3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Throw The Book At Me!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 02:17 PM
5 Year Member
Throw The Book At Me!

So when I got my Honda, I got the portfolio with the Owners Manual in it, and the Warranty booklet and a Computer CD and some other things.

I noticed that the owners manual seemed a little small in comparison to owners manuals I have had in the past...but didn't think too much about it.

So I sit down the other day to read through the "Owners Guide" and I notice that they explain that it is an "Owners Guide" NOT an Owners Manual, and only included the basics...not everything covered in the manual.

Now the manual is available on the CD...or I guess I can contact Honda within a period of time and they could mail me a hard copy. Honda sites it being more ecologically supportive to NOT print Owners Manuals.

Geesh, when did this happen?

And I wonder how many people never even read the admission that the Owners Guide is NOT the Owners Manual...and never even realize they don't have the "Unabridged" version?

I like having a FULL Owners Manual, in hard copy, to access if needed. Also I think having an Owners Manual is a plus if you ever resell.

IMO...Honda should just give you a manual...not an abridged guide and a CD.
If I'm on the road, and don't have access to a computer with a CD drive, and find myself needing information not included in the guide?

Come on Honda....just give me a manual.

Old 10-04-2016, 03:09 PM
5 Year Member
Honda will. Just have to ask for it: https://owners.honda.com/registration/about

That's where I got mine. Came in the mail.

Old 10-04-2016, 03:54 PM
5 Year Member
It must be new, because my '15 came with an owner's manual. I also downloaded the PDF file and carry it on my iPhone.

Obviously another cost cutting move and an acknowledgement of what we already knew. Most people never read the manual.

Old 10-04-2016, 05:13 PM
5 Year Member
Day 1 I knew there was a difference, because most of my questions were not covered in the Owner's Guide. The salesguy, got to love him, also told me that the owner's manual is on CD and the CD cannot be played in the car!

Here in Canada there is a charge for the manual, so it is not free. I think it was $120. I downloaded it to my laptop.

I'm not even sure why you would want to print it. On a computer you can do full text search, much faster and more accurate than the index on a paper copy.

Old 10-04-2016, 05:54 PM
5 Year Member
I got the paper manual with my 2015. I also downloaded the PDF copy for the computer. You need that paper copy in the glove box to reference when lights come on and making adjustments and allow for basic maintenance. Another way to save a dollar. BAD HONDA

James

Old 10-05-2016, 05:34 AM
5 Year Member
I had a manual. It's gone. Takes up an amazing amount of the glove box. With all the pages in the manual, easier to search the PDF than try and find it on the paper copy.

Old 10-05-2016, 09:39 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TorontoBoy
Day 1 I knew there was a difference, because most of my questions were not covered in the Owner's Guide. The salesguy, got to love him, also told me that the owner's manual is on CD and the CD cannot be played in the car!

Here in Canada there is a charge for the manual, so it is not free. I think it was $120. I downloaded it to my laptop.

I'm not even sure why you would want to print it. On a computer you can do full text search, much faster and more accurate than the index on a paper copy.
Are we talking about the same manual? I bought the full service manual for my '09 Fit for $120, not the little owner's manual you carry in the glovebox.

Why a printed manual? Well, the computer is in the house and the car is in the garage, for one thing. Yes, I have a copy on the phone, but it's not as easily searchable to my 64 yr. old eyes (stupid "iBooks").

Last edited by Uncle Gary; 10-05-2016 at 09:43 AM.
Old 10-05-2016, 11:22 AM
I knew mine did not come with a paper manual. I asked my salesperson for one, and she got me one, no problem.

Old 10-05-2016, 04:02 PM
Manuals have become huge, mostly because of the infotainment systems and other automated features. Most people don't read them, hence Honda's decision to not supply them automatically.

You can get one, but it has to be ordered within the first six months of ownership, then it takes months to arrive. Honda's strategy is that most people will put off ordering it and eventually forget about it.

Eventually, the paper manuals will be very rare books!

Old 10-05-2016, 10:38 PM
Apparently you don't seem to be familiar with the word "progress" and all it entails.

Do you still have the manual to your Model A?

Old 10-06-2016, 04:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fit_as_a_butchers_dog
Apparently you don't seem to be familiar with the word "progress" and all it entails.

Sometimes "progress" sucks.

Old 10-06-2016, 04:32 PM
5 Year Member
I have the Owners Manual that came with a 1916 Chevy (got it at a garage sale).

It has information EVERYONE needs, like how to grind your engine's valves, and how to align your front wheels using a string and a ruler. :-0

Old 10-12-2016, 01:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fit_as_a_butchers_dog

So why is simply NOT giving you a full printed manual "progress"?
I'm NOT saying don't also give me the CD version.

I think the ONLY argument FOR the benefit of not being provided a full printed manual with purchase, is the saving of tree's. Not insignificant if that is a priority to you.

A lot of times "Progress" is simply a disguise for either getting less, or being asked to provide more.
I don't think having to contact Honda and beg them to send me a full printed manual is progress.