3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2016 Honda Fit, t-boned on drivers side

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 08:32 PM
2016 Honda Fit, t-boned on drivers side

I was t-boned by an suv driver last week who was speeding towards a red light. They claimed they didnt see me, and i have a witness who verified to the cops thay they were speeding. I ended up with a 189$ ticket, my door smashed in and lots of tears. They have like one scratch and a dented license plate. FML.
Still waiting to hear back from insurance about the damage. I'm just so frustrated because I love my little yellow car.

Old 01-22-2017, 09:56 PM
ouch!!

Im hope everyone made it thru it ok.

Old 01-22-2017, 09:58 PM
We did! Thanks. I was the only one in my car and ended up bruised on my left side. And the suv driver and her passenger didn't get a scratch.
I didn't even feel any soreness until the next day, it took a long time for the adrenaline to wear off.

Old 01-22-2017, 10:03 PM
Originally Posted by Krysten Fischer
We did! Thanks. I was the only one in my car and ended up bruised on my left side. And the suv driver and her passenger didn't get a scratch.
I didn't even feel any soreness until the next day, it took a long time for the adrenaline to wear off.
good thing for side airbags. hate to see that to such a new car to.

I bet the suv driver was prob to busy on her phone than paying attention to the road.

Old 01-22-2017, 10:11 PM
Yeah, I bought her back in June and went on 2 cross country trips with her since. I never understood what people meant about loving a car until I bought my little yellow spaceship.

I honestly think that's what happened. The intersection light was red and I was pulling out from Starbucks. The drivers in the lane closest to me waved for me to go and made room for me. I zoomed to the turning lane as quickly as I could with the wet roads and as I was adjusting myself, I saw a speeding black bullet and boom. My front dash cam caught it but stupid progressive said that since the rest of the drivers were braked, there's no way to tell if the suv was speeding.

Old 01-22-2017, 10:11 PM
Now that is a sad sight. Glad that you're ok.

Despite the small size of the car, side crash test results for the 2015-2017 Fits are very good so it seems the Fit did a good job of protecting you. Hopefully you'll be back on the road soon. Good luck to you and let us know how it all turns out.

Old 01-22-2017, 10:14 PM
Thanks, BenQuick!

I was def impressed by the crash protection. Honda engineers are the real MVPs

Hopefully I'll hear back from the auto shop tomorrow. They've had her since Thursday.

Old 01-22-2017, 11:25 PM
5 Year Member
Can you provide a little more information? They were speeding. How was that determined? Did they run a red light? Obviously, they didn't see you. If they did they would have stopped. Lastly, why were you issued a traffic ticket? Putting everything together doesn't make sense. Sorry, the Fit looks bad. I hope you were not injured. I do see the air bags deployed. I also see that the frame under the door got damaged. I would have the shop check the frame alignment as well. The Fit will not run true if the frame is damaged even the slightest. If it were my car, I would settle with the insurance, collect the money, and sell the car as is.

Last edited by wasserball; 01-22-2017 at 11:30 PM.
Old 01-22-2017, 11:56 PM
Hi Wasserball,
the posted speed on the street it happened on is 30 mph and even in the dash cam footage, I can see that they were going faster than 30. The witness who waited with me until the cops came said she saw the suv flying from far behind on her left as she was waiting at the red light. In the video, you can clearly see that the driver was half in the turning lane without a turn signal being used. I'm not sure why they weren't completely in their lane in the first place. I even went back to the street last night with my husband to double check where the turning lane I was in started. I managed to keep my car from spinning out of control after the impact (idk how I did it, it was mostly fear out of hurting anyone, i think), and pulled into the closest parking lot (which is when the witness showed up to ask me if I was okay after what she saw).
The cop wasn't aware that I had dash cam footage. I was honestly too frazzled by everything that had happened to even think about my camera (i forget it's there half the time). The cop just assumed I wasn't paying attention because I probably seemed pretty out of it to him. To be fair, my brand new car got hit like a wrecking ball, it was my first accident, and I was dealing with it all alone. I sent all of my documentation to progressive, I'm just waiting to hear back from them.
My ticket issued was non-traffic and was for inattentive driving. I can accept my part of the blame because I should have been more aware of a vehicle coming towards me, but the suv should have also been paying attention.

Progressive had a tow pick up my car from my hair the next day, and it's currently at a shop they picked. I could see the door damage, my main worry is the unseen frame damage. The shop informed me that they need to completely strip my car down to look at it. I just hope it doesn't take too long.

And no, thankfully myself and no one else was hurt. The other driver walked out away without a bump. Her car still looked pretty damn nice too.

Old 01-23-2017, 12:03 AM
5 Year Member
I'm glad you are well. Accidents are dangerous and shame on the other person. I hate when people use their cellphone while driving.
Also could you upload the video of the dash cam and what model was it? Are you planning to sell your car after the accident or keep it?

The SUV doesn't look damage because the front is the hardest part of a car in a collision meanwhile the side part is the most prone to damage and the weakest point in any car.

Hope you get better soon and happy you are still here. =D

Last edited by KikeDiaz; 01-23-2017 at 12:12 AM.
Old 01-23-2017, 12:16 AM
5 Year Member
I suggest keeping your insurance out of it if you think it was her fault. Having a "ding" in your insurance record is never a good thing. As I said before a car in an accident this badly (slight frame/unibody hit) will never be the same. Yes, I'm critical because I'm an engineer where perfection is expected. Discuss the plan with the adjuster. Let him know that you want the estimated cost to fix the car in a check. Sell the car as is. You may be better off this way. Get a new Fit because you may not know of problems until perhaps later down the road. Then, it may be too late to challenge the repair shop and the insurance adjuster and you will have to live with it. Avoid the potential headaches at all cost. I do understand how you shocked you were after the accident, and probably not at 100 percent mentally when you talked to the police officer.

Last edited by wasserball; 01-23-2017 at 12:22 AM.
Old 01-23-2017, 12:29 AM
Okay, I posted two comments and they aren't showing up. I'm new to posting in this forum so idk.

Wasserball, thanks for the advice. I'll have to talk to my husband about it all when he gets home.

Old 01-23-2017, 12:32 AM
Kikediaz, she was driving a 2012 buick enclave.
Idk how to uplaod the dashcam video, I could barely upload it to my email (my husband had to help me because I'm terrible at technology)

Not sure what to do until I hear back from the autoshop since they currently have my car. I have a sinking feeling I'll have to get another car, which blows because I have so many memories with my little yellow spaceship in the short time I had her.

She may have been using her cell phone, I wouldn't be surprised. The windows look tinted in the video so it's hard to tell. People where I live in Washington are terrible about using their phones while driving, especially trucks/suv driver.

Old 01-23-2017, 12:57 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Krysten Fischer
Kikediaz, she was driving a 2012 buick enclave.
Idk how to uplaod the dashcam video, I could barely upload it to my email (my husband had to help me because I'm terrible at technology).
You may have to load it to youtube and link it here. I am not sure if the forum software has video capability.

Old 01-23-2017, 04:22 AM
5 Year Member
Glad you are ok, my guess is it will be totaled from seeing that impact/frame damage.

Old 01-23-2017, 07:30 AM
5 Year Member
Glad you made it without any serious injury. Biggest form of love is sacrifice, and your little yellow Fit sacrificed itself to protect you. That's the most you can ask from it.

Old 01-23-2017, 07:49 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
sorry to hear. wat caused u to get a 189 ticket though? wasnt it the SUV's fault?

Old 01-23-2017, 05:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
sorry to hear. wat caused u to get a 189 ticket though? wasnt it the SUV's fault?
Post #9 has your answer, not too clear to me.

Old 01-23-2017, 08:16 PM
It always stinks to be in an accident. I'm also glad that nobody was seriously injured.

If there's a ticket and (presumably) a police report, the insurance company is almost certainly going to hear about it regardless of whether or not the poster files a claim. It's also going to be very much an uphill battle to convince the insurers that the SUV was at fault (assuming they did not receive a ticket).

The poster was turning from a driveway (Starbucks) onto the road and getting positioned into a left-turn lane on a multilane road. The driver in the lane closest to the driveway apparently motioned her to proceed, and I gather the SUV must have been driving rather quickly in the next lane over from this stopped driver. It's possible that the SUV driver may have had little time to react, particularly if the stopped vehicle was blocking their view of the Fit, and may have swerved partly in the turn lane instinctively to try to avoid hitting the poster. It's also certainly possible that the SUV driver wasn't paying close enough attention or was going too fast or both. I, of course, have no way of knowing.

One useful take-away from all this is to be very wary of pulling across lanes even when a driver motions you on, since they can't always see (or aren't always looking at) adjacent lanes. I've heard of more than one accident that starts based on that situation.

Old 01-24-2017, 01:22 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DrewE
It always stinks to be in an accident. I'm also glad that nobody was seriously injured.

If there's a ticket and (presumably) a police report, the insurance company is almost certainly going to hear about it regardless of whether or not the poster files a claim. It's also going to be very much an uphill battle to convince the insurers that the SUV was at fault (assuming they did not receive a ticket).

The poster was turning from a driveway (Starbucks) onto the road and getting positioned into a left-turn lane on a multilane road. The driver in the lane closest to the driveway apparently motioned her to proceed, and I gather the SUV must have been driving rather quickly in the next lane over from this stopped driver. It's possible that the SUV driver may have had little time to react, particularly if the stopped vehicle was blocking their view of the Fit, and may have swerved partly in the turn lane instinctively to try to avoid hitting the poster. It's also certainly possible that the SUV driver wasn't paying close enough attention or was going too fast or both. I, of course, have no way of knowing.

One useful take-away from all this is to be very wary of pulling across lanes even when a driver motions you on, since they can't always see (or aren't always looking at) adjacent lanes. I've heard of more than one accident that starts based on that situation.
Very good analysis and the warning to be cautious even if a car give way.

Quick Reply: 2016 Honda Fit, t-boned on drivers side