solder the connections which would be really difficult I would think. OTOH, it's easy to run wires down the A-pillar (hardest part is removing the A-pillar trim piece if there is an airbag behind it) and the wires are perfectly tucked beneath the headliner.
Yes, I put a Gentex autodimming mirror with compass & temp in my 2014 Tacoma. It also required removing the A-Pillar cover and tapping the fuse box. At least I won't need to broach the firewall this time as the FIT already has the temperature readout.

I was just hoping to avoid the FIT A-Pillar cover due to to the airbag in there somewhere.

I've ordered the mirror. Should be here Friday.

Thanks.

Old 06-22-2016, 01:02 PM
5 Year Member
I had a Gentex autodimming mirror installed when I got an electric started installed.

Gentex
50-GENK2AM/50-901160M/50-9010227001M
Gentex Auto Dimming Rear View Mirror