3rd Generation GK Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 3rd generation Honda Fit (GK)

Splash shield screws and retainer clips

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 06:35 PM
Thumbs up Splash shield screws and retainer clips

I did some research and testing for replacements to keep on hand that were not purchased through the more expensive route of ordering from a dealership with the high shipping costs.

First, the shield is held in place by 6 phillips truss head style screws, 3 on each side, and 2 retaining clips that are fastened on the back towards the rear of the vehicle.

The 6 side screws are simply screwed in and out, the proper procedure for the 2 retaining clips are, in removal, unscrew the inner portion till if is completely removed from the outer clip, then you pull or pry the outer clip free. To install, you do not screw it back in, you first push in the outer housing portion of the clip, and then push in the inner screw/push pin. This expands or spreads the end so it stays.

If you want only original hardware, the OEM part numbers are:

90114-SE0-000 - screw

91514-TG1-T01 - retainer clip

Here are the links to alternatives:
screws:
https://www.amazon.com/Honda-Splash-Shield-Phillips-Screws/dp/B0040D0OLS/ref=pd_rhf_dp_s_all_spx_wp_0_4?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0040D0OLS&pd_rd_r=3e0a8736-a567-4e03-b359-5f41356904a9&pd_rd_w=r8Nog&pd_rd_wg=NI3Ih&pf_rd_p=fbf12e81-0f3a-494f-acdc-a6af96324f5b&pf_rd_r=GDZ60GJFEHXPRDJWS5YF&psc=1&refRID=GDZ60GJFEHXPRDJWS5YF https://www.amazon.com/Honda-Splash-Shield-Phillips-Screws/dp/B0040D0OLS/ref=pd_rhf_dp_s_all_spx_wp_0_4?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0040D0OLS&pd_rd_r=3e0a8736-a567-4e03-b359-5f41356904a9&pd_rd_w=r8Nog&pd_rd_wg=NI3Ih&pf_rd_p=fbf12e81-0f3a-494f-acdc-a6af96324f5b&pf_rd_r=GDZ60GJFEHXPRDJWS5YF&psc=1&refRID=GDZ60GJFEHXPRDJWS5YF

retainer clip

I have ordered and tried both on the shield, the screws are oem identical, the clips were not, as they are circular and not square, however I don't think it matters, what matters is that the hole is 10 mm in diameter, as long as the head is larger than 10mm it will stay and I'm not sure the stem length size matters either. There's tons of generic style push pins that would probably work if you stick to that guideline, and the screws too can be found on many sites, though the clips in the link were tested and held, even when pulled upon.

Hope this helps, as it seems there's a lot of information that needs to be sifted through to find about these screws and clips from various posts in other threads.

Last edited by So it is; 12-22-2018 at 11:06 PM. Reason: fixing link
Old 09-15-2016, 08:24 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
when i did the GK's oil change, wondered why honda didnt just use the regular pull tab type plastic rivets. instead they used these tabs with the screw head in the middle. these end up cross threading often as there is so much sand and debris dat get caught up in the threads... usually prevents me from taking them off the car quickly.

Old 09-15-2016, 04:03 PM
The last oil change I got the screws were still in (after retightening once) but the clips were gone, the guy put in two of the aftermarket round ones and thy have lasted longer than the oem.

Old 09-15-2016, 08:20 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
when i did the GK's oil change, wondered why honda didnt just use the regular pull tab type plastic rivets. instead they used these tabs with the screw head in the middle. these end up cross threading often as there is so much sand and debris dat get caught up in the threads... usually prevents me from taking them off the car quickly.
I also noticed when I was under there that the shield was collecting a lot of debris small pebbles, sand etc. they were stuck in the drain holes. At least being plastic if the screw got stuck you could cut off the head and pop it out the other way. I agree though, the whole system could've been better designed for ease of use, at least the oil changes aren't as frequent with these vehicles.

Old 09-15-2016, 08:42 PM
5 Year Member
Y'all say splash shield, I say it's strictly for a tiny aerodynamic advantage....not worth the trouble that seems common enough on here....our used '15 "splash shield" was missing when we bought it, and I feel no need to replace it

Last edited by Fuelish; 09-15-2016 at 08:45 PM.
Old 09-15-2016, 09:43 PM
Originally Posted by Fuelish
Y'all say splash shield, I say it's strictly for a tiny aerodynamic advantage....not worth the trouble that seems common enough on here....our used '15 "splash shield" was missing when we bought it, and I feel no need to replace it
I say splash shield because that what's it commonly known as on cars, and it's labeled as such on some of the honda parts sites, some just call it a lower engine cover. The point is that it's not a lot of trouble if it only needs a few cheap screws or push pins replaced from time to time to keep it intact. I don't know the long term advantage of keeping it on but it certainly can't hurt the vehicle. Though like you, if I bought a car with it missing, I'm not sure if I'd dish out the 100 or so bucks to get a new one either.

Old 09-15-2016, 10:02 PM
5 Year Member
Would something like this work? Historically the plastic screws tend to strip out pretty fast.

https://www.amazon.com/uxcell%C2%AE-.../dp/B00CW9JKU8

Old 09-16-2016, 12:04 AM
Originally Posted by spets
Would something like this work? Historically the plastic screws tend to strip out pretty fast.

https://www.amazon.com/uxcell%C2%AE-.../dp/B00CW9JKU8
As long as it's 10 mm I don't see why it wouldn't, I'm assuming these are easily removed by prying with a flathead? But yeah, the hole is 10 mm and as long as the head and the inserted end expands to be larger than 10 it should work.

Old 09-20-2016, 08:03 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by So it is
As long as it's 10 mm I don't see why it wouldn't, I'm assuming these are easily removed by prying with a flathead? But yeah, the hole is 10 mm and as long as the head and the inserted end expands to be larger than 10 it should work.
yah, da issue is the thing has a screw head in the center of the tab which tends to free spins unless you VERY GENTLY unscrew the thing. by the time there is sand and small debris in the thread it can take a while to remove where a regular plastic tab (rivet) would take no more than a second or two to pop loose with a flat head and pull out with just your fingers.

im too impatient to be fiddling around with a stupid tab i guess. thing should just pop off quickly.

Old 09-20-2016, 10:03 AM
3 days into owning the car, wife went over an elevated storm drain that had a rubber protector around it (raised what 3"?) I have a lowered accord so my mentality said HELL NO! But she went over it and I heard it just touch the underbody, a minute later splash shield was dragging...

How do people lower these? Im down 3.5" or more from stock height on coilovers in my 12 Accord and I have the same ground clearance as the stock 2015 Fit's splash shield!

Old 09-20-2016, 02:27 PM
5 Year Member
my other cars are much lower... u just have to be more careful, i suppose.

Old 09-20-2016, 03:45 PM
5 Year Member
Here are the links to alternatives:

Screw

retainer clip

Thank you for the retainer, clip, and screw link. Will definitely come in handy.

Old 01-16-2019, 01:48 PM
5 Year Member
bumping it up, for visibility, and for those who need this info

Old 01-28-2019, 08:33 AM
The easy replacement I found was just to uses zip ties from Harbor Freight, You can get 100 for $1.99 and they won't come loose.

Old 03-26-2019, 04:55 PM
Thanks for the great info.

Drove down a "path" at a friend's mountain cabin with lots of 4-6" rocks protruding, and gouged the shield backing up, tearing it at the front interface with the bumper. Here's what I've done to fix that
  1. Cut the tear out (3" x 4") and bent the shield back flat
  2. Applied 4" wide Gorilla tape across interface with front bumper. Clean with rubbing alcohol 1st. Very clean aerodynamically, tough. Can be removed when worn.
  3. Used Zip Ties instead of screws, which tend to end up in your back tires
  4. Replaced square retainer on passenger side at the back with Zip Tie, using needle-nose pliers to pull the end through the fastener hole. There's a 2nd hole about 2" away, so the tie can be threaded through and looped. Not sure about the driver's side yet. Haven't looked as the fastener is still in place.
Generally, Zip Ties seem to work very well, and support the shield better as it pulls over a much larger surface area. Not sure about surviving a serious scrape, but very cheap to replace. Get the best quality ties you can find, and get them in white or clear so they are easy to find when checking for missing ones.

Old 04-02-2019, 07:33 PM
Originally Posted by evilchargerfan
bumping it up, for visibility, and for those who need this info
This thread just saved me a trip to the dealership, where I'm sure they would find the most expensive retainers on the planet shipped directly from Japan! Thank you all!

Old 01-22-2022, 08:44 AM
Cool

Hello all,

I am new here and I am not a English native speaker so please forgive me if I do not use the correct words :-)
I did change the light bulb at the main headlight the H4. When doing this I did find some garage's did not put back all the plastic clips. So I did a web search and did find this forum. Thanx guys! the info is really helpful. Now I know I need to buy the 10mm clips. I did even find a mechanical drawing of the car showing where to put which clip and screw. There is one thing I do not understand though. The screw at place F is gone. and there is only a hole I did put a screwdriver to feel if there is something which will hold the screw but there is nothing. Which part do I need so the screw will get some grip?
When I take a look from the bottom to the top I see a black plastic part then I see metal and then some black plastic again. I did add some photos I hope this helps thanks for the help!

drawing

missing screw

Old 12-28-2022, 06:57 PM
5 Year Member
after 7 years of never removing the 2 rear "retaining clips" a giant puddle or the snow ripped the driver side off. Every one says its a 10mm hole so i got this at home depot (and some stainless screws and washers )and it installs OK and seems to hold, An easy fix for the less mechanically inclined. basically its a "rubber bolt" with a metal nut in it. I think it should work quite well and couldnt be easier to install, but should still blow out if required by snow pressure ( i hope)

Old 08-13-2023, 01:59 PM
DIY guidance required

Hi Guys
Could someone guide me on how to replace the engine guard screws by yourself.