3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2016 Honda Fit, t-boned on drivers side

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 01:27 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DrewE
The poster was turning from a driveway (Starbucks) onto the road and getting positioned into a left-turn lane on a multilane road. The driver in the lane closest to the driveway apparently motioned her to proceed, and I gather the SUV must have been driving rather quickly in the next lane over from this stopped driver. It's possible that the SUV driver may have had little time to react, particularly if the stopped vehicle was blocking their view of the Fit, and may have swerved partly in the turn lane instinctively to try to avoid hitting the poster. It's also certainly possible that the SUV driver wasn't paying close enough attention or was going too fast or both. I, of course, have no way of knowing.
Not saying this is wrong. But I am asking how do you reach this level of detail about what happened based on the posts within the thread? I've read them several times and I'm still not sure "how" what happened, happened or exactly what happened. outside of obviously there was a collision that impacted the drivers side door, and that I'm getting from just looking at the pictures.

I'm glad nobody was seriously hurt. Wish the OP the best in the whole process of moving on from this incident.

Old 08-30-2018, 08:17 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wasserball
Who is going to swipe the Fit? I keep my finger crossed on the expensive cars. It it is replaceable, it's worth the risk.
A new or newer Fit, while comparatively is a cheaper, entry level vehicle, IMO it's NOT cheap.
I kind of marvel at how we have come to accept that anywhere from $16,000-$21,000 is now considered inexpensive.

A few extra's, a step up the trim level rung, and it's real easy, to almost automatically push the Fit up into the $19.000-$20,000 dollar range. That's driving it off the lot cost. Not to mention any added value with modifications and aftermarket upgrades.

I suppose if I had income and/or savings to the point where the total loss of that value wasn't an issue? Maybe I'd take the risk. But I don't. I can't afford to NOT keep my Fit insured for replacement value and with "my fault" coverage.

Also, I know from experience that the "This Car is so Valueless who would steal it?" approach does not work.
There was a time when my mother couldn't afford much of a vehicle, and was buying some real "clunkers". I originally thought the same thing, when looking at some of the vehicles she had...who would bother to make them a target?
Then she would call me in the morning to tell me her car was missing.

Old 08-30-2018, 11:22 AM
5 Year Member
The problem with older clunkers is that they don't have much in the way of security or locking systems and thus are easier to steal. A new car is going to require a lot more effort.

Old 08-30-2018, 11:49 AM
This thread makes me sad. Stupid people driving heavier and larger land yachts are the reason we can't have nice things.

Old 08-30-2018, 11:52 AM
Originally Posted by fitchet
A new or newer Fit, while comparatively is a cheaper, entry level vehicle, IMO it's NOT cheap.
I kind of marvel at how we have come to accept that anywhere from $16,000-$21,000 is now considered inexpensive.

A few extra's, a step up the trim level rung, and it's real easy, to almost automatically push the Fit up into the $19.000-$20,000 dollar range. That's driving it off the lot cost. Not to mention any added value with modifications and aftermarket upgrades.

I suppose if I had income and/or savings to the point where the total loss of that value wasn't an issue? Maybe I'd take the risk. But I don't. I can't afford to NOT keep my Fit insured for replacement value and with "my fault" coverage.

Also, I know from experience that the "This Car is so Valueless who would steal it?" approach does not work.
There was a time when my mother couldn't afford much of a vehicle, and was buying some real "clunkers". I originally thought the same thing, when looking at some of the vehicles she had...who would bother to make them a target?
Then she would call me in the morning to tell me her car was missing.
Modifications don't add value.

Old 08-30-2018, 12:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Krysten Fischer
I never understood what people meant about loving a car until I bought my little yellow spaceship.
I know this is an old thread but it's cool seeing someone else refer to the Fit as a spaceship. I tell people all the time it's my shuttlecraft spaceship.
Sorry to hear of the accident.

Steve

Old 08-30-2018, 03:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Shadow Smith
I know this is an old thread but it's cool seeing someone else refer to the Fit as a spaceship. I tell people all the time it's my shuttlecraft spaceship.

Steve
Mine is the “TARDIS” (see my avatar), because it’s “bigger on the inside.”

Old 08-30-2018, 04:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Shadow Smith

Steve
Ours is Spacepod Elroy after the Jetsons.

Old 08-31-2018, 04:02 AM
5 Year Member
Not 100% True

Originally Posted by mwoodski
Modifications don't add value.
People say that.
BUT...
I don't buy it.- It depends on the modifications, and the buyer.

Typically you never get the value back, in terms of the cost of the modifications. But you can't tell me that significant upgrades to interior, sound system etc, doesn't create value...it does.

Old 09-03-2018, 11:25 AM
5 Year Member
glad you're alright , but the damage looks like quite a large estimate on the way

Old 09-16-2018, 11:26 AM
Originally Posted by wasserball
Very good analysis and the warning to be cautious even if a car give way.
Very true, most drivers are not giving an "all clear", only give you an "ok" to pull out in front of them. NEVER assume an "all clear" with out full visual conformation.

Old 09-16-2018, 12:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by redracer
Very true, most drivers are not giving an "all clear", only give you an "ok" to pull out in front of them. NEVER assume an "all clear" with out full visual conformation.
You got this right. The good samaritans always make me nervous, they certainly mean well but I'll always do the 'ahh thanks but I'll just wait' gesture unless I'm 1000% sure I'm not getting into a potential sticky situation.