3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Utility key for LX

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 11:47 AM
5 Year Member
Utility key for LX

I just spoke with a fairly knowledgeable lock and key service here about getting a $40 utility key made for our Fit LX. I want just a basic metal key capable of unlocking the car and starting the engine. Since our car is the base LX model it doesn't have a start button but the locksmith said that all newer cars require a chip key ($130) to start the engine. Is this really the case with the base Fit? I can also see instances where it gets really cold where I live (-20°F) and the battery in the key might freeze. Are we going to be stranded if the key battery is dead, or does the chip thing work without the battery, or is the locksmith still not understanding the base model Fit design?

Old 09-26-2016, 01:41 PM
5 Year Member
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transponder_car_key
"The second type, used by automobile manufacturers, are called magnetic coupled transponder systems. Magnetic coupled transponder systems are passive in nature. This means they do not require constant electricity and thus do not need a power source of their own. They operate in the frequency range area of 125 kHz. Since magnetic coupled transponders do not have their own power source, they are very limited in range of communication and generally operate in the range of 1 cm to 15 cm. Since this is a radio frequency, it can penetrate materials that would make the transponder not directly visible, such as the plastic or rubber in the bow of a key.

The process of key identification is similar in most automotive transponder systems. Once a key is inserted into the ignition lock and turned to one of the 'on' or 'run' positions, the induction coil that is mounted around the ignition lock sends out an electromagnetic field of energy. The windings in the transponder chip absorb that energy and power the electronic chip to emit a signal. The signal is usually an alphanumeric sequence which is considered the identification code. The induction coil reads the signal and sends it to some type of computer device to recognize the signal. If the signal is recognized as being already in the computer’s memory, the signal is accepted and other electronic components in the vehicle are set into motion to allow the starting of the vehicle or the continuation of the engine running."

So yes you need a chip. No you won't be stranded if your key battery dies.

Last edited by brokenlasagna; 09-26-2016 at 02:12 PM.
Old 09-26-2016, 01:50 PM
It would probably open the door but not start the engine. You could remove the battery from your existing key and then try and open the door and start the engine and see what happens. I would try that now but I don't have a small Phillips head to use on my key to get to the battery.

Old 09-26-2016, 02:59 PM
5 Year Member
I believe KayakPaddler did an extra key with no chip, so that he could kayak and not have to worry about getting his key wet. He can lock his fob in his car and unlock the car with his alternative key.

Originally Posted by 2016 Honda Fit Owners Manual pp 109
The immobilizer system prevents a key that has not been pre-registered from starting the engine. Each key contains electronic transmitters that use electronic signals to verify the key.
A replacement LX key with electronic chip here in Canada from a Honda dealer will cost ~$300. The replacement EX key will cost ~$550.

Old 09-26-2016, 04:21 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks everybody, great information!

I did read the user manual but more for things I expected would be different. I am jumping 35 years in terms of car technology and it didn't occur to me there'd be that kind of chip in it.

I used to do scuba diving. I was thinking back to the days when I would just tuck my key into my wetsuit and take it down with me. I was wondering what I would need to do if a similar scenario arose such as going swimming in a lake, doing the main key in the car thing.

In the meantime I presume I could just take the battery out of our second fob to prevent the accidental unlocking of doors. It's nice being able to do thing remotely but it is also a nuisance having to keep my key hanging from my belt.

Old 09-26-2016, 11:17 PM
5 Year Member
Anybody remember the Ford/Mercury cars from the 90's that had the keypad door locks? Apparently they were quite popular with swimmers, surfers, joggers, etc. You didn't need to take a key with you, just leave the key in the car and use the keypad to open. Those were the days.....

Old 09-27-2016, 11:18 AM
One could defeat the system by taking the electronics out of the key and mounting it near the keyhole in the car. Then you could just use an ordinary key without electronics to start the car. This is commonly done with remote start systems.

This would, of course, reduce the security of the car, but chipped keys haven't really reduced the incidence of car theft anyway. It's really a source of profit for dealers and another system to fail to remove cars from service quicker at end of life.

Old 09-28-2016, 08:24 AM
5 Year Member
BTW, $40 for a utility key is highway robbery. I got mine from the dealer for about $13.

Old 09-29-2016, 12:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ToddF
BTW, $40 for a utility key is highway robbery. I got mine from the dealer for about $13.
Great suggestion. I just called a key place because I thought for sure a dealership would be the most expensive, but I just called a dealership here and they said $15.

Old 09-29-2016, 02:56 PM
If you are afraid of getting your remote key wet you can get plain plastic head keys that will start the car. Generally they were referred to as valet keys. You can also get plain steel keys that will NOT start the car for much less. Whenever you want to price something for your car compare your quoted price with majestic honda. They give you a very realistic pricing instead of extreme markup.

Of course dealers can and will charge whatever they want to program the keys.