3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Humming noise on road: Is it the tires or the wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 12:03 AM
on/off Humming/buzzing noise over 65mph

I noticed a "humming" noise in a kind of off-on-off-on manner, when I drive over 65 mph
it's like 1 second humming, 1 second off, 1 second, 1 off .... and so on.
no vibration, tried deferent roads .. same sound.

I tried to jack up one front wheel and drive it like I do with old cars to check if its the bearing sound , it didn't work ... unlike old cars the other front wheel wants to drive too!, I jacked the both front wheels still didn't work either, the ESC stability system is breaking, I turned it off, it didn't help.

I did grasp the tire at the 12/6 position and tried to rock the tire and wheel in and out, no play.

have you experienced anything like that ?

it's a Honda Fit 2016 that as only 2k on it!

Last edited by salamlaith; 08-24-2016 at 09:08 AM. Reason: update
Old 07-24-2016, 01:14 AM
I know what you mean!!! I hear it too!!! Thought it was my aftermarket wheels...wow! This is weird!

Old 07-24-2016, 02:52 AM
Originally Posted by KTFitYEAA
I know what you mean!!! I hear it too!!! Thought it was my aftermarket wheels...wow! This is weird!
do you still have this sound ? was it there before putting the aftermarket wheels ?

Old 07-24-2016, 02:53 AM
5 Year Member
If the noise happens on different road surfaces it's the car, if the sound isn't constant I wouldn't think it was the wheels. Does the sound happen with the A/C on or off?

Old 07-24-2016, 03:00 AM
Originally Posted by salamlaith
do you still have this sound ? was it there before putting the aftermarket wheels ?
I think I still have the sound...although my car always has music playing.

I have no idea if it was before or after. But I get the sound.

Old 07-24-2016, 12:57 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
i wonder if it's caused by the wind and one of ur body panels are loose? have u checked the engine shroud? maybe it's coming undone, not sure.

if it was bearings it would be a constant sound at those speeds.

Old 07-24-2016, 04:09 PM
Originally Posted by kgb4187
If the noise happens on different road surfaces it's the car, if the sound isn't constant I wouldn't think it was the wheels. Does the sound happen with the A/C on or off?

sound happen all the time over 65mph, it didn't make any deference turning on/off the AC

Old 07-24-2016, 04:15 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
if it was bearings it would be a constant sound at those speeds.
AGREE, trebled bearings makes constant sound and the sound starts over 40mph.

I noted today that there's a little vibration on the deriver side mirror, same side that the sound comes from.
I think it might be the tire, I will try to rotate the tires.

Old 07-24-2016, 09:48 PM
I think you're hearing tire tread noise. The tires that came with my Fit were not particularly quiet (nor especially great in any other regard).

Old 07-27-2016, 09:32 PM
i did tire balance and rotation, no deference

Old 07-28-2016, 11:27 PM
What your dealer said about it? I believe it is either the tires or the car itself. Does your passenger hear it too? Getting a better and quiet street tire could solve the problem.

Old 07-29-2016, 12:49 AM
5 Year Member
I hear a slight wooh-wooh-wooh kinda noise in mine, varies with the speed, but only seems to occur up to 25 mph, and only on certain road surfaces (like my neighborhood)....given my circumstances, I'm guessing my (extremely minor) problem is the tires, which were virtually new when I bought my used '15 in May of this year...Cooper CS3's, they're not stockers - original owner put like 43,000 miles on this car in a year and a half or so. So, am gonna be stuck with these bad boys for a good few years, but hey, have driven far worse tires

Old 07-29-2016, 12:54 PM
Originally Posted by gallent92
What your dealer said about it? I believe it is either the tires or the car itself. Does your passenger hear it too? Getting a better and quiet street tire could solve the problem.
i don't have warranty on this car.
yes passengers can hear it too.
it only happens over 65mph, it comes with a little vibration, the sound is not loud, but it can be noted.

Old 07-29-2016, 05:51 PM
i did alignment today, it didn't help.

how much it cost if I take it to the dealer for checking ?
the car has no warranty, its a rebuild.

Old 07-29-2016, 06:01 PM
If it's more a humming noise than a thumping or helicopter sort of noise, it's probably the tread pattern on the tires. In that case there's nothing to repair because there's nothing broken; it's simply that particular tire design being somewhat noisy. It's also nothing dangerous--annoying perhaps, but not a sign of trouble.

The solution in that case is to get different tires. Rotating the tires can sometimes help, to some degree, but noisy tires are just noisy also.

I don't know what your dealer might charge you. A good dealer should charge you nothing to tell you that you have noisy tires, or at most a very nominal fee for a couple minutes of diagnostic work. An especially shady dealer might sell you much work that is absolutely unnecessary if they think you're gullible.

Old 07-30-2016, 05:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fuelish
I hear a slight wooh-wooh-wooh kinda noise in mine, varies with the speed, but only seems to occur up to 25 mph, and only on certain road surfaces (like my neighborhood)....given my circumstances, I'm guessing my (extremely minor) problem is the tires, which were virtually new when I bought my used '15 in May of this year...Cooper CS3's, they're not stockers - original owner put like 43,000 miles on this car in a year and a half or so. So, am gonna be stuck with these bad boys for a good few years, but hey, have driven far worse tires
Be thankful you never got to try the stock Firestone tires. I did, and the Cooper CS3s are MUCH better. Quieter, better ride, better handling, and hopefully longer lasting.

I wouldn't recommend the stock Firestones for use as a swing.

Old 07-30-2016, 10:34 PM
5 Year Member
yea our stock tires are noisy as hell now with 20k miles on them. I've had summer tires last longer than these things and be less noisy after 35k miles or more.

Old 07-31-2016, 02:34 AM
The Firestones on my 2016 are noisy. Otherwise, not too bad for OEM tires.

The worst i've ever seen were the Integrity tires on my Corollas. Dumped them at about 7K miles for Michelins.

Old 08-01-2016, 12:25 PM
wheel bearings where checked, nothing wrong with them, did alignment and balance, still the on/off humming sound accrue over 65mph
my 2016 came with Firestones tires.
yesterday I was driving on a highway, one part was newly paved, the off/on humming sound was way quitter on the new pavement, it makes me thing its a tire tread noise, I HOPE

Old 08-01-2016, 01:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Bob Levine

The worst i've ever seen were the Integrity tires on my Corollas. Dumped them at about 7K miles for Michelins.
Yeah, we had the same "pleasure" with those tires on our Corolla.....utter crap, they were

Quick Reply: Humming noise on road: Is it the tires or the wheels?