3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Rock Chips

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 01:34 PM
5 Year Member
Rock Chips

If I have posted this in the wrong section, please let me know or (Mods) move it.

The PDX area had a snow and ice event last week. Sure enough, I managed to get a few rock chips on the hood and front bumper today.

As Murphy's law would have it, this happened before I could take it in to get a clear bra. And, of course, the color is Crystal Black Pearl.

The paint pen never leaves a smooth spot after touch up.

Do I live with them? Aside from a respray, what other options do I have?

Old 12-12-2016, 03:55 PM
I think the most realistic answer is the paint pen, as unsatisfactory as it is - unless you want to spent big bucks on a repaint job. I've got nearly 25K on my Fit so far this year and it's got its fair share of scratches and chips. I'm just living with them for now. I may repaint the whole car in a few years from now. We'll see.

Maybe someone else has a better answer but for right now, the paint pen is the only option I can see.

Old 12-12-2016, 11:41 PM
Well, it ain't a Ferrari so I'm not too worried about chips and dings. I actually watched a woman throw her door open into the side of my Fit. What can you do?

And what the heck is PDX?

Old 12-13-2016, 06:03 AM
5 Year Member
I believe he is referring to the 3 letter identifier for Portland, OR airport.

Old 12-13-2016, 06:15 AM
5 Year Member
It's hard not to be retentive since I bought the car just a few months ago and don't even have 1,000 miles on it yet.
I may take the car around to a couple of places and see what the costs are. In all likelihood, I won't address the problem until spring.
Aside from my attitude problem and the cost, thanks for the opinions to help put it in perspective. We're certainly at that time of the year when a little self reflection is called for.
Here in Portland, very little salt or de-icer is used. Gravel is the weapon of choice.

Old 12-13-2016, 07:41 AM
5 Year Member
I've used both Dr Colorchip and Langka touch-up systems.

These include matched paints, and leveling methods so that the blemish is harder to see.

+++++++++++++++

The old-fashioned method:

You DO want to apply a touch-up soon as you can so that rust will not develop. Then, keep re-applying the paint until it is higher than the surrounding finish. Finally, (after the new paint is at least a month old) you can wet-sand the repair level, then polish.

++++++++++

I know it's hard,. but increasing following distance to the car ahead will reduce the incidence of chipping. (It's easier on your A/C evaporator also, which is right behind the lower grill.)

Old 12-13-2016, 07:59 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Farrago
If I have posted this in the wrong section, please let me know or (Mods) move it.

The PDX area had a snow and ice event last week. Sure enough, I managed to get a few rock chips on the hood and front bumper today.

As Murphy's law would have it, this happened before I could take it in to get a clear bra. And, of course, the color is Crystal Black Pearl.

The paint pen never leaves a smooth spot after touch up.

Do I live with them? Aside from a respray, what other options do I have?
sucks u couldnt get clearbra done earlier. i would just touch it up the best u can and get the clearbra done soon. i recommend u hit the touch up with a hair dryer to accelerate the curing before u clearbra it. usually takes a good week to dry completely but should be okay if the spot is real small.

Old 12-13-2016, 09:16 AM
5 Year Member
Anyone used one of those black car bras on a Fit? It might be a good thing to have for traveling in winter conditions.

Old 06-05-2017, 01:37 AM
Hi everyone,
I like the idea of a clear bra, but has anyone had a front/hood bra installed; Brand is Lebra. What are the disadvantages of this type?

Thanks

Michael

Old 06-05-2017, 01:44 AM
5 Year Member
The soft ones made from vinyl will grind your paint off in Oregon.. The sand on teh roads for ice include fine sand that gets all over the car, eventually washed behind the bra and then acts like sand paper..

Old 06-05-2017, 07:42 AM
5 Year Member
yah, get the clearbra. those older black faux leather bras are bad news per above post.
you have to remove it each time it rains.. plus not very good to sit out in the sun too long as it can cloud the paint below with the moisture built up inside.

for those occasions where u dont have clearbra but want temporary paint protection (like driving cross country) use painter's tape. no joke.

Old 06-05-2017, 09:18 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
. . . tape. no joke.

That's a good idea. I'd recommend gaffer's tape, it is one of my favorite tapes. It can best be characterized as well-behaved duct tape. It doesn't have an awful adhesive, doesn't leave a residue, sticks well, but is easily removed, cuts easily, tears-off the roll predictably, shapes well to curved surfaces and comes in colors. I use it a lot.

Old 06-05-2017, 10:04 AM
5 Year Member
for temporary solution to long trips through open highways, use Con-Tact Self-Adhesive Shelf Liner, less than $8.00 per roll. 18 inches wide as long as you want. Not excessively sticky, but sticky enough to prevent lifting in the wind, or tug the ends under the hood. Nothing fancy, easy to attach to front end of the car to protect rock dings. You can probably peel it off and reuse it later if you keep debris from the sticky surface. That's what I do.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Kittrich-...LINER/38472936

Last edited by wasserball; 06-05-2017 at 10:12 AM.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:56 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wasserball
That's what I do.
That's a good idea. What is your experience with curved surfaces?

Old 06-09-2017, 10:50 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Press Fit
That's a good idea. I'd recommend gaffer's tape, it is one of my favorite tapes. It can best be characterized as well-behaved duct tape. It doesn't have an awful adhesive, doesn't leave a residue, sticks well, but is easily removed, cuts easily, tears-off the roll predictably, shapes well to curved surfaces and comes in colors. I use it a lot.
yah, there's this japanese tape company that sells these industrial gaffers tape-ish tape that is super easy to cut by hand and removes with zero residue. i forget the name of the company but my wife got me a few sample rolls and it is FANTASTIC.

i used it during my lip spoiler install to temporarily hold the lip in place. even in some misty rain no issue coming off and no stretching.

but painter's tape is readily available at local hardware stores so i usually just recommend that to everyone.

Old 06-09-2017, 11:12 AM
5 Year Member
As a follow up to this episode, I had the problem(s) fixed and a Xpel Clear Bra installed. Couldn't be happier.

Old 06-09-2017, 04:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Press Fit
That's a good idea. What is your experience with curved surfaces?
Use less wide strips. Hey, it may be ugly, but protection is what I am looking for on an open highway. I have concluded that you can reuse the strips. I peel it off and tack it in a clean area in the garage. It doesn't loose its stickiness. Cheap, does the job.

Last edited by wasserball; 06-09-2017 at 04:43 PM.
Old 06-12-2017, 07:44 PM
5 Year Member
i just got done installing clearbra on my new R the other day. did the precut on the bumper and bought a roll to do the lip area of the bumper as it requires stretching to install.

i used 3M this time as i found xpel ultra is nice but still collects dirt along the corners after a while. rather pay less than half and redo the bra every 3yrs or so.

Old 06-15-2017, 01:31 PM
5 Year Member
I have to say, I live in the Pacific Northwest, and PDX area, and I really kind of wish I had waited until NOW to buy my new Fit instead of buying it in the fall. Because this winter was brutal.

And IMO The City of Portland is not the most adept city at handling winter storms. The answer does seem to be just dump endless loads of gravel or simply ignore large area's.

Gravel, I'm sure from the winter storm, cost me a windshield replacement. Some chips on the front.
And now? The streets have potholes like a post apocalyptic movie.

It was a tough winter, for the vehicle. And a tough winter on Portland roads.
In the past, I have always (if I can) bought my vehicles in the spring or early summer, so I could enjoy the best of the MPG, and usually have a period of milder weather in which to enjoy the vehicle and break it in.
This is one of the only times, I broke with that protocol and bough in Fall. But recently Portland winters have been mild. But not this past Winter. It was bad.

Couple that with in general, Portlanders not being really use to driving in harsher winter conditions, and I think a city somewhat unprepared to deal with a long term winter hit, and it meant quite a gauntlet for my new Fit.

But we did survive.
Even if I did need a new windshield and had to buy a touch-up paint pen to cover up a few spots.

Old 06-15-2017, 09:47 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
i just got done installing clearbra on my new R the other day. did the precut on the bumper and bought a roll to do the lip area of the bumper as it requires stretching to install.

i used 3M this time as i found xpel ultra is nice but still collects dirt along the corners after a while. rather pay less than half and redo the bra every 3yrs or so.
How difficult was it to install? Thinking of the DIY route using Lamin-X (Suntek) on our Fit.

Quick Reply: Rock Chips