2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Honda Fit, Accident Magnet?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 12:36 AM
5 Year Member
Honda Fit, Accident Magnet?

It seems like we've had alot of not-at-fault accident's on the forums.

Never thought it would happen to me...

There I was minding my business at a stop sign when *whack* the guy behind me just ran into me. Apparently he thought I had already left the intersection 17yr old kid driving his mom's lexus, just another statistic. I have to call his insurance company in the morning *sigh* After the accident he mentioned something about bringing my car to his uncle to get it repaired. I laughed out loud in real life. Seriously, though, this is going to be a pain in my ass and I probably wont even be able to get diminished value out of the claim even though it's going to be a hit on the carfax.

Edit: Just double checked the accident report, kid was 16.

You know the funny thing is that I was actually very nice to him. I asked the officer not to give him at ticket, just to fill out an accident report. Though, he did admit fault on a recorded video that he consented to me taking (incase he changes his mind, like almost everyone who is at-fault does when they realize how expensive the damage really is).

I was in an accident similar to this (except I was at-fault) when I was around his age once and the guy I hit was an @$$hole. He came out of his car screaming about how I hit his precious 94 Cadillac (was a POS). It was around 2004 back then. I guess I just didn't want to be like him.

Last edited by Lyon[Nightroad]; 04-19-2010 at 01:02 AM.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:44 AM
5 Year Member
That sucks. Hopefully it's not too much of a hit on the value.

I know accidents happen, but come on, "I thought you left the intersection already", what does that say, the kid was not paying attention whatsoever. Uggghhhhh. These are the type of people I wish would utilize public transportation. They see driving as their given right and not a privilege and then behind the wheel they don't take driving as something serious.

Old 04-19-2010, 12:46 AM
5 Year Member
Kill that Ahole.

Old 04-19-2010, 01:12 AM
5 Year Member
Good thing the police was there. So many people get screwed when they say don't get the cops involved.

Old 04-19-2010, 04:52 AM
the cops out here would automatically make me at fault cause im brown :-(

Old 04-19-2010, 05:15 AM
5 Year Member
sucks that you got hit because it lowers the value, happened to me too. Luckily I plan on keeping this baby for a while.

Old 04-19-2010, 06:47 AM
5 Year Member
It looks like it's just the bumper cover. If it is, it should be under $1000 to repair and shouldn't show up on Carfax. I had the same thing happen to my 2004 RX-8. As long as they match the paint correctly nobody will ever know.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:04 AM
Shouldn't affect your value too much seeing as its not a major structural part, or actual sheetmetal. Still sucks though. I'd had so many close calls with people hitting my Fit it scares me to death. I think its so small people don't see the damn thing.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:06 AM
5 Year Member
Happened to me 2. She thought I had merged with traffic already. I noticed her blabbing on her cell cuz she was hot! Luckily not even a scratch and I spent 10 minutes staring at it to make sure before we parted way.

Makes you think, imagine driving a smart car !!! The fit is small but pretty tall. Its certainly bigger than the mid 90 civics on the road.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:09 AM
Lyon,

Sorry for your luck. I hope it gets fixed fast and correctly.
Same thing happened to my wife. 16 girl turned right into the side of our tsx on a round about. Girl was driving a brand new Lexus her parents bought her.

I don't think the Fit is a magnet...I think there is just a lot of bad drivers out there.

Old 04-19-2010, 12:23 PM
5 Year Member
I'm telling you, the Fit is a CURSED car! Bad juju or something. I hadn't had an accident in 15 years before I bought the Fit. In the first year of Fit ownership, I managed to jam the right front fender on a rock ledge in a dirt road, and hit a deer (cost me a new hood that time).

Sorry about your mishap, but it looks like the damage was superficial, and noone was hurt.

Old 04-19-2010, 12:32 PM
5 Year Member
Aye, just got a quote today. Only about $700 as long as the bumper assembly is fine when we take off the cover.

Old 04-19-2010, 01:09 PM
5 Year Member
This is a funny thread

This is a funny thread... pretty much the same thing happened to me. My car is basically brand spankin new.. 1k miles, 1 month old!

Somebody bumped me last wednesday while I was sitting at a red light. 16 year old kid who hadn't had his license but ~2 weeks and he was driiving his grandma's car. No current proof of insurance either.

It just left some distortion and fine fractures in the paint on the bumper cover so the cheapest fix was ~700 (new OEM bumper cover). I offered the kids dad the opportunity to pay cash and avoid me filing it under my uninsured motorist coverage (TBD on that). I'm WAAAAAAAAAAAY too nice.

Last edited by jondotcom; 04-19-2010 at 01:13 PM.
Old 04-19-2010, 03:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike2100
It looks like it's just the bumper cover. If it is, it should be under $1000 to repair and shouldn't show up on Carfax. I had the same thing happen to my 2004 RX-8. As long as they match the paint correctly nobody will ever know.
$750 and above should show up on carfax, but not sure of the actual mechanics of how it gets triggered. In California, you are supposed to fill out a dmv form for accidents over that amount by law.

Old 04-19-2010, 03:35 PM
5 Year Member
Ouch... Hope u r fine after the accident!

Old 04-19-2010, 04:35 PM
5 Year Member
I just got home after getting being sandwiched on the highway by a civic which rear ended me and a prius that i rear ended. Luckily nothing happened to any one of our cars other than some minor blemishes in the paint and 2 screw indentations from the civic's front license plate on my rear bumper. And also my front license plate looks all crooked as that hit the prius and i guess it absorbed all the impact.

Me being the nice guy that i am, decided not to go through insurance or call the cops since i see no real damage and so did the driver of the prius. My deductible is $1k and i highly doubt replacing a rear bumper could cost that much.

So yeah...i vote this car is an accident magnet.

Old 04-19-2010, 05:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by tdesi420
I just got home after getting being sandwiched on the highway by a civic which rear ended me and a prius that i rear ended. Luckily nothing happened to any one of our cars other than some minor blemishes in the paint and 2 screw indentations from the civic's front license plate on my rear bumper. And also my front license plate looks all crooked as that hit the prius and i guess it absorbed all the impact.
Me being the nice guy that i am, decided not to go through insurance or call the cops since i see no real damage and so did the driver of the prius. My deductible is $1k and i highly doubt replacing a rear bumper could cost that much.
So yeah...i vote this car is an accident magnet.
Maybe people like our cars so much they come in for a closer look then "bang!"

Unfortunately, since our bumpers don't come painted from honda, the ~$200 part for each bumper ends up around $700 each with paint and installation.

You should check out the youtube honda fit 3 and 5 mph test... pretty scary how it can be if they miss the bumper!

Old 04-19-2010, 06:53 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Sorry to hear about your accident and hope you can get it fixed pretty fast. I don't know why people don't seem to be able to see our cars - come on people they are not that small!

Cat :x

Old 04-19-2010, 10:04 PM
5 Year Member
I think everyones car is different and one kind of car can't be catagorized as having a 'whamy'. Keep in mind Lyon, that was a newbie mistake by a kid that you were unfortunate to get stuck in. That's why kids shouldn't be behind the wheel. Was there a licensed driver training the kid? In NY, if there wasn't that would be a problem for them.

You could say it's the individuals luck, not the car. Or you can say that it's just a numbers game and sooner or later, all our numbers come up. But I kinda do subscribe to cars having their own personal aura about them. All of my cars seem to have had it. One was a break downer, one was an accident car, one was a magnet for cops even when I was behaving myself, one got a kill on it very early on in ownership- a squirrle- and the engine went belly up soon after that. You NEVER want to get an early kill on a car! LOL! And now my Fit, which seems to have the aura of giving me peace...for a change! I got a little tire drama going at the moment, but that's small potatoes all things considered.

Look at it this way- your chances of being rear ended again have gone down dramatically now! Sorry it happened though and I hope all goes well to get it fixed.

Dan

Last edited by Shockwave199; 04-19-2010 at 10:06 PM.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:54 AM
5 Year Member
I feel your pain...I haven't even had my fit for a year yet and it's already been hit twice. Neither one of them were my fault, crystal black seems to attract bad drivers.

Quick Reply: Honda Fit, Accident Magnet?