3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Hit and Run - fender bender :(

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 10:45 AM
Hit and Run - fender bender :(

Hey all,

So I left turned on a 4 way stop sign and the driver going the opposite direction thought he'd have some fit of road rage thinking he had right of way, honked at me then pulled a fast turn to pull up on my right then cut me off and stopped. My bumper hit his left rear coming to a stop, then he drove off after I pulled over across the street.

My dash cam only caught the first 6 digits of his license plate with the 6th kinda blurry, and filed a police report 2 days later on the 12th. Tried following up with them and they seemed to label it as a misdemeanor, and since no injuries were involved, said it's between me and my insurance. My AAA insurance said they won't try to identify the other vehicle with the dash cam video and my deductible will be from collision instead of comprehensive.

I'm gonna call the police station and insurance on Mon to follow up again if they will even attempt to identify the other car, but does anyone know about these kinds of cases if either the police or auto insurance has a duty to try to identify the other driver? Or is it simply acceptable for them to say nope, sry, SOL 1 digit of plate missing, you gotta pay outta your collision deductible?

Pic of damage. Not too bad but damn, still sucks and I wanna catch the bastard. The bumper is slightly shifted down but you gotta look for it like through the panel gap. Still thinking if I should bring to a body shop...

Old 05-30-2015, 11:29 AM
5 Year Member
Since it's a digit towards the end, isn't there a database you can search alphanumerically?

I can't answer your question for sure, but as a misdemeanor I think they have that discretion to proceed or not.

Old 05-30-2015, 12:08 PM
That's what I was hoping, that they can run some searches to pull up something. I guess it can be a problem that I only know it was a white Mercedes. Couldn't tell the model but it's pretty new/modern, and I caught a glimpse of the driver even though he had a cap on.

Old 05-30-2015, 06:11 PM
hey do you mind sharing the video maybe i can help. that happened to me 2 times 1st on on my week old acura rsx someone hit the fender overnight and never left a note or anything and the 2nd time on my 2 week old nissan z. maybe a 2nd or 3rd eye can make out the last number then you def can put a claim into the insurance as long as you have a plate and make of the car you can tell them you had a witness

Old 06-04-2015, 10:13 PM
5 Year Member
You can pull car fax reports based on licence plates, just put in the characters you have and the potential ones until you find one for a Mercedes.